Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

Not movies, but tv,

I finally got to watch the episode of A Chef's Life where they go to KY for an episode mostly about Bourbon.

First stop was Jefferson's.  They talk about Bourbon finished in an old Tabasco barrel.  Vivian has the idea to add some old wood from a tobacco barn to a barrel of Bourbon.  I have to confess, neither of these ideas appeal to me.

The high point of the show is a personal tour of Maker's Mark with Mr. Samuels.  That was great.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watching The Predator over the weekend, there's a Michter's bottle in the background. It looks like a green label (rye), but with a goldy neck.. might be the 25 rye but seems elaborate for a prop? 

image.thumb.png.cade68d946318306364d5ac8b0d8d789.png

• 3 weeks later...

Probably this has been posted.

But, if not.

In Dirty Harry, while Harry was talking with his boss, Harry asked him if he had "a belt of booze around here". The Lt. pulled a bottle of Old Fitzgerald from his desk. 

Cool

• I like it 2

I've been gradually working my way through the Justified series collection, because I hadn't watched it during its original run.   Tonight's episode from season 3 had WT101 and PVW15.  Nothing new to many of y'all on here I'm sure.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

I've been gradually working my way through the Justified series collection, because I hadn't watched it during its original run.   Tonight's episode from season 3 had WT101 and PVW15.  Nothing new to many of y'all on here I'm sure.

Man!   That series is just about the BEST T-V ever, eh?     Raylan is sooooo cool under pressure, and so often shown with our favorite spirit in his glass.   

His boss is a hoot too, with his long-suffering-admiration-yet-frustration with our hero.   Enjoy, Kepler!    I may have to resurrect it and watch it for the third (or 4th?) time myself this summer.

• I like it 1

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:20 PM, Richnimrod said:

Just watched the latest episode of NCIS NOLA (from last night).    In an early scene, Dwayne Pride (Scott Bakula) is asking Loretta (C. C. H. Pounder) to join him in some Eagle Rare in the evening (after a particularly harrowing and dramatic couple days), she responds she'll do so; but he has to upgrade to Pappy Van Winkle 20-year-old.      In the closing scenes a bottle of Pappy 20 is poured into 2-glasses for the two to share.   Pretty easy for Pride to get, I guess.   He owns a tavern/night club.    Not for us common folx, though.

I just watched that episode recently! What does Mark Harmon drink in his basement on the original NCIS series?

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Man!   That series is just about the BEST T-V ever, eh?     Raylan is sooooo cool under pressure, and so often shown with our favorite spirit in his glass.   

His boss is a hoot too, with his long-suffering-admiration-yet-frustration with our hero.   Enjoy, Kepler!    I may have to resurrect it and watch it for the third (or 4th?) time myself this summer.

Raylan doesn’t have a favorite spirit! He just drinks ‘Jim Bean’ or ‘Piper Van Winkle’ or whatever anybody gives him. It’s part of his always angry all the time persona. He just drinks. 

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Raylan doesn’t have a favorite spirit! He just drinks ‘Jim Bean’ or ‘Piper Van Winkle’ or whatever anybody gives him. It’s part of his always angry all the time persona. He just drinks. 

Raylan does indeed have a favorite spirit!   BOURBON!   It's easy like a "Summer Day", according to Raylan....

6 hours ago, steve-in-kville said:

I just watched that episode recently! What does Mark Harmon drink in his basement on the original NCIS series?

I've wondered that myself, Steve... 

At times I've been pretty sure it was Maker's Mark; and at other times I'm less certain.    Once or twice I thought it may have been a Scotch (but that seems out of character for Leroy Jethro Gibbs).     I can't recall why I had the idea that it may have been a Scotch.    I just love the way he'll dump out a few nails (or some such), blow the dust from that small jar, and pour in the hooch.   HA!

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I really have no idea what you guys are talking about, but the above quote had me laughing pretty hard. I'm pretty sure I know this guy!

20 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I just love the way he'll dump out a few nails (or some such), blow the dust from that small jar, and pour in the hooch.   HA!

Now I mystified.  What wrong with doing this?  It keeps bread crumbs and tobacco bits from falling in the garage bottle.  Just saying.

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...

The premise of the off and on (1997-2016) British comedy/drama series, "Jonathan Creek", is:  " Working from his home in a converted windmill, Jonathan Creek is a magician with a natural ability for solving puzzles. He soon puts this ability to the use of solving impossible crimes and mysterious murders."

