Rittenhouse Rye

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Leif,

Rittenhouse 80 and 100 BIB are both in stock along with Van Winkle Rye, Old Overholt, Beam Rye, WT Rye, Saz Jr. and both Michter's Rye at Old Town. They also have the BTEC Double Wood and the new 2006 Birthday Bourbon.

Leif,

Rittenhouse 80 and 100 BIB are both in stock along with Van Winkle Rye, Old Overholt, Beam Rye, WT Rye, Saz Jr. and both Michter's Rye at Old Town. They also have the BTEC Double Wood and the new 2006 Birthday Bourbon.

Thanks!

I will visit Old Town

Leif

Anyone know where a Californian might come across a bottle of Van Winkle Rye?

For the WA state folks, the store over in West Seattle has some of the 100 proof Rittenhouse in stock at $15.30. The website had 24 bottles listed at this store. I bought 6! There were still 6 on the shelf and ? maybe more in the back.

This might have been addressed elsewhere, but does anyone know if Rittenhouse BIB is chill-filtered? I ask because I'm having a bit over ice and it has clouded considerably.

Rittenhouse had its original market in Pennsylvania

Gary

Try to find some in Pennsylvania now. :hot: :hot: :hot:

Joe

This might have been addressed elsewhere, but does anyone know if Rittenhouse BIB is chill-filtered? I ask because I'm having a bit over ice and it has clouded considerably.

I haven't seen any comments on this either, Jeff, but my uneducated guess is no. The color is SO dark for a 6yo whiskey and I put part of a bottle in the freezer and got lots of cloudiness and a little sediment.

Jeff

I've also noticed a tendency for Rittenhouse BIB-based Manhattans to cloud up. I consider that to be a Good Thing.

I had to buy my Rittenhouse in NY on a trip to Buffalo. For some reason the State of PA has decided not to offer it.

For some reason the State of PA has decided not to offer it.

Could it be their affinity to only buy and stock the very finest world class whiskies such as Jim Beam White. Whoever is picking the whiskies to stock in PA is an idiot. :smiley_acbt: :hot:

Joe :usflag:

I have to revise what I said about PA. Rittenhouse is listed as a SLO (Special Liquor Order) for only $11.89!

Any PA liquor store should be able to order with the info below.

062670 SLO RITTENHOUSE RYE 100 $11.89 750 ML

I have to revise what I said about PA. Rittenhouse is listed as a SLO (Special Liquor Order) for only $11.89!

Did you ever order a SLO? I did. First you must buy a whole case and put the money up front. Then you wait between one and three to four months to get it, after firing off several phone calls to those inept individuals who can never answer your questions anyway. I'm no fan of the PALCB. :smiley_acbt: :hot:

Joe :usflag:

As a matter of fact I have bought a number of things SLO. Only once was I required to buy a case and I didn't want it that badly. As for time, I don't think I've waited more then 3 weeks for anything. Overall, I've had good experience with SLO.

• 2 weeks later...

All,

I noticed on the shelf yesterday at the Cork and Bottle in Covington that they have the 80 proof and the BIB for $9.99 and $15.99 respectively.

I received today some promotional material about the new 21 year old Rittenhouse, including the attached letter. I found the letter unusually interesting for this sort of thing, which is why I'm sharing it.

Two interesting facts about the product itself. First, it is the first product Heaven Hill has sold that is not chill filtered. Second, they are referring to it as a "one time bottling," whereas originally we were told that they had whiskey in the pipeline that would permit annual releases and it would not be a one-off.

Rittenhouse 21.PDF

*drool*

This may be the very first time that I break the $100 rule, to ass-u-me that I actually find any on the shelf. :):( :bigeyes::hot::grin::slappin::D

Let's see, 10 bottles of Rittenhouse BIB or 1 bottle of the 21 year old. I'm going to take the 10 bottles.

I'm going to take the 10 bottles.

:slappin:

Oh, I know how you feel! More than once I've been tempted by some ultrapremium single malts, only to get something that's (a) very tasty in its own right, and (B) far more affordable.

(If my brother-in-law shows up here, my Ardbeg '77 is going to get opened!)

Assuming a "standard-issue" Sazerac 18 gets released, I'd probably go with it, if I don't decide to take the hit on my budget and get both the Saz and the Rittenhouse Ultra.

If it fits in the budget I'd like to do a heads up of the Vintage 23 yo Rye, Classic Cask 22 yo Rye and the Rittenhouse. Gotta cruise to pay for that is putting a crimp in the budget.

If it fits in the budget I'd like to do a heads up of the Vintage 23 yo Rye, Classic Cask 22 yo Rye and the Rittenhouse. Gotta cruise to pay for that is putting a crimp in the budget.

My October cruise is already paid for (and a steal it was -- $329 to sail singly in a outside-double cabin overlooking the aft of the ship:shocked: for 5 nights), so if I can come up with the new Rittenhouse from Tennessee, I can cover that spread for you.

With Tim recently I tasted Rittenhouse rye BIB (6 years old), Classic Cask 15 and 21 years old and Vintage rye 23 years old.

They were all quite different. The Vintage 23 rye showed remarkable fruit and suppleness for an oldster - great selecting by the Kulsveens and worth the money. The Classic Casks were dry, austere, elegant - a different ball of wax completely. [it just occurs to me the term ball of wax might have referred originally to spirits]. The Rittenhouse was very nice, this was the recently issued "Early Times" version (i.e., distilled at Early Times with the HH recipe and under its supervision after the fire and before Bernheim was acquired). It seemed softer and less intense than the DSP 31 version although presenting evident similarities. It was grainy and reminded me somewhat of Old Heaven Hill BIB bourbon as distilled at DSP 31, I know this is getting complicated...

Gary

That is a great price. However, there are two of us and it's for 12 days so you can imagine the crimp it made.

My October cruise is already paid for (and a steal it was -- $329 to sail singly in a outside-double cabin overlooking the aft of the ship:shocked: for 5 nights), so if I can come up with the new Rittenhouse from Tennessee, I can cover that spread for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I have it on good authority that Heaven Hill's distributor in New York has been selling the Rittenhouse 21 very aggressively, so a lot of it is going there. New York State, not necessarily NYC.

I have it on good authority that Heaven Hill's distributor in New York has been selling the Rittenhouse 21 very aggressively, so a lot of it is going there. New York State, not necessarily NYC.

A UPDATE on the Rittenhouse 21 year :grin: :grin:

The "same amount" shipments going out the door will be sent to:

California, New York, Illinois and Indiana :grin: :grin: :grin:

The next drift will be to Texas and Florida :grin: :grin: :grin:

I have it on good authority :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bettye Jo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.