Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

American Horror Story: Hotel 2011

Bar scenes show Blanton's, Jack Daniels, Buffalo Trace and what looks like Gentleman Jack.

20201203_122340.jpg

• 1 month later...

Rewatching The League. I got this closeup pic of the whiskey board at their hangout bar. This is season 3, so it should be 2011-2012. That's a bar I'd like to belly up to. 

20210125_220550.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ken Burns’ “JAZZ” (PBS 2001), Episode 6 - Swing: The Velocity of Celebration.  Still pics of Kansas City circa 1937-1939.  Features KC’s influence on small band music.  Street shot shows a neon sign, blinking, “Bond & Lillard Whiskey”.

edit - replay of course.  I sure didn’t REMEMBER this from the first time I watched this.

Coleman Hawkins and his sax are a big part of this episode.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 4

Watched The Little Things on HBO Max.  While the attention to detail for late 80s/early 90s decor and props was mostly admirable (film was set in 1990), they made a glaring goof with the liquor selection at the bar the villain was instructed to go to for a meeting with the police.....

AFA5C92D-8E40-4FE4-B874-0C8B57D2DC43.jpeg

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, parksmart said:

Watched The Little Things on HBO Max.  While the attention to detail for late 80s/early 90s decor and props was mostly admirable (film was set in 1990), they made a glaring goof with the liquor selection at the bar the villain was instructed to go to for a meeting with the police.....

I'm guessing the Legent...

• I like it 1

Knob Creek introduced 1992.

Buffalo Trace Bourbon introduced 1999.

I checked Wikipedia to make sure I had the correct dates.

I'm pretty sure that JD bottle to the left is an anachronism too.  It looks modern.

I don't know enough about the Scotch or Japanese to comment.

13 hours ago, parksmart said:

I think that the Glenfiddich is the only thing up there that is period appropriate (release or bottle design).

Episode #2 of Ken Burns' documentary "Baseball" ... the section about Christy Mathewson circa 1904-1905.... there are at least three advertisement billboards in the background mentioning rye whiskey, including a very interesting one called "O.F.C. Rye".

20210228_195403.jpg

20210228_195431.jpg

• I like it 2

Just finished The Queen’s Gambit on Netflix.  Highly recommended.  It takes place in Lexington in the 1960s and has a ton of drinking, but damnit no bourbon!  What a waste, can you imagine the bourbon possibilities of a show in the heart of Kentucky in the early to late 60s.  We see a bunch Pabst Blue Ribbon, a bunch of Gin Gibson’s, a little vodka in Moscow and pastis in Paris but no bourbon.  The janitor has a few pulls of mystery whiskey from a flask but that’s as close as we get.  We see people carrying bags full of liquor bottles from Lex Liquors in strollers but never get to see if they’ve got any Very Old Fitzgerald in there.

Darn wasted opportunity.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Just finished The Queen’s Gambit on Netflix.  Highly recommended.  It takes place in Lexington in the 1960s and has a ton of drinking, but damnit no bourbon!  What a waste, can you imagine the bourbon possibilities of a show in the heart of Kentucky in the early to late 60s.  We see a bunch Pabst Blue Ribbon, a bunch of Gin Gibson’s, a little vodka in Moscow and pastis in Paris but no bourbon.  The janitor has a few pulls of mystery whiskey from a flask but that’s as close as we get.  We see people carrying bags full of liquor bottles from Lex Liquors in strollers but never get to see if they’ve got any Very Old Fitzgerald in there.

Darn wasted opportunity.

Heard good things about that show. Cannot believe it was set in Lexington in the '60's and that bourbon was not a major character.

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, flahute said:

Heard good things about that show. Cannot believe it was set in Lexington in the '60's and that bourbon was not a major character.

Yeah and alcohol consumption was a major part of the plot so even more surprising.

This is based off a book from the same writer of The Hustler and the famous Paul Newman movie of the same name.  

Im sure it’s been posted here a bunch but it never gets old, “bourbon, JTS Brown, no glass, no ice.”  

Rarebird did a nice write up.

https://rarebird101.com/2020/01/21/fast-eddie-no-ice-no-glass-2019/amp/

On 3/3/2021 at 11:59 PM, flahute said:

It could have been the beginning of the glut, when the public's tastes gravitated toward other things, or simply did not appeal to the story's characters.  It could also be an anachronism or oversight.

My wife has been watching Jessica Jones on Netflix, while I mostly sit on. My couch and read my book on the early parts of the Pacific Theater in WWII.  It’s one of those Marvel comics type shows where it’s supposed to be kind of gritty with an anti hero type superhero.  Jessica is a real lush that likes her bourbon.  I’ve seen bottles of WT101, OGD, MM, Ezra Brooks and who knows what else.  At one point she goes to a liquor store and asks for cheap bourbon and I’m pretty sure it’s EW black label.  

4 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

My wife has been watching Jessica Jones on Netflix, while I mostly sit on. My couch and read my book on the early parts of the Pacific Theater in WWII.  It’s one of those Marvel comics type shows where it’s supposed to be kind of gritty with an anti hero type superhero.  Jessica is a real lush that likes her bourbon.  I’ve seen bottles of WT101, OGD, MM, Ezra Brooks and who knows what else.  At one point she goes to a liquor store and asks for cheap bourbon and I’m pretty sure it’s EW black label.  

I was a WWII history buff growing up so I'd be playing your role. Recently came across some great youtube videos explaining in great detail how the battles of Midway and Coral Sea went down. You might like them.

9 hours ago, flahute said:

I was a WWII history buff growing up so I'd be playing your role. Recently came across some great youtube videos explaining in great detail how the battles of Midway and Coral Sea went down. You might like them.

Have you done "Battle 360". I believe it followed USS Enterprise throughout the Pacific War. Been awhile since I saw it; may have to revisit.  Lot of repetition but worth a watch.

6 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Have you done "Battle 360". I believe it followed USS Enterprise throughout the Pacific War. Been awhile since I saw it; may have to revisit.  Lot of repetition but worth a watch.

I will look that up!

12 hours ago, flahute said:

Thanks may look into.  The book is, Pacific Crucible by Ian W. Toll, if interested.  Some great details and reads well.  The first part that gives a lot of backstory to Japanese empire and how we got to that point is a bit dry but really great information.  Once you get pass that it’s very interesting.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, flahute said:

I will look that up!

This seems relevant.  In our cases I think we can add in bourbon as well.

25835932-D616-4191-B741-AEFE22DF32E5.jpeg

1 minute ago, HoustonNit said:

This seems relevant.  In our cases I think we can add in bourbon as well.

25835932-D616-4191-B741-AEFE22DF32E5.jpeg

Ha! Well, since I started on WWII when I was 10 years old it looks like I need to catch up with you all on the smoked meats.

At least I have the bourbon part down!

• I like it 2

I’m a WWII history buff too. My uncle was in the European campaign, but never wanted to talk about his experiences. My father was in the Pacific, but was transferred back stateside just before Pearl Harbor. Long and interesting story there. 

Biba! Joe