Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

Just watched Season 3, Episode 8 of The Mind of a Chef with Edward Lee. It’s the Bourbon episode. He mentions that Ancient Age is 10 years old and Rye must be made with 100% rye. 

3 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

Just watched Season 3, Episode 8 of The Mind of a Chef with Edward Lee. It’s the Bourbon episode. He mentions that Ancient Age is 10 years old and Rye must be made with 100% rye. 

Is it really 10 years old?  What's that make Ancient Ancient Age?  

Sorry, if there is sarcasm in this comment, I missed it lol.

21 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Is it really 10 years old?  What's that make Ancient Ancient Age?  

Sorry, if there is sarcasm in this comment, I missed it lol.

They were two things he said that were completely wrong. Ancient Age is 3 years and Rye only has to be 51% Rye. 

On 11/8/2019 at 7:57 AM, marshall9779 said:

Not sure if already posted but someone on Bourbonr of on FB pointed out this quote that I’ve never paid attention to I guess. Don’t know how I’ve never heard it.

Eddie: “Yeah, I got the daughter in the clinic, getting cured off the Wild Turkey.”

Indeed that's one of many classic quotes from that film

• I like it 1

Went to see Ford vs Ferrari last weekend. Any racing fan or car guy should go see it. Caroll Shelby was a true American icon.

Classic Wild Turkey 101 made a brief appearance in an early scene.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

11 hours ago, Kepler said:

Went to see Ford vs Ferrari last weekend. Any racing fan or car guy should go see it. Caroll Shelby was a true American icon.

Classic Wild Turkey 101 made a brief appearance in an early scene.

Ah, the memories.  I was in the Army Ranger School in 1967, and one of the Ranger School cadre had a 1967 Shelby GT350 Mustang baby blue with white stripes.  The Shelbys had these little chrome posts sticking up through the hood with circle clips inserted through the posts' eyes, ostensibly to keep the hood from flying up at high speeds.  Instead of circle clips, he'd put little chromed Master padlocks through the post eyes.  It just didn't look "right".

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Instead of circle clips, he'd put little chromed Master padlocks through the post eyes.  It just didn't look "right".

I can see why, though! I'm sure he caught someone under the hood in those days.

Now he wouldn't have to worry about it - the modern shade tree mechanic sits under a tree in the shade while Jiffy Lube changes the oil.

• I like it 1

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:12 AM, Kepler said:

I've been gradually working my way through the Justified series collection, because I hadn't watched it during its original run.   Tonight's episode from season 3 had WT101 and PVW15.  Nothing new to many of y'all on here I'm sure.

I just re-watched the entire series a couple of months ago. A great show, but It's left me constantly hankering for Elmer T. Lee, so far to no avail.

• I like it 3

GF and I are watching S3 of Marvelous Mrs Maisel. Four Roses appears to be the house bourbon for one character’s club.

• I like it 1

On 12/21/2019 at 6:17 PM, evasive said:

GF and I are watching S3 of Marvelous Mrs Maisel. Four Roses appears to be the house bourbon for one character’s club.

Just finishing up S3 and noticed the Four Roses 'Single Barrel' crates and thought to myself "That didn't exist at that point??"  Not sure why Four Roses introduced Single Barrel, but pretty sure it wasn't 1960 (I didn't think they were even selling Four Roses in the states during that period).  Regardless of historic accuracy, always fun to see good bourbon on good shows!

• 4 weeks later...

Watching s2e5 of Ozark on Netflix and Pappy 20 makes an appearance. Buddy brings it up to drink with Wendy after the FBI clears out of the house. 

• I like it 1

On 12/19/2019 at 9:55 PM, KyleCBreese said:

They were two things he said that were completely wrong. Ancient Age is 3 years and Rye only has to be 51% Rye. 

Ancient Ancient Age (note the extra "Ancient") used to be a 10 year product.

4 hours ago, Tony Santana said:

Ancient Ancient Age (note the extra "Ancient") used to be a 10 year product.

yes, and the transition from 10 year to 10 star (6yo) was at this time.  Though the episode aired in 2014, it was probably producted 2013 or even late 2012.  So it might might have been 10 yo when episode recorded

• 2 weeks later...

