George Dickel Barrel Select

leebo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nice notes David,

The current JDSS I have open is raging with banana chips all over it, so much I find it hard to drink.

I like the GDBS, maybe if you want it "on the ice" without watering it down, throw it in the freezer for a while and try that.

Scott

raging with banana chips

Y'know, I found myself munching on banana chips while drinking JDSS the other day. It was intense.

Will try the freezer solution.

• 1 month later...

George Dickel Barrel Select (43%) hand selected in 2006

Appearance - red inflected gold body

Aroma - sweet woody vanilla jumps out.

Flavor - More of the vanilla, with grain on the mid-palate, and a very, very oaky finish, there is something lightly sweet, lighlty apricot perfume that stays on after the finish. Nice!

Conclusion - Far and above the best Tennessee I've had (blows the doors off of JDSS).

George Dickel No. 12 (45%)

Appearance - same as GDBS

Aroma - significantly more restrained aroma than the GDBS, not so much vanilla, but do get some oak, grain, some crackers and a resin flavor thats not on the BS.

Flavor - Again the resin flavor is here overlaying the oakyness. The oakyness is where I find the similiarity between this and the BS. Also apricots here.

Conclusion - Excellent whisky, but the aroma and concentration of vanilla flavor from the BS wins the day hands down.

Indiana isn't a control state, I just can't find it anywhere around here. I really hope it's around, because I've heard some very good things, I'd love to find a bottle.

I got a bottle at Kahn's in Indianapolis several months ago. Also...

Available in Kansas at 38.00. Haven't tried it yet, as I like the 12yr at about half the price.

Dickel 12 is Dickel Number 12, not 12 y/o.

Available in Kansas at 38.00. Haven't tried it yet, as I like the 12yr at about half the price.

Dickel 12 is Dickel Number 12, not 12 y/o.

No. 8 is eight years old,

No. 12 is ten years old,

and Barrel Select is 12-13 years old,

or so they told me at George Dickel.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought they were all blends? Chuck Cowdery passed along the rumored ages in late 2007:

#8 - 4-6yo

#12 - 8-10yo

BS - 10-12yo

Dickel's website says that their whiskey is aged "for up to 12 long years"

Have any bottles other than Cascade Hollow (3yo) or the BHC bottling (10 year reserve) ever had an age statement?

• 4 weeks later...
Hidden
I thought they were all blends? Chuck Cowdery passed along the rumored ages in late 2007:

#8 - 4-6yo

#12 - 8-10yo

BS - 10-12yo

Dickel's website says that their whiskey is aged "for up to 12 long years"

Have any bottles other than Cascade Hollow (3yo) or the BHC bottling (10 year reserve) ever had an age statement?

That wouldn't make them a blend, a blend is when you add GNS, they are like any other non single barrel a vatting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.