Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

In Devil in a Blue Dress Denzel Washington is sitting at a run-down bar with a bottle of Old Fitz BIB in front of him. The bottle is sideways so you can just barely make out the label.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched "Black Snake Moan."

Justin Timberlake had a bottle of Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel. The person who he thought was his friend was drinking directly from the bottle. Needless to say, Justin was a little pissed off after that. He showed a little more restraint than I would have.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a bottle of OGD and WT (101, I think) on the shelf at Joe's bar in Psychos In Love. Later on in the movie there is a bottle of OGD114 on another part of the shelf.

In American Graffitti, Toad (played by Charles Martin Smith) gets an adult (actually a robber) to get him and his girl (played by Candy Clark) a bottle of Old Harper's.

He proceeds to have a good time with his girl and then puking his guts out.

• 2 weeks later...

A coworker let me borrow his complete set of "Ghost In The Shell - Stand Alone Complex" (which is an anime series), to watch. Last night I saw episode 16 from season 1. A couple of guys go into a bar for a drink, and they drink Blanton's, there are some good detailed closeups of the bottle. One guy spills some when pouring and the other guy says something like "Hey watch it, that's expensive stuff".

• 5 weeks later...

Went and saw Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson. In addition to the expected massive amounts of Wild Turkey he was famous for, there was also many other bottles, but the only one I caught was the Blantons.

Just watched "Empire of the Sun" the other night. It's a decent WWII flick--with a great performance by a then 13-year old Christian Bale--though the film has it's requisite Speilberg moments, if you know what I mean.

At any rate, in the scene where he first meets the John Malcovitch character, there's a shot of a radio playing with a bottle of bonded Old Overholt next to it.

Mmmm...

I was watching the original 1962 Frank Sinatra "Manchurian Candidate" last night and there is a quick moment when Sen. John "Johnny" Yerkes Iselin (James Gregory) is signaling an aid to bring him a "bourbon and water," but the request is accompanied by hand gestures in which he specifies a lot of bourbon and a little bit of water.

Great movie, by the way.

I was watching the new trailer for 'Appaloosa' and noticed a few shots where there was some bourbons shelved behind the bar. I've uploaded some pics, is that an old sazerac bottle on the shelf or am i imagining things? Anyone know what the other bottles are? :grin:

post-3711-14489814434779_thumb.jpg

post-3711-14489814435093_thumb.jpg

Neil Patrick Harris takes a swig from a bottle of Jim D... (hand was covering the rest of the fake label) Kentucky Whiskey as he drives Harold and Kumar to Texas in Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay.

I was watching the new trailer for 'Appaloosa' and noticed a few shots where there was some bourbons shelved behind the bar. I've uploaded some pics, is that an old sazerac bottle on the shelf or am i imagining things? Anyone know what the other bottles are? :grin:

What is the time setting for that movie? I'm curious how historically correct it would be to have bottled whiskey behind the bar.

What is the time setting for that movie? I'm curious how historically correct it would be to have bottled whiskey behind the bar.

I think the 1966 version starring Marlon Brando was set in the 1870s...

In The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor there are old style bottles (the movie is set in the 40's) of Old Overholt and, I believe, Old Taylor on the bar at a night club called Imhotep's.

In Spiderman 3 there is the briefest shot of a bottle of Maker's Mark breaking and catching fire. Saw it last night.:grin:

• 1 month later...

Jim Beam White and Evan Williams black sit on the bar in Junie's Lounge in City of the Living Dead, advertisements for Early Time are also visible on the walls.

Was watching The Sting again last week. Noticed an add for a whiskey on one of the buildings. I believe it was Old Forester, but I'm not 100% positive. Joe

Was watching a show on the WB or whatever that chanel is calling itself this week....a show called Easy Money.

I noticed while the main family's father was at their local pawn shop union meeting...he pulled out a handle of Old Crow at the buffet.

Also, later in the show the wife was seen pouring him a rocks glass of Jack Daniels.

• 1 month later...

In Nekromantik II Monika pours herself a bit of Jim Beam White Label as she suits up to go tearfully dismember the corpse of Rob, the main character from the first movie. Afterwards she has another glass and a smoke.

Sterling Hayden in Asphalt Jungle delivers the classic line "Why don't you quit your crying and get me some bourbon!" and also has a line about how the Kentucky water makes the whiskey taste so good. Excellent flick!

I stumbled across this one a couple of nights ago.

No mention of the brand of bourbon but in "Goldfinger", him and Bond were drinking Mint Juleps.

Goldfinger ask Bond, "Is your Julep tart enough?"

I did see the excellent Christmas movie “bad Santa†2 days ago and he did drink old Granddad among all sort of other booze.

Leif

not sure if THIS has been noted yet....but just got back from a party...and WHO KILLED ROGER RABBIT is on....i swear the bob hoskins character (detective) swigged from a small bottle of WILD TURKEY!

I was watching Bad Santa with Billy Bob Thornton.

There's a scene where he freeloads in a kid's house and he soaks in the whirlpool tub.

Theres a bottle of Old Grand Dad on the edge of the tub with a rocks glass and ice.

Nice Touch.

Not a movie - But House is a bourbon drinker =- switched from Jack Daniels to Makers Mark to McCormick (I think - tough label to read)