Need gift idea for pipe smoking bourbon friend

pabourbongal
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm trying to decide on a great gift (no more than $50) to send a bourbon and pipe loving friend. Any ideas on a great gift for someone who likes Perique tobacco blends? Or can you recommend a great pipe lover's web site, in case I want to give him a gift certificate instead? This chap is also very fond of WT bourbons, if that helps any.

Thanks in advance.

PBG,

You'll find more knowledge of bourbon than pipe tobacco in these parts. That's okay because Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit sells at right around $50 (more or less, depending upon local pricing). It's the top of the line among WT products distributed in the USA, and it comes in a fancy bottle, one designed to evoke an image of the tail feathers of a turkey, I'm told.

If you do happen to get some good tips regarding tobacco, then perhaps you could go with Wild Turkey Rare Breed (younger and zestier, but still a nice step up from basic Wild Turkey 101) and have about $20 left for the tobacco purchase -- probably two or more 50 gram tins.

I haven't smoked a pipe since 1983, and I never was a big fan of Perique (which is usually added to blends in small amounts -- think Tabasco sauce). However, in a fit of nostalgia I recently searched the web for a blend I used to smoke. In so doing I found an interesting website, which has this to say about Perique. :grin:

As you can see here, tastes in pipe tobacco are highly subjective, IMO even more so than with bourbon. If at all possible, I suggest you get the name of a blend that the giftee likes and then consult a tobaccanist (preferably not a chain, such as Tinder Box -- the counter person there probably worked at The Gap last month).

Amazingly, a Google search for "pipe tobacco" yields over a million hits, and eight of the first 10 are retailers. Good luck picking one! :grin:

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Good suggestions and web site recommendations. I hope to have the "perfect" gift for my friend soon.

Many thanks,

Have you considered pipe "accessories"? I smoke cigars often, and smoke a pipe occasionally..it seems in the winter pipe smoking is just more appropriate! To the point...On occasion you can find some really neat "nostalgic" pipe stands and such at antique shops and flea market type stores. You usually find some "one of a kind" old pipe novelties! You might consider a nice travel leather tobacco pouch also...all of these should be well under a 50 spot! Good Luck, H'wood

I'm going to be doing some travelling in the next few months -- to cities a bit more "cosmopolitan" than my own :lol: and will look for something unique.

Again, thanks to all for the ideas.

• 2 months later...

pretty darn late, but I'd go to www.pipes.org

It's a great pipe forum. Also if you're looking for a pipe, to keep it around $50, I'd look at estate pipes (used pipes) and for a bourbon lover, I'd look mostly at Virginia Tobacco. My recommendation is Rattray Marlin Flake. It pairs excellently with bourbon of all sorts. Good luck, I hope the info's not too late.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.