Rye and Ginger

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Specifically, Rittenhouse Rye BIB and Ale-8-One, a ginger ale made in Winchester, Kentucky.

If you have tried Rye and Ginger before, and found the ginger ale overpowering, Ale-8-One might be a good choice. The ginger flavor is very subdued, but it is not overly sweet. The rye comes through, but doesn't overpower either. The two flavors are well balanced.

An easy, refreshing rye whiskey cocktail.

I filled a 16 oz. tumbler with ice cubes, added two shots of rye and filled the glass with Ale-8-One.

Note: Also good with Old Grand-Dad BIB instead of the Rittenhouse, and a squeeze of lime.

I was introduced to Ale8-1 this Summer in Kentucky, but never got the chance to mix it with bourbon as the locals suggested I do. Sounds as if you rather liked it Chuck. That's good 'nuff for me. Guess I'll have to try it at KBF next month.

:toast:

JOE

I love this drink, but I'm not in the Ale-8-1 area. Sounds good and it has caffiene!

I like Thomas Kemper Ginger Ale at about 4:1 with Rittenhouse BIB and a twist. I don't mind the sweeter Schweppes in a much stronger drink (3:2 or even close to 1:1) with Beam Rye.

Jeff

Ale-8-One will ship the product to you for a pretty reasonable price. Basically, the only up-charge is the shipping cost. They're selling a 12-pack for $7.75 and I paid $3.79 for a 6-pack at Liquor Barn, so that's about right. It won't rock your world, but it is a very authentic "taste of Kentucky" and worth experiencing if you like the basic taste of bourbon and ginger.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I used the Ale-8-One as a chaser rather than a mixer, to chase some Knob Creek. It was very good in that capacity too. This product may have to go on my permanent "must buy whenever in Kentucky" list.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.