George Dickel Barrel Select

leebo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Can anyone shed some light on this ? Saw it on my local retailers shelf recently.

Rectangular bottle , 43%. I don't remember if It had an age statement.It was in Boston, MA, thanks

Usually the search function turns up dozens of hits. Not this time.

Try this one.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

This is the text from the Dickel site:

Dickel announces

BARREL SELECT

George Dickel & Co. is very proud to introduce the 2006 Gold Medal Award *winning, George Dickel Barrel Select. Each year at peak periods of maturation, Master Distiller John Lunn selects approximately 10 barrels at a time of his most precious mellow whisky to produce the finest small batch Tennessee Whisky in the land.

George Dickel Barrel Select is currently available at the Visitor Center and will be available nationally July 2006. This 86 proof whiskey is aged between 10–12 years. It is created by mingling John’s hand chosen selections, our whisky provides a consistently smooth taste with perfect balance, rich amber color and a hint of vanilla – a result of the charcoal mellowing and slow aging process. These distinct characteristics create a super premium whisky that stands in a class by itself.

This handcrafted bottle was designed to commemorate the re-opening of the distillery in September 2003. In the style of George A. Dickel, every detail of the bottle reflects its beautiful craftsmanship, from the elegant shape and cork to its unique label design.

We invite you to enjoy this special handmade Tennessee whisky.

Hope this helps. I've been wanting to get a bottle of this but haven't seen it locally, and haven't had time to go to the distillery.

Thanks for the info, I realy enjoy the # 12, the GDBS was selling for $39.00, seems a little steep.

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know how the first bottling, the rectangular bottle with white letter (pictured in the link above in Dave's post) compares to the second (and I believe current bottling)? The second bottling is pictured here

post-1550-14489813163412_thumb.jpg.

I'm going to be purchasing a bottle in the next couple days and I'd like to get the best of them. Thanks all!

In what states is this product available? I can't find any in Indianpolis.

In what states is this product available? I can't find any in Indianpolis.

It's on the shelves in Texas.

~tp

Prescott, Arizona, too -- which made me think it was on the shelves everywhere (except perhaps in control states).

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Prescott, Arizona, too -- which made me think it was on the shelves everywhere (except perhaps in control states).

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Indiana isn't a control state, I just can't find it anywhere around here. I really hope it's around, because I've heard some very good things, I'd love to find a bottle.

• 4 weeks later...

Its not on the shelves here in Illinois that I have seen. I had to special order a bottle from Binny's for around $38. I personally love the stuff.

I bought a bottle of the first type referenced by TimmyBoston with the square bottling and the white graphic and lettering on eBay for about $65. I absolutely loved this bottling as well.

As far as comparing the two, I didnt really write down tasting notes from the square bottle (I had it about a year and a month ago), but I remember them being pretty similar in taste. I am not sure if Binny's ships alcohol (I doubt it) but since its done on eBay (and I've done it through the USPS) its a possibiliy. Let me know if you really cant find it anywhere near you, I could get you a bottle and then ship it to you (I would try and resist taking a sip!). Feel free to email me at asnigro@yahoo.com . It was definitely worth the roughly $40 cost to me at least.

• 8 months later...

Ohio has it in the 43.00-45.00 range. Every time I go and see it, I pick up something else in a lower price point. I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.

Available in Kansas at 38.00. Haven't tried it yet, as I like the 12yr at about half the price.

Over in the What are you drinking tonight, Spring '08 thread, Joe asked

What's the verdict between the GD and the JD. Interested in your opinion.

He was asking for my thoughts on Jack Daniels Silver Select vs. George Dickel Barrel Select. I didn't get back to him very quickly, and I thought a review would belong better over here. So here goes.

The JDSS is export only, unfortunately, but worth it if you can get some ($60 in London duty free last I heard). It's very intense, with a candied nose, fruity, and oddly, sea air (maybe others would call it salt water taffy?). Also surprising was if I held my nose about 1" from the rim of the glass and waved it back and forth I distinctly picked up bazooka bubble gum. The palate is balanced with the kind of big mouthfeel you normally associate with a big aged bourbon. I picked up jujus or candied fruit, bananas, and lots of caramel. Fat, luxurious finish with leather appearing near the end.

