Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

Spider Man 3--with some "heated" conversation, a bottle of Makers Mark gets thrown into the fire place!! Big burst of flames!! Oh....the drama!

Dawn

On a related note, see: The Top 10 Movies To Drink Bourbon To...

http://bluekitchen.net/top10bourbonmovies.html

I have to add two of my own favorites. One is the first Flight Of The Phoenix. This is the ultimate bourbon movie. You must watch it at night. Jimmy Stewart, Ernest Borgnine, and many others in this great movie about surviving in the desert and trying to rebuild their crashed plane. One of the main characters, a flight engineer, is dying for drink, but of course, there is none.

The other movie is The Sting. Robert Redford's character as well as Paul Newman's both drink. And they keep changing their booze. When Paul Newman is playing cards with Doyle, he's drinking 'cut' gin. Then later at the horse betting parlor it looks like he's drinking bourbon. But Redford is said to drink Scotch. Nonetheless, a great bourbon movie.

Spider Man 3--with some "heated" conversation, a bottle of Makers Mark gets thrown into the fire place!! Big burst of flames!! Oh....the drama!

Dawn

I believe I spotted a bottle of Blanton's on the back bar of the jazz club.

HBO's Deadwood was already mentioned, but the author of the post failed to mention Basil Hayden's, which was mentioned by name several times in several episodes. I am convinced that this was nothing more than shameless product placement, since as near as I can tell, Basil Hayden's was not in production when the show takes place. Can anyone help me out here?

Also thought I would mention Bad Santa. Billy Bob's character is never far from a bottle of OGD in this movie.

I also seem to remember Ira Hayes drinking bourbon in Flags of Our Fathers, but I would have to go back and double check.

I believe I spotted a bottle of Blanton's on the back bar of the jazz club.

Oh yeah.....I saw that too!

Basil Hayden's was not in production during the years when Deadwood was set, and would not be until about 100 years later. However, R. B. Hayden may, at that time, have been in production with Old Grand-Dad, which was named in tribute to his grandfather, Basil, although Basil's name was not used nor generally known.

My theory is that they wanted to use Old Crow, which would have been one of the few bourbons in that era known by a brand name, but when they talked to Beam about it, Beam had no interest in promoting Crow and suggested Basil Hayden instead.

I wonder what John Wayne used to drink in the movies. I'll bet it was some good Kentucky bourbon. I can't imagine the Duke saying, "Bartender, give me a fuzzy navel---and leave the blender!"

I think, either from reading a biography or watching many of the biographies of John Wayne, his real life spirit of choice was brandy, or so went the claim. A bit of a disappointment. I figured him to be a rye man, actually. In any case I can't see Marion Michael Morrison (the ""Duke") in real life walking into a bar and ordering a froo froo cocktail.

I saw the Maker's and was pretty sure that was a Blanton's too. There are a lot of bottles in that movie. I want to see it again before I try a positive ID on any of them.

Of couse, Harry was drinking what looked like a martini. No news on whether it was gin or vodka.

Ed

Just watched a movie called "Inside Man" - Denzel Washington, Clive Owen, Jodie Foster. Towards the end the bank owner offers them a drink off a cart in his office, and pours from a decanter. also sitting on the cart is a bottle of Blanton's. You can see that horse a mile away :)

Not a bad movie, either.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Spotting bottles In movies and on TV has become sort of an armchair sport.

The Discovery Chanel used to have a show called Wild West Tech hosted by Keith Carradine, who played Bill Hickok on HBO's Deadwood. IIRC The show debuted shortly after the first season of Deadwood. In at least one installment they used a bottle of Old Weller Antique.

Not long ago I wached The Petrified Forest (1936) staring Bette Davis and Leslie Howard. Bogart plays a brooding gangster caught, along with several of his underlings, between a rock and a hard place, holed up in a restaurant/bar/gas station during a dust storm. Holding pretty much the rest of the cast hostage, he lets them drink, talk and even eat. It is here that most of the movie takes place. Leslie Howard's character drinks rye. The bottle, shaped somewhat like a large flask is made of dark glass and has a paper label. Despite my best efforts at pausing the DVD (rented from Blockbuster On-line) at various times I could not make out the label. If someone who is familiar with bottle trade dress from this era happens to watch this movie keep yer eye out. Heck, it may not even be a real whiskey bottle at all.