"The Shadow" (1994) w/Alec Baldwin as Lamont. Movie is set in the (late) 1930s (based on the taxi - see below). About 30 minutes in, the EVIL Shiwan Khan (last son of Genghis and played masterfully by John Lone who cut his chops at age 7 in the Peking Opera) has emerged from his silver coffin and asks Lamont for "bourbon".  Unfortunately for us, Lamont pours from a decanter into regular Old Fashioned glasses so no label is visible.  Both chug their 1.4 or so OZ in one swallow and lick their lips.  Lamont uses a "Radio Cab" driven by Moses (Peter Boyle) Shrevnitz, the cab being a 1936 Cord 810 Westchester.  This cast is chuck full of character actors and second bananas - particularly but not exclusively Asian actors - that we all know and love, many of whom have more than 150 credits under their IMDB names.  For them alone, the movie is worth watching at least once.

• I like it 2

What the hell is this?  Friday's USA Today Sports page has an article breaking down the position matchups in Super Bowl by someone named Henry McKenna?

20200201_172702.jpg

• I like it 1

On 1/29/2020 at 9:02 PM, HoustonNit said:

Old Weller Antique Gold Vein.

“Fabulous Baker Boys”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QyeYgwO4ADg

Good movie, and even better music. Dave Grusin wrote or arranged much of the much of the music from that film. He’s composed some great music for movies and television over the years. He’s probably the best since Henry Mancini. He’s also done some great jazz album’s over the years. He’s one of my favs.

I can’t really comment on the gold veined OWA. I have one that was a gift from a fellow SB member a number of years ago. Partially because of that fact, I just can’t bring myself to open it. Maybe my retirement bottle??? 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

Good movie, and even better music. Dave Grusin wrote or arranged much of the much of the music from that film. He’s composed some great music for movies and television over the years. He’s probably the best since Henry Mancini. He’s also done some great jazz album’s over the years. He’s one of my favs.

I can’t really comment on the gold veined OWA. I have one that was a gift from a fellow SB member a number of years ago. Partially because of that fact, I just can’t bring myself to open it. Maybe my retirement bottle??? 

Biba! Joe

I really need to rewatch this as I haven’t seen it in years.

Ha I don’t blame you for not wanting to open that gold veined OWA. I think retirement day will be a fitting occasion.
  • I like it 1

Casually have the XFL game between the Dallas and St. Louis teams on in the background on ESPN.  They interview the Dallas offensive coordinator Hal Mumme on the sideline and after the interview is over the ESPN analysts mentioned that coach Mumme enjoys his bourbon. They said he develops new plays while enjoying his Maker's  Mark.

Awesome. 

14 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Mumme enjoys his bourbon. 

He was the head coach at the University of Kentucky for a few years, so comes by that naturally. 

• I like it 1

Season 1, Episode 4 of Mindhunter.  K Mills Point.  Had to do some sleuthing to find this one.  Someone in the art department is working hard.

s-l400.jpg.175d2607ee6b574361d8a2225abf2042.jpg

-Mike

On 2/1/2020 at 6:45 PM, Kepler said:

What the hell is this?  Friday's USA Today Sports page has an article breaking down the position matchups in Super Bowl by someone named Henry McKenna?

20200201_172702.jpg

I use FTW for a lot of my sports news and he is a busy fellow. It always makes me happy when his name is on the byline.

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...

Anyone know what kind of brown water M.J. is sipping during "The Last Dance" interviews??

Would be curious to know what the ?of choice is from the ?.

13 hours ago, Kepler said:

Anyone know what kind of brown water M.J. is sipping during "The Last Dance" interviews??

Would be curious to know what the ?of choice is from the ?.

Without having seen it, and knowing nothing about his preferences, I'd guess a high end cognac.

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Without having seen it, and knowing nothing about his preferences, I'd guess a high end cognac.

I caught the tail end of some talking heads mentioning it, and they said MJ was a tequila enthusiast.