Favorite snack alongside your bourbon

highlife
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm a pretzels guy anyway and also find them a good complement to bourbon, but mostly what I like with bourbon is...

...more bourbon.

Chocolate (of course)... also nuts )macadamias mixed with dry-roasted almonds).

Lately, when I want something a little more substantial, its been crackers and some really good triple-cream cheese.

Right now I'm enjoying the heavenly combination of Rittenhouse Rye BIB and pistachios. Try it, trust me! :yum:

I usually don't eat anything when I'm drinking spirits, but when I occasionally do it is usually either natural, unsalted nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts), dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, apples, etc), or, rarely, brown sugar or other darkly sweet candy.

Tim

While I can't say I often have it, even though it's fairly easy to make, there is a great spread for crackers, that you generally can only find in Kentucky, called Benedictine. It doesn't contain bourbon, but it's such a Kentucky "thing" that it just has to go well with bourbon.

It is a cream cheese base flavored with cucumber and onion juice, then colored just a little with green food coloring.

I don't know much about it, except it is ubiquitous in Kentucky. I don't know where it comes from, why it is called that, or why it has to be green. I like it. It's tasty.

Recipes are easily found on the web.

I can't say that there is any one snack I like with bourbon, but brownies sure go well with it. Actually, I often get a taste of that slightly burnt, corner of the brownie pan taste in some bourbons--especially OGD114.

I hope this isn't an impetus for a new thread...What snack are you bringing to the Gazebo Table? :D

JOE

Thanks everyone for great suggestions. In our tasting last night we had some plain pretzels along with some hot-n-sweet peanuts and some cinnamon peanuts. All were very good. Will have to throw some dark chocolate into the mix next time.

I like anything chocolate, but I also like kettle corn with bourbon. I find the combination a sweet and salty goes pretty well with bourbon or rye.

Jay

When I'm camping in Cherokee North Carolina I like to grab a bag of boiled peanuts take them back to camp. Then I would have a pour of Rare Breed and eat the peanuts while they are still hot.

bj

• 4 weeks later...

Usually I’ll have jerky, preferably Buffalo Bill’s Cajun, or some sunflower seeds. While drinking from my better bottles I tend not to eat anything unless I get really hungry though.

I mostly don't eat while drinking bourbon. I do remember eating watermelon while drinking Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year old 90 proof and finding it Wonderful!

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

i don't usually eat anything with bourbon -i am trying to taste the flavor and i worry the food may interfere to much. however, the references to chocolate are