Cubans

DrinkyBanjo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

All

I'll be traveling to Ireland in a few weeks and was wondering what Cubans I should pick up. Any specific brands that I MUST try?

Cohiba, if you can find the real ones. I saw a thread on here not too long ago about how to tell the difference.

I tend to smoke smaller, medium to full bodied cigars. These 10 or so are some of the best I've ever had.

Coronas Gorda: Punch Punch and H. Upmann Magnum 46 (both better than Cohiba Siglo IV IMO and significantly less expensive)

Robustos: I love Ramon Allones Specially Selected, Partagas Serie D #4, and H. Upmann Connoisseur #1. Cohiba Robusto is muy bien, maybe the best of this size, but close to twice the price of these three.

Coronas and Petit Coronas: Bolivar Corona and PC, Punch Royal Selection 12. (better than the much more popular Montecristo #4)

Minutos (4x40): Trinidad Reyes and Partagas Shorts

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Any information helps. I had a box of 'real' Dominican Cohibas. The first one I had I didn't care for, the second one was very nice though. I'm a newbie when it comes to puros so maybe my palette is maturing a bit.

The Cuban Romeo & Juliettas are just as good as the Cohibas IMO :usflag: and a lot cheaper.

Joe

Hidden
If you are a cigar smoker you should join www.cigarpass.com , the most user friendly cigar board I found.

I will take a look over there soon.

I want to ask my buddies here what they think first!

I haven't smoked many cigars, I have recently smoked two Romeo Y Julieta cigars, No. 1 and No. 2, in the last month or so. I enjoyed them both very much. Especially the No. 1 without a doubt the best cigar I have ever smoked. I haven't smoked any Cohibas yet. Well, I have smoked some Cohiba cigarios and liked them a lot, too. Knowing that I liked the Romeo Y Julieta No. so well, which Cohiba would you recommend?

Ed

Hidden

Ed, they are very different flavors to me so I really can't say which would be like your RyJ to you. Siglo V is very popular and held in high regard.

Knowing that I liked the Romeo Y Julieta No. so well, which Cohiba would you recommend?

Ed

Ed,

Try the Cohiba Esplendido. Make sure it's not a counterfeit.

Joe :usflag:

Monte Cristo # 2, expensive but the pyramid all other pyrmaid's are measured up to.

MonteCristo #2 is my favorite cigar of all time. You definately should try it.

I don't know, my buddy told me they run about $40. I don't think I have enough cigar experience to appreciate something like that yet.

My friend and I smoked a couple of Monticristo #2's last night here in Calgary Canada. I purchased each for $31 Can.......$28 US. As many have already said, it can be a great smoke and is consistently a good one at it's worst.

I also like the Partagas Series D....at a little less cost then the #2's. There is a limited edition out from 2001 that I hope to try later today.

I also like the mid sized Bolivar's....but they can be a little too strong for the uninitiated.

Bottom line......Try the Monticristo No 2 at least once.

Randy

I was in St. Barth's a few months ago and picked up a 3 pack of Monticristo #2 Habanas for $29 euro ( about $36 )... they were excellent!

Hidden

I bought another Romeo & Julieta Romeo No. 1 today. I paid 1,200 yen for it which is just over $10.00 US. I looked at the Cohibas they had and didn't see any of the ones mentioned here as singles. I did see a box of Siglo V but know price. I saw a Cohiba Siglo III for 2,400 yen and Siglo I and II for less than that. I also saw a Monte Cristo petit something or other, but decided to pass on it. I know another place that has a better selection (not sure of their prices) that I plan to check out later this week. They also sell bourbon, I think I saw a Hirsh gold foil there a while ago.

• 2 weeks later...
Hidden
Ed,

Try the Cohiba Esplendido. Make sure it's not a counterfeit.

Joe :usflag:

I bought another Romeo & Julieta Romeo No. 1 today. I paid 1,200 yen for it which is just over $10.00 US. I looked at the Cohibas they had and didn't see any of the ones mentioned here as singles. I did see a box of Siglo V but know price. I saw a Cohiba Siglo III for 2,400 yen and Siglo I and II for less than that. I also saw a Monte Cristo petit something or other, but decided to pass on it. I know another place that has a better selection (not sure of their prices) that I plan to check out later this week. They also sell bourbon, I think I saw a Hirsh gold foil there a while ago.

I did go to that place and bought both the Hirsch and a Cohiba Espelendido. It cost 2,500 yen or a little over 20 bucks American. I saw the Siglo V for 3,500 yen. I got the Espelendido in part because it was less expensive and also because I didn't think that I wouldn't have time to smoke the larger Siglo V in a single sitting anytime soon. I also saw the Monte Cristo #2, I forget the price, and a Romeo & Julieta Churchill, that was 2,500 yen. I think I will go get that for a campout we are planning, Looks like it would last all night.

I had a little Abelour A'bunath with the Espelendido. They went together well. Usually I have a barrel proof bourbon with a cigar like Booker's or Rare Breed.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I'm back from Ireland. I ended picking up some Montecristo Number 4, some El Rey Del Mundos, a Partagas number 4, and some Romeo Y Julietas. When I was there I tried a Punch but did not bring any back and I also sampled a Monte number 4, I think I liked the Punch better.

Looking forward to trying the rest. Thanks for your recommendations.

I'm kicking myself about that now, luckily I have frequent visitors from Ireland and I will be instructing them to bring some back. I looked in Duty Free today and they only had 4s and 3s but no 2s. Next time.

• 4 weeks later...
You didn't go for the Monte #2's????

A three pack of Monte #2's have been acquired. Sometimes I love working for an international company.

Don't know when I'm going to try one but it won't be for a week or two.

• 1 month later...

The Monte #2's can be spotty at times and are best with good age on them. Monte #4 is about one of the most consistent cigars of all time. (it is also the #1 selling Havana in the world) El Rey del Mundo, Partagas, RyJ, Monte, Cuaba and Punch all have good vitolas within their respective lines.

I'm oversea's right now, but unfortunately Im in Afghanistan, where I know everything is counterfit. I heard that you can bring Cubans back through customs, as long as it is a small number for personal use. Does any one know if this is true?

I'm oversea's right now, but unfortunately Im in Afghanistan, where I know everything is counterfit. I heard that you can bring Cubans back through customs, as long as it is a small number for personal use. Does any one know if this is true?

I, myself, wouldn't risk it. Of course, if you can get some while you are there you can smoke them there. Before I posted here about smoking Cuban cigars here in Japan, I checked to law to see if US citizens were prohibited from consuming cuban products while oversea.

Ed

Ps. Oops! Seems I didn't dig deeply enough! I have found, on the internet, a page stating that US citizens are not allowed to purchase products of Cuba while in a third country. I had checked a US government site that made no mention of this, it only stated that you couldn't bring them into the States.

http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/ccigar2.pdf

It is not true at all. In fact, as an American citizen you are not allowed to have any Cuban product even if you are not in the US. This falls under the "Trading with the Enemy Act" and is punishable by fines and imprisonment. This is a change that Dubya brought about in 2004(?) as it used to be legal to bring back up to $100 worth of goods for personal use.

Nothing for nothing I brought about 10 Cubans in with me without issue. A friend of mine works security at an airport and he said that they would confiscate them if they found them but most likely not press any charges.

Take that with a grain of salt at best!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.