Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

11 minutes ago, BDanner said:

I caught the tail end of some talking heads mentioning it, and they said MJ was a tequila enthusiast.

Nice! Thanks for that info.

• I like it 1

On the season finale of Homeland, Saul went for a pour in a couple of scenes. I could make out a Blanton's and a Lagavulin on the bar, and it looked like he poured a Talisker. 

Reprisal on hulu seson 1 episode 8? noticed buffalo trace used for sterilizing a stab wound. My kind of show! 

Watched an oldie on cable: Red Dawn.   

Patrick Swayze's character is given a 'flask-style' bottle (pint?) of Jim Beam White Label by Ben Johnson's benevolent old fogey character; "to help keep the youngsters warm" up in woods as they evade the Cubans and Russians, and survive the early stages of WWIII.

• 3 weeks later...

Watching Takashi Miike's 2004 movie 'Agitator', some poor delivery driver just got initiated into the gang with some Wild Turkey... at least they used a good bourbon I suppose. 

20200601_005114.jpg

• I like it 1

I watched John Wayne in The Green Berets over the Memorial Day weekend. There are a couple of scenes in the film featuring Jim Beam. 

FWIW, the first time I saw this movie was in a theater when it was first released. It just so happens my mother and I were in Savannah Georgia/Hunter Army Airfield visiting my brother before he headed out for his second tour of duty in Vietnam. In the scene when the relief team flew In by helicopters to the base camp to try and help save the day, the cheers from all the helicopter pilots In the base theater nearly blew the doors off the place. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

• 2 weeks later...

Watching episode nine of Space Force on Netflix and John Malkovich’a character is getting wasted in his office with a bottle of Old Forester.

Axe and Wags were drinking Michters 25 a few weeks ago... They do love Michters in Billions 

Star Trek: Picard, S1 Ep5 "Stardust City Rag" - Seven of Nine has a "bourbon, straight up" when Picard offers her "tea, glass of wine?" in his holo-den on the La Sirena.  Poured in a rocks glass from a large square decanter and downed in a closeup - at least she didn't shoot it back.  She asks for another once Picard gets her attention with his "mission".

I was binge watching Picard on CBS All Access and was feeling pretty "meh..." about it until 7o9 showed up at the end of Ep4.  Once again Jeri Ryan saves a dull, plodding, mediocre Star Trek series - Voyager improved exponentially once she was added to the cast.  Where's a Homer Simpson drool gif when ya need one...  JR/7o9 still has it, Picard best not toss her aside next season.

Also can't forget the classic Dickel bottles used for Saurian brandy on The Original Series and DS9.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saw what just had to be a bottle of J. W. Dant in the season-opening episode of 'Yellowstone'.   John Dutton's daughter Beth buys it earlier, and eventually presents the bottle, a pour (down her breasts), along with herself to the top hand and right-hand-man on the old ranch house porch in the closing scenes.

She says something like "Oops, spilled it.   I'll pour you you a new one."   He passes on a new pour saying; something like "I'll take that one."   Cool stuff!

Edited by Richnimrod
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

Saw what just had to be a bottle of J. W. Dant in the season-opening episode of 'Yellowstone'.   John Dutton's daughter Beth buys it earlier, and eventually presents the bottle, a pour (down her breasts), along with herself to the top hand and right-hand-man on the old ranch house porch in the closing scenes.

She says something like "Oops, spilled it.   I'll pour you you a new one."   He passes on a new pour saying; something like "I'll take that one."   Cool stuff!

Has become a new  binge obsession for us.  Just finished season 2 last night.  Looking forward to season 3.  Betheny sure is one crazy woman.

4 hours ago, Richdel said:

Has become a new  binge obsession for us.  Just finished season 2 last night.  Looking forward to season 3.  Betheny sure is one crazy woman.

You have no idea!   Watch season 3!

The other night we watched Kirk Douglas in Lonely Are The Brave yet again. I’ve said it before, I think it’s his  best performance. Anyway, just before the bar fight scene, he buys a bottle of booze and a beer. I honestly can’t tell for sure, but it looks like the booze may be a bottle of Old Charter.  Anyone???

Bib! Joe

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

The other night we watched Kirk Douglas in Lonely Are The Brave yet again. I’ve said it before, I think it’s his  best performance. Anyway, just before the bar fight scene, he buys a bottle of booze and a beer. I honestly can’t tell for sure, but it looks like the booze may be a bottle of Old Charter.  Anyone???

Bib! Joe

First: apologies for the thread drift...

My favorite Kirk Douglas movie?  Seven Days in May       He and Burt Lancaster were top of their games, and the support cast were all very sharp.

I’ll keep tumbling off topic...?. Never a Douglas fan, but The Final Countdown in which he starred, is one of the most entertaining and Damn coolest movies I’ve ever seen.  

• I like it 3

• 1 month later...

New episodes "Lucifer" released on netflix.   One episode from 1946 shows old text only label "Wild Turkey"

• 2 weeks later...

Saw an episode of "Have Gun Will Travel" and at the beginning Paladin was doing a blind taste test of 4 whiskeys.  First one he identified a Kentucky bourbon. The second one he said was the regular stuff available at the hotel bar - and he told the owner he should be ashamed.  I think the third was another Kentucky bourbon, and the fourth one he could tell was a "sour mash" - not Kentucky, probably Tennessee, "maybe Lynchburg".  He made his recommendation to the hotel owner and the guy later identified in the credits as "whiskey drummer" said he'd send a case up to his room.

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

stephen colbert still drinking weller 12 on his show.  that's been his regular pour for several years now

Is he in one of the secondary groups ha?

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, dcbt said:

Is he in one of the secondary groups ha?

Nah, he just refills the W12 bottle with Bernheim Wheat (not that it's a bad thing, mind you!).   ?

• I like it 1

• 5 weeks later...

Ok it’s a book, Crazy Heart but it was technically made into a movie about 10 years ago with Jeff Bridges. 

In the book the protagonist is nearly broke on the road doing a music gig that night at bowling alley on the Colorado/New Mexico border.  He wants to get a bottle of his favorite JD but doesn’t have enough money so is instead eyeing the bottle of Heaven Hill bourbon.  

The book takes places in the mid 80s so not the same JD of today.  That being said I think very few SBers would take JD over HH

When that was made into a movie, they had to come up with a fictional brand, McCallister or something.  None of the major brands wanted that sort of publicity.

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

When that was made into a movie, they had to come up with a fictional brand, McCallister or something.  None of the major brands wanted that sort of publicity.

Yup I remember that.  Don’t recall the name but it was certainly nothing that resembled Jack.

• 3 weeks later...

JDBlack but with a non-US label.  Midsomer Murders Season 12 (2009) Episode 2 - The Black Book (part 2).  Replay tonight (Wed 2 Dec) on PBS. Rich American art collector George Arlington with a bad Texas accent (played by Irish actor Gavan O’Herlihy) is lamenting the revelation that his 19th Century English landscape collection is rife with forgeries.  It sits next to him at a table in a pub.

Edited by Harry in WashDC