Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

I recently watched "High Crimes" with Ashley Judd and Morgan Freeman. Freeman falls off the wagon in a motel room with two hookers and a witness he's trying to get info from. They drink bourbon, but I can't tell what it is.

I didn't watch from the set with the DVR. Anyone know what it was?

Freeman falls off the wagon in a motel room with two hookers and a witness he's trying to get info from. They drink bourbon, but I can't tell what it is.

If they weren't drinking Old Tub, they should have been!

I was watching a Bio on Evel Knievel and he would do a shot of Wild Turkey before each jump. Not quite the movies but, heck we all saw him on television.

I know it's not bourbon but I spy a bottle of Four Roses Blended in Zombie Holocaust (aka Dr. Butcher M.D.) during the scene where Lori and Dr. Chandler discuss the expedition to Kito.

• 2 weeks later...

I caught the tail end of Funny Farm with Chevy chase the other day. By the end he is really derailing and drinking Dickel strait from the bottle. Is that what they mean by medicinal purposes?

I watched about 20 minutes of Factotum and I saw Old Fitzgerald twice and an order for two bottles of Evan Williams. There might be a lot of whiskey in that one.

• 3 weeks later...

'There Will Be Blood.' Saw this one yesterday and wow! Another brilliant work by P. T. Anderson. Daniel Day-Lewis did an absolutely amazing job. I think that this film may have broken the mold of modern day cinema. It's like standing before a Picasso, Miro or a Rothko. It's challenging. It excersises the emotions. It's like Kafka on screen. I wish that I had not read anything about it before I saw it because it would have had even more of an impact. Therefore, I won't say anything else other than: there was a lot of bourbon consumed in this movie!

'There Will Be Blood.' Saw this one yesterday and wow! Another brilliant work by P. T. Anderson. Daniel Day-Lewis did an absolutely amazing job. I think that this film may have broken the mold of modern day cinema. It's like standing before a Picasso, Miro or a Rothko. It's challenging. It excersises the emotions. It's like Kafka on screen. I wish that I had not read anything about it before I saw it because it would have had even more of an impact. Therefore, I won't say anything else other than: there was a lot of bourbon consumed in this movie!

I saw the trailer for There Will Be Blood when we saw No Country For Old Men (which was great) and I can't wait to see it.

I did hear however that Upton Sinclair's story may be hard to recognize.

I haven't read it but I understand that Anderson's movie is a very loose adaptation of Oil!. I believe that the book was more of an inspiration. (Perhaps a testament to Anderson's writing abilities.) Yeah, 'No Country for Old Men' is next on my list. I'm looking forward to that one.

I have not read the book but in No Country For Old Men the psyco-killer is maybe a ghost or some sort of super natural being. In the movie there is only one scene where this idea is possible.

Don't worry I have not ruined it for you.

There is a movie on Encore right now about Black Fraternities and Steppin groups. The movie is call STOMP THE YARD near the end in the backround you can see a Makers Mark bottle.

Tony

Has anyone been able to make out what the bourbon is in Casablanca, in the scene when Rick is meeting Ferrrari in the marketplace? I'm watching it again now, and it looks like the last part might say "Hill", but that's impressionistic more then literal.

Not a movie but I was watching Law and Order, the original, tonite and Briscoe and Green were at a writers house to ask him questions. The guy offered them a drink, gin...scotch...vodka then said he was having a bourbon and grabbed a bottle of Makers Mark.

Randy

• 1 month later...

In the 1971 cult classic Two Lane Blacktop, Warren Oats, who's character is known only as GTO, can be seen filling a large flask with Jack. The bottle isn't displayed prominently and if your eyes aren't glued to the screen you'll miss it. The scene is made more memorable by the fact he gets pretty trashed and after sleeping it off walks into a diner and orders an Alka-Selzer and a hamburger.

maybe it's been mentioned already but we watched the Big Lebowski for the hundredth time the other night and I think I spotted a Wild Turkey in Maude's "bar". Looked like a Glenmorangie tube in the back as well, but the DVD image is quite grainy so hard to be sure of either.

I bought the now-near-defunct HD-DVD during last fall's Wal-Mart $99 sale, figuring, at worst, I'd get a decent upgrade from my previous low-cost player. Now, I'm cherry-picking the remains of HD-DVD discs while they disappear. Am watching "Top Gun" ($14.95 at Target) right now.

This has nothing to do with bourbon, except that I'm drinking some (Parker's HC/122.6 proof) -- and I don't know how anyone else feels about it -- but when that opening scene comes on and they're playing "Danger Zone" while that aircraft carrier deck crew gets planes aboard, it gives me chills every times. Because they're out there really doing it, all the time.

God bless 'em!:toast:

By the way, I have the last flight formation of the F-14 before moth-balling saved to disk somewhere. What an awesome airplane!

Goldeneye...what seems to be Bond's first closed door meeting with the new "M",

M - “Would you care for a drink?â€

Bond replies, “Thank you. Your predecessor kept some Cognac in the top drawer of—â€

M interjects, “I prefer bourbon.

• 4 weeks later...

In George A. Romero's Diary of the Dead the professor takes bottle of Maker's Mark into the panic room. During the first 1/2 of the movie he drinks from a flask several times and mentions bourbon.

Not bourbon... Or a movie... In the show "New Amsterdam" the guy asks for a bottle of their best single malt and is brought a bottle of Johnnie Walker green.

Not bourbon... Or a movie... In the show "New Amsterdam" the guy asks for a bottle of their best single malt and is brought a bottle of Johnnie Walker green.

I suppose it would have sounded cumbersome to say: Bring me your best bottle of vatted, all-malt blend.

Not a movie and not a bourbon but it's related, Mr Talbot gets a pour of George Dickel on the house after loosing his job as prison executioner in the first episode of HBO's Tales From the Crypt, The Man Who Was Death.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it has already been posted, but Billy Bob Thorton's drink of choice is a shot of old grand dad in the movie Bad Santa. The movie is absolutely hysterical (but very "tasteless"). If any of you guys have seen it, it really fits BBT's character (just based on the general public's perception of OGD: its a little rough around the edges).

Also: Old Forrester. at the end of the movie Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, there is a bottle of Old Forester in the background. It is another hysterical movie, but you must follow it closely. Just make sure you get the American version with Robert Downey JR and Val Kilmer because the original is a French movie.

Billy Bob Thorton's drink of choice is a shot of old grand dad in the movie Bad Santa.

A shot of OGD? Most of the movie he's sucking it straight outta the bottle.

I love that movie...I always watch it countless times at Christmas, just to get me in the spirit of things:lol:

Scott

Thats funny cause I was just about to post about that, Nicholson ordering bourbon and receiving tenn. whisk(e)y.

also: in the show seinfeld, the "dinner party" episode from i think the fourth season (if not, its the third or fifth). Anyways, There's a big display of WT 101, and I'm pretty sure thats what george knocks over with his overly large puffed up "gore tex" coat.

I don't know if someone got this already but in the Bond movie Goldeneye. James Bond meets with the new M character. She offers him a drink. Bond tells her that person that was in her position before her always kept Cognac in his desk and she responds that she prefers Bourbon, and then pours some out of a glass decanter.