GDBS is quite a bit different. To me the GDBS is the quintessential Tennessee whiskey - it's what a Tennessee whiskey should be. The relation to GD12 is obvious, but the BS is more intense in every respect. The nose offers char, cornflakes, marzipan and a hint of coconut. For the palate the maple char comes through very clearly, which is what I associate with Tennessees. It's a very grainy whiskey too - cornflakes and oats are easily noticed. It moves into some custard and caramel. Nicely sweet, on the lighter side, with a crisp, clean finish.

Both are terrific pours. I would like to keep them both in my bunker.

Silver Select is the name given to bottles produced under JD's buy-a-barrel program, so it's from the same inventory as single barrel. It's not export only.

found a bottle today in Florida for $38.99. will be trying it out tomorrow night.

Silver Select is the name given to bottles produced under JD's buy-a-barrel program, so it's from the same inventory as single barrel. It's not export only.

Well, yes and no, according to my understanding: Silver Select IS export-only, but differs from the Single Barrel only in that it is bottled at 100 proof. The retailer single-barrels around here -- and there are many, including one just around the corner from me, which I brought to the Sampler last year -- all are 94 proof, and carry the standard single-barrel branding, plus a metal neck tag designating the owner/purchaser.

When I was visiting JD last, they were switching to a Silver Select bottling on the single-barrel bottling line, and explained the only difference was re-calibrating the proof and using the correct bottles.

I don't know. I have a bottle, domestic production, that says Silver Select and is 100 proof, and it was from a buy-a-barrel, although I got it direct from the distillery. Is it possible the barrel purchaser has some proof options?

My recollection is that they are "essentially" the same except for the proof, i.e., they both come from the same barrel inventory.

I don't know. I have a bottle, domestic production, that says Silver Select and is 100 proof, and it was from a buy-a-barrel, although I got it direct from the distillery. Is it possible the barrel purchaser has some proof options?

My recollection is that they are "essentially" the same except for the proof, i.e., they both come from the same barrel inventory.

When I looked at this a bunch of years back, there was (do not know if there still is) an option to have hight proof. At the time, the thought of purchasing a barrel seemed out of my league... so I did not ask any follow up questions.... but I think you could have at least up to 100 proof... maybe more...

...Is it possible the barrel purchaser has some proof options?..

Well, it's a question I've never asked directly, so I can't discount it. Seems odd, though, that I've never seen an instance of it occurring around here, though nearly every large liquor store has its own barrel of (94-proof) JDSB.

Well, it's a question I've never asked directly, so I can't discount it. Seems odd, though, that I've never seen an instance of it occurring around here, though nearly every large liquor store has its own barrel of (94-proof) JDSB.

Not that odd for retailers, since they'd get more bottles to sell at the lower proof.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'll take a stab at a comparison of the two, if you all dont mind.

JDSS

Proof: 100

Age Statement: None (as a single barrel whisky, it should not be too difficult for JD to provide this info!)

Batch size: Single barrel

Date: released 20 April 2007

Aroma: Corn, Char, and Cotton Candy

Taste: very broad dried banana chip flavor in the background, with honey, leather and dried fruit.

Dropping an ice cube or two can help make this whisky more approachable.

GDBS

Proof: 86

Age Statement: None

Batch: (10 barrels)

Date: "Hand selected" 2006

Aroma: Char and vanilla with light citrus

Taste: Vanilla extract. No fruit or grains other than corn, which comes across very rich. I have finally figured out why I always think VANILLA, VANILLA when I think about this whisky. Its the aftertaste. For me, I always wonder where the vanilla went when I take my first sip, but by the end of my glass, I am stunned by its richness of vanilla. The intensity of the vanila is on the aftertaste.

I wish this whisky was a bit higher proof, because I like my whiskies with ice. I often find myself lamenting that the ice has watered down this whisky a bit more than I prefer. Despite this draw back, I prefer this to the JDSS.

I read somewhere that the Barrel Select is 10-12 yrs. I get vanilla, cinnamon and butterscotch. It's very lush with long legs and slightly astringent. The finish to me is definitely butterscotch that lingers on the back of the tongue. I like it a lot, but it's over twice the price of the No. 12 and not twice a good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.