Substituting Bourbon for Brandy in Desserts?

pabourbongal
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Is this an okay substitution and if so, what brand is best as a sub? I am making a tiramisu recipe that calls for brandy.

Thanks in advance,

I would consider any whiskey that is mild and sweetish.

Elmer T. Lee would be good. Or Evan Williams black label, or George Dickel.

Bourbon has been used in bread puddings and many American desserts.

Here is a simple recipe for a dessert I got from a Julia Child book many years ago: vanilla ice cream dusted with instant coffee (yes) with rum poured over. Bourbon easily substitutes for the rum, or of course brandy. These drinks are usually interchangeable for this purpose.

...I picked up some Elmer T. Lee today and plan to use it in my Tiramusu recipe tomorrow. In the mean time, I'll have a pour and dream of rich Italian desserts while I sip!

...I picked up some Elmer T. Lee today and plan to use it in my Tiramusu recipe tomorrow. In the mean time, I'll have a pour and dream of rich Italian desserts while I sip!

Are we invited?

Tim

To substitute bourbon for brandy, especially in a dessert recipe, I'd say you want to maximize sweetness and minimize tannin, so a youngish wheater like Old Fitzgerald BIB or even Maker's.

Chuck, you stole the words right out of my mouth! :slappin:

Aside from Old Fitz BIB or Maker's, Weller 12 or ETL would be worth considering as well...

It will give me an excuse to buy one of these other brands that you guys have suggested are a slightly better sub for brandy. Besides, now that my hubby has sampled some of the ETL, I might have a hard time wrenching it from his hands.

Tiramisu and a good pour of bourbon will be served in PA tonight at 7 sharp. Ya'all come!

I was once told by a person with a lot of experience in the field that you can substitute bourbon for vanilla extract in virtually any recipe with good results. That's kind of a "trick" for creating recipes using bourbon. Just look for a recipe that normally calls for vanilla.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.