Smokeless Tobacco

TimmyBoston
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

...I've dipped/chewed maybe 15 times, randomly, since this thread started...

Isn't it funny how that happens. I've noticed I have been chewing a lot more frequently since I started reading this. I have also been actively looking for a local store which sells Mail Pouch.

I picked up a package of pack of Mammoth Cave twist tobacco. Has anyone else ever tried/heard of twist before? It's, uh, different, for the lack of a better word.

On a related note, I saw an article in the printed news a few days ago. I will try to find an online link. It seems that the government has been sternly warning for the past few years that smokeless tobacco products are just as dangerous to health as smoking, but the research data does not and never has shown that. Some organization is suing them to only disseminate warnings based on the actual research findings, based on some federal law that that is what they are supposed to do.

Which is kind of funny, don't you think? When I was a kid and we were sitting down with friends to play a game, such as Monopoly or Strat-o-Matic baseball, we had to declare, "No fair cheating!", else cheating was not proscribed. The law referred to seems like the same thing.

Note: A quick online news search did not turn up a link, but I did see this in a major newspaper just a few days ago.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Back many years ago I did my turn at chewing tobacco and snuff. I ended up with mail pouch because I didn't care for so much molasses sweetness such as what red man and levi garrett has. I also did the days o work plug and tried the twist tobacco which was too strong for me. The snuff of choice in the end was Kodiak. I used to work for the railroad back when drinking on the job was pretty much overlooked including participation by management. The veterans which I felt I was included drank beer and chewed tobacco at the same time. We called it sliding it by [sliding the beer by the tobacco]. I'm retired now so they can't get back at me for it.

I am free of snuff and tobacco now but I still crave it and could easily go back to the practice. I live out in the country now so maybe I'll go get me a pack of mail pouch and see if it still tastes the same.

bj

• 8 months later...
Many moons ago I enjoyed Copenhagen. Many moons before that when on the farm as a young teenager, Redman was in most farmers bibs and so when I got a chew that was generally what it was.

My first (and last) carve of a plug came on the street in Midland, Texas at age 20 from a gentleman that looked to be about mid 80's. Who by the way after I took the plug and said "Thanks", spat at my foot and said "damn yankee".

Be thankful that this exchange didn't happen in Odessa! Yikes!

• 3 months later...

FWIW I dip Cope Straight and Kodiak Wintergreen, chew Levi Garrett:yum: mmmm sweet. I also smoke a pipe in the evening or weekends, I only dip at work.

• 9 months later...

I picked up a cut of some Days o Work chewing tobacco. It doesn't say plug style on the package but other brands I've seen online that come in seemingly identical packaging say plug on them. Anyone know if this is plug? It looks like a solid block of chewing tobacco pressed together and it feels pretty hard, one review I read said that you cut a square of it off to chew. In any case I'm looking forward to trying this one a little later or tomorrow.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.