BOTM, 8/06: A.H. Hirsch 16yo

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tim,

I'll guaran-damn-tee you that the gold wax version, at least the single bottle I have tasted, has absolutely no metallic taste.

The folks who don't detect that flavor in the gold foil are to be envied.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave -

I have just sampled some of my first Hirsch gold foil (didn't take long, huh?), and I must say, quite tasty. I can't pick up any metallic taste, but this is my first tasting. I am really hankering a gold wax bottle just for comparisons now though...

I picked a bottle of the 16yr up today (3rd gen., gold foil) and, despite the high price, I’m really glad that I did. One thing that I’m really surprised by is the fact that I am tasting 2 distinct flavors in this, orange and vanilla. I 'm seldom able to distinguish anything in what I am drinking. Who knows if it’s the bourbon or me though, I guess I’ll find out after I finish this. I know the flavors are mentioned on the tag but I’ve read plenty of notes about plenty of other bourbons and not tasted anything they mention. It’s definitely above average but definitely not my favorite. Glad to have it in my collection, I’ll try to make this one last just like I do with all my favorite and above average bottles. Thanks for making in BOTM, I probably wouldn't have been motivated to spend the $ if it wasn't and surely would have missed out on this delicious and ever rarifying pour! :)

I'm still on my first bottle of Hirsch gold foil, don't taste anything that could be construed as metallic. Just a great mix of wood and vanilla. Would love to try a gold wax version for comparison.

Kevin

Jeremy,

The following is a variation on what has become an almost tired theme here at SB.com.

Do not under any circumstances sip from or even open a bottle of the gold wax version, should it fall into your possession. It will ruin your appreciation for the gold foil version forever.

Since I am already ruined, you might just as well send it to me for safe disposal. :grin:

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I was expecting a different warning, something more along the lines of: Do not under any circumstances sip from a bottle of the gold foil version without first breaking the foil seal and removing the cork, as sucking it through the cork and gold foil will tend to result in a metallic (and corky) taste, and very likely a rupture of some sort.

Tonight I opened a Gold Wax Hirsch 16yo ......... after reading Chuck's latest on the "Michter" distillery and to compare to my relatively fresh memory of tasting the Blue Wax in Vegas. I get the maple, slight mint and flint I expect.....but a little more richness than I recall from the Blue Wax.

I have to ask the same Q Chuck asked....Why was this whiskey selected to be bottled as a premium bourbon when Michter's had a hard time selling anything it made?

Randy

Age (especially) and rarity.

I think it was partly good fortune. I surmise the whiskey, 1974 production, was bought as bulk whiskey to be a private brand.

Either intentionally or otherwise, it was well-aged when ready for sale by the original owner or an assignee or successor.

By then, the distillery was no longer producing. Due in part to Michael Jackson's laudatory chapter on Michter's in his 1987 World Guide To Whisky (not long before the blue wax was bottled), the whiskey acquired an additional cachet.

This is what I think happened, or something close to it.

Gary

I have to ask the same Q Chuck asked....Why was this whiskey selected to be bottled as a premium bourbon when Michter's had a hard time selling anything it made?

Randy

Michters only made premium whiskey but you almost had to visit the distillery to get any. It was not widely marketed. Michters did not have a hard time at all selling it's product to the people who visited. If they would have done a better job in marketing, I think they would still be distilling.

Joe :usflag:

Enjoying a pour of Hirsch 16 (gold foil) right now. This is my second bottle of it and it will be sad to see the last couple of fingers of it go, but I have more in the bunker. Most recent purchase was for $67 and there is plenty around at $80, which I will probably balk at, given what else is available for that price or a little higher (like Pappy 20 at $90). I really like this bourbon, but it is definitely not typical: seems uncommonly dry and elegant, even refined (in a good sense). Not at all like earthy Buffalo Trace, or palate-smacking Stagg, etc. Thankfully, I don't get any metallic taste, and didn't with the first bottle, so I hoping my luck holds for the others in the bunker and the gold wax ones will be held for last, because I don't discount what Dave says and I'm not going to experiment on myself.

Wish I could do tasting notes, but, despite that, this is one of my top 5 all time favorites and I could easily live with this as my sole desert island bourbon. Everyone should try this at least once. Too bad it can't be re-packaged into 50 mL minis and sold for $5 so anyone with a five spot could try it.

Nice to hear from you Ed.

I accept that you can't do "taste notes" but can you say why you like the whiskey, just in your own words?

Gary

Gary, it's hard to say. It's like saying I like an orchestral piece, without knowing the various instruments and their relative contributions to the whole piece. To me, Hirsch 16 hits all the right notes, but I just cannot name them! Presumably, it has vanilla , but it really doesn't smell like the whole bottle of vanillin crystals I have in lab (which, BTW, smells fabulous). The rye is there, but I just don't equate rye with spice. In fact, I am having Old Overholt as I type this and the nose is massively cherries: this is probably the strongest and clearest connection I have ever made. (Not to threadjack, but I think you are right on the money about Old Overholt: the current product is much better than that of several years ago (which was OK: my first rye). Thanks for that tip off!)

Thanks Ed, that does help. I always like to hear what people think of whiskey in their own words. Vanilla and fruit (albeit "modified" as you said) are certainly characteristics of many whiskeys. There are so many ways to look at whiskey and ultimately, as chemistry. Doug showed me an older distiller's text at Jim's at his party. I was dumbfounded at the complexity and sophistication of the chemical analyses shown of whiskey-making at every stage. There are many ways to look at it even in the conventional verbal ways.

Gary

I have had a few pours of this fine bourbon this month and like the full maturity of the flavor. I hate that I really like this because it will not be available in the future.

bj

Fortunately, we should have a good supply of this bourbon down in the south into the near future. Tonight I am enjoying a pour after dinner. The mint quality is very present, so I got the idea of having a bite of chocolate with a sip. WOW! It's wonderful. So much so that my non bourbon drinking wife LOVED the combination. I'm trying to work up some sort of desert that will pair very well with this bottle. I'm thinking something including fresh mint and dark chocolate to serve with an after dinner pour of Hirsch. Mmmmm....

Just bought a bottle of Hirsch 16 today on recommendation of manager at Sam's. Will be trying it soon. Glad to read the comments.

• 4 months later...

I'm a big fan of the Hirsch 16yo, and that's my problem. Because some day it'll all be gone. What do I do? I'm starting to look for something else.

So what is comparable? So far, I've heard that PVW 15/20, ER101, or ERSB are good contenders. What I'm seeking is that cognac-like taste with complexity and the feeling that the whiskey makes my whole mouth come alive with delight, yet doesn't corrode my esophagus afterwards.

Comments would be very welcome.

Is OCPR comparable? Understand, I don't just mean really good, but comparable to the Hirsch 16 in flavor and mouth experience?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!