• 2 weeks later...

The movie, "In the Heat of the Night," the sheriff is drinking some bourbon. Couldn't make out the bottle but it was corked.

• 3 months later...

I just saw "Death Proof". Quentin Tarrintino's flick of the "Grindhouse" double feature.

One scene had a group of people in a bar and they called for six shots of Wild Turkey. The bartender poured the shots and slammed the bottle on the bar and they got a full close up of the label.

Product placement?

Then later, after Stuntman Mike gets shot he pulls a bottle of Four Roses out of the glove box of his car and swings some down and pours some on his gun shot wound.

Not bourbon, but there was a funny scene where the bartender gives the girls a free shot, the color is green and they have trouble gulping it down.

One of the girls asks what was that?

The bartender hold up a bottle containing the green spirit and says, "Chartreuse! The liquor so good they named a color after it!"

Chinatown hasn't been mentioned, but in the very beginning of the movie Jack Nicohlson pulls out a bottle of (Old Crow) bourbon and gives a few snorts to the guy who's wife is cheating on him.

Chinatown hasn't been mentioned, but in the very beginning of the movie Jack Nicohlson pulls out a bottle of (Old Crow) bourbon and gives a few snorts to the guy who's wife is cheating on him.

He drinks Jim Beam White in Easy Rider

Here's an obscure one; in the movie This Stuff'll Kill Ya (anyone seen it?) Preacher Roscoe Boone flies into a rage while in a local liquor store when he finds that they are stocking legal whiskey (which is cutting into this moonshine business) and flies into a rage smashing a tax stripped 1.75 litre bottle of Old Charter!

I am not 100% but in the beginning of the movie Shawshank Redemption when Andy is waiting outside of the place where his wife is cheating on him he takes a swig of a pint of Old Fitzgerald. Can anyone confirm this?

In the movie "Out of Sight" G. Clooney and J Lo meet up in a bar and she orders a bourbon with a water back. I knew there was a reason I liked her.

The house they break into is in Oakland County, here in Michigan and also a good friend of mines "Step Dad's House". I've never been there but he's a straight laced CPA and not a very goog liar.

I beleive in the Ocean's (11 and 13) movies George Clooney's character orders and drinks Bourbon WT101 I beleive. Also TV movies "Stone Cold" Tom Selleck's character is seen drinking Bourbon.

In the movie "Out of Sight" G. Clooney and J Lo meet up in a bar and she orders a bourbon with a water back. I knew there was a reason I liked her.

The house they break into is in Oakland County, here in Michigan and also a good friend of mines "Step Dad's House". I've never been there but he's a straight laced CPA and not a very goog liar.

Of all the Elmore Leonard books that have been made into movies, "Out Of Sight" is the best adaptation.

In all his books the cool people drink bourbon or pack a Sig Sauer, in "Out Of Sight" Karen Sisco(J-Lo) does both.

I was watching Slingblade last night for the umpteenth time and I believe I spotted a bottle of Wild Turkey on the end table when Doyle loses it and throws everyone out of the house.

I was just scanning this thread and no one mentioned this one: Kevin Costner's character in "Bull Durham" gets drunk on Jim Beam. That one, I know for a fact, was a paid product placement.

Over this past weekend, they aired an episode of Space Ghost featuring Willie Nelson and Old Kentuky Shark, and I just found a video of it online:

http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=20655

Seemed like it might be somewhat relevant to this thread.

Hhmmm,.... Willie Nelson on Space Ghost,.... yeah they go together.

You know Joel Hodgson from Mystery Science Theater 3000 did some work on Space Ghost,... Joel did have 'dem sleepy eyes.