So, I'm hooked.  Tonight's episode, "The Seer of the Sands" (Season 4, Episode 4) aired in England in FEB 2004, and started out with a guy reading a FAX (remember, it was filmed in early 2004) who then grabs a sealed bottle of MM, peels off the seal, drinks about 1/4 of the bottle, then gets in a power boat and runs it into a pile of rocks, smashing the boat and causing is carcass to land, remarkably unblemished, in the surf.  When a beach jogger who knows the bad driver returns with the guy's manservant, the carcass is GONE.

I still can't get over the guy swigging large gulps of MM straight from the bottle.  Even I can't do that without making a face.  Small sips, yeah, but . . .

Got another 35 minutes before the "puzzle" gets solved.  OGD BIB will get me there.

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

Draper getting some killer OGD!

2166196A-3EEC-4E0C-87BE-18A1E2B397CB.jpeg

Except for the fact that the guy has hair, THAT COULD BE ME ON ANY WEEKNIGHT!!

EDIT - Note the tax strip.  The Key Grip for this show should get a bonus for attention to detail.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Key Grip praise.
  • I like it 3

On 7/23/2019 at 5:09 PM, Mako254 said:

Draper getting some killer OGD!

2166196A-3EEC-4E0C-87BE-18A1E2B397CB.jpeg

I finally got around to watching that show in the spring.....Draper is ready to throw back some bourbon at the drop of a hat! 

• 2 months later...

I just watched a movie I'd recorded on the DVR a few weex ago; Devil in a Blue Dress, with Denzel Washington.   The movie seems to be set in the thirties or very early forties, in California.

In a couple of the early scenes we see two different people in two separate places pour from two different bottles of Old Fitzgerald.

Much later in the movie we 3 of the characters pretty much kill a fifth of Kentucky Tavern in a kitchen in one of their homes.

Pretty good movie, I thought.   One of the main themes was about the color line in the 'supposedly' Land of the Free.

Except for the fact that the guy has hair, THAT COULD BE ME ON ANY WEEKNIGHT!!

EDIT - Note the tax strip.  The Key Grip for this show should get a bonus for attention to detail.

Yeah beat me to it, that tax strip, and older label, nicely done.

Last week I watched 1974's Cockfighter, with Warren Oates and Harry Dean Stanton.

Old Crow bottles were everywhere.

A very cool look into a dark southern subculture, and a film that could not be made now. Probably not for everyone.

Directed by the amazing Monte Hellman, who also did Two Lane Blacktop (the greatest studio editing tragedy of all time [yes, I'm including The Magnificent Ambersons]. At least an hour of that amazing movie was cut, lost, and never recovered)

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if already posted but someone on Bourbonr of on FB pointed out this quote that I’ve never paid attention to I guess. Don’t know how I’ve never heard it.

Eddie: “Yeah, I got the daughter in the clinic, getting cured off the Wild Turkey.”

• I like it 3

On 11/8/2019 at 8:57 AM, marshall9779 said:

Not sure if already posted but someone on Bourbonr of on FB pointed out this quote that I’ve never paid attention to I guess. Don’t know how I’ve never heard it.

Eddie: “Yeah, I got the daughter in the clinic, getting cured off the Wild Turkey.”

Clark: Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

• I like it 3

Last week I watched 1974's Cockfighter, with Warren Oates and Harry Dean Stanton.

Old Crow bottles were everywhere.

A very cool look into a dark southern subculture, and a film that could not be made now. Probably not for everyone.

Directed by the amazing Monte Hellman, who also did Two Lane Blacktop (the greatest studio editing tragedy of all time [yes, I'm including The Magnificent Ambersons]. At least an hour of that amazing movie was cut, lost, and never recovered)

What an odd film, Harry Dean Stanton, sign me up. Was M. Emmet Walsh also in it?

Such a great subtle Cousin Eddie gens, one of many. I think I’m going to be cousin Eddie for Halloween next year.

IMG_8373.gif.c78e36ac8bfbe0f933234a919e9a56ab.gif

• I like it 2

Such a great subtle Cousin Eddie gens, one of many. I think I’m going to be cousin Eddie for Halloween next year.

Adjustments.jpg
  • I like it 4