Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

Ingmar Bergman's Scenes From A Marriage. Mairanne's estranged husband requests a whiskey and he gets a pour from an Old Grand-Dad bottle.

Pardon me if I am wrong, but I searched the thread and did not see Down Periscope. Jim Beam is added to the fuel mixture for that little extra boost.

Speaking of Four Roses Yellow Label, it appears prominently in a barroom scene in last year's Rocky Balboa. And, yes, it's pure fiction - Four Roses isn't sold in Philly.

And in the original Rocky as well. His scumbag brother in law takes a snort off a pint of it while he and Rocky are having a heated discussion. The scene is in the meat locker, and we all know what Sly was doing in there. :lol:

Good thing they didn't add Stagg or they'd have passed the torpedo to the target ship!

I'm embarrassed that I didn't get the name but the other day while channel surfing I came across a TV rerun for one of the current forensic shows where two characters were talking, one sitting at a table with a good look at the back of a WT 101 bottle. He took a drink and the other guy came over and corked the bottle. No front lable with the name but there's no mistaking the bird on the back.

I just watched season one of Heros and in one of the episodes is a good shot of a Maker's Mark bottle. It's funny how often I see whiskey in movies or TV since I have been looking for it.

One of my favorite movies: Alfred Hichcock's 'North by Northwest' (1959).

In the initial setup, bourbon is not only shown, but also plays an important role as part of the means to try to kill the Roger Thornhill character (Cary Grant). Not a very flattering use for bourbon of course, but it is all very classy, trust me.

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/mptv/1073/Mptv/1073/5667-0005.jpg.html?path=gallery&path_key=0053125

Can anybody NTB? (Name that Bourbon?). it's about to be grabbed by Martin Landau.

post-2528-14489813508601_thumb.jpg

...Can anybody NTB? (Name that Bourbon?). it's about to be grabbed by Martin Landau.

Looks, to me, most like an I.W. Harper label. To its left is either Old Overholt rye, or Century Bonded bourbon.

post-367-14489813508717_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
And in the original Rocky as well. His scumbag brother in law takes a snort off a pint of it while he and Rocky are having a heated discussion. The scene is in the meat locker, and we all know what Sly was doing in there. :lol:

Choking the Chickens? :blush: :grin:

JOE

Featured in the movie The Hot One are Virginia Madsen, Jennifer Connelly and I.W.Harper.

The movie was The Hot Spot; Jennifer Connelly was (and is) the Hot One.

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't bourbon and it wasn't a movie, but I was just watching an episode of the Addams Family my TiVo recorded as a suggestion, and, when a visitor said, "I need a drink", Thing helpfully popped up with a pint bottle.

I couldn't read all the details, but it said

8-STAR

HEMLOCK

WHISKEY

BOTTLED IN BOND

XX PROOF

HEMLOCK DISTILLERIES

I am guessing at the last line because it is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure.

The proof I think was 90, but it was definitely two digits, which is why I had to go back and freeze frame it. 90 proof for a bottled in bond whiskey! What a horrible error!

Several bottles of JB:Black are seen at the bar that R obtains Ria at in Natural City.

In a really bad crime-comedy movie called "The Big Bounce", stars Morgan Freeman and Owen Wilson are playing dominoes and drinking bourbon. WT gets several clear shots of the front label. Sad thing is, Willie Nelson is playing dominoes with them and he didn't get the whiskey named for him in the movie!

Probably doesn't matter as I don't think many people went to this movie.

Randy

I watched The House on the Edge of the Park (or, more properly, La Casa Sperduta Nel Parco) this weekend and even after stepping through this one scene I still can't figure out what Alex has in his hand. Looks like it's Evan Williams black or Jack Daniels but at the same time neither....

I watched The House on the Edge of the Park (or, more properly, La Casa Sperduta Nel Parco) this weekend and even after stepping through this one scene I still can't figure out what Alex has in his hand. Looks like it's Evan Williams black or Jack Daniels but at the same time neither....

A made up brand?

One thing that has always perplexed me is the prevalence of "fake or made up brands of consumer products depicted both in movies and television. Even to the point where a character will walk into a bar and order "beer". OK, someone might order a gin and tonic or even a bourbon and Coke and not "call the brand", but come on.

I'm on a roll here; in Hated: GG Allin and the Murder Junkies we not only see GG drinking Jim Beam White but we also see that he has a (real) tattoo of the bottle on him! :) According to the narrator it was his favorite. GG was buried with a bottle of Jim Beam in his hand but it was probably empty because people kept taking it out of his hands and drinking from it during the wake. This wasn't in the documentary but there is a tape of it floating around out there I believe.

A made up brand?

Possibly, they never give you a good look at the bottle and the only reference to it that is made is when Lisa says "I think that deserves a drink." (or something to that effect...) They show another bottle in another scene who's name you can clearly see but it definitely wasn't bourbon, maybe I'll check later to see if that was a real brand but I just put the LD away.

edit: Alright, I kept thinking about it so I got it back out. The other bottle, who's label you can clearly see, is green glass and says "Martini". It's not Martini & Rossi, just "Martini". Couldn't find anything on google; they're probably both fake.