Thomas H. Handy Sazerac by Buffalo Trace

clayton
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I noticed this in today's email from LeNell's:

Buffalo Trace Antique Collection in the fall will not only include Stagg, Eagle 17, and Weller, but will also introduce a rye called Thomas H. Handy Sazerac. This will be an uncut, unfiltered whiskey named in honor of the bartender attributed with first using rye in the Sazerac cocktail back in the late 1800's at the Sazerac Coffeehouse in New Orleans. Get on the waiting list now.

First I've heard that. Sounds great!

Also sounds like the end of the Sazerac 18.

As long as its price is in line with the rest of the Antique Collection, I'd be quite interested in the Thomas Handy. The thought of "rye's answer to Stagg" makes my mouth water. :pope:

That being said, this makes me even more reluctant to open my remaining bottle of Saz 18 - even though such opening is inevitable...

My information says that they will continue with Saz 18, at least for now. Don't hold me to it though.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! That's being on top of things!

A quick check shows the label being approved just days ago, but the printable version is not available, which is too bad as thats where all the juicy details tend to be hidden. I'll keep an eye out and see if it shows up and holds any yummy info.

Since it is apparently going to be part of the Antique Collection, I assume it will be double-digit in age and high proof ("uncut") like Stagg. This is great because I once tasted a very old rye that UD had at barrel proof and it was dandy.

I have to say I am beside myself in anxiousness awaiting this uncut unfiltered Rye! I love rye it just always seems to me like it needs to be higher proof, maybe that is why I seem to think WT is the best being 101 and all. So the thought of a 120+/- proof Rye just makes me salivate, oh wait that could also be because I am watching Iron Chef Amreica right now :slappin: and damn does the stuff they cook look good :yum: , but I digress, BRING ON THE HIGH PROOF RYE!!!!

• 4 months later...

Generally I am a Single Malt Scotch drinker. The Aberlour a'bunadh is my favorite. A local liquor store had the :bowdown: Thomas Handy Rye and let me try some. Let me say it is fantastic. It may have made me a rye drinker. It is very warm, with a lot of vanilla and caramel on the finish. If you can actually find some I would very highly recommend it.

• 5 weeks later...

I was killing time at "The Cork" liquor store, while my girls were at ballet, browsing the bourbons. I remarked to the clerk that they didn't restock the AH Hirsch 16 and even removed the shelf label. (I had bought the last 2 bottles the week before). To console me he offered me a pour of Saz Rye which I found quite enjoyable at 10:30 am. and then a pour of Thomas H. Handy barrel proof at 132.7. My first thought was that he was trying to separtate the men from the boys at the sampling bar. It was nice to try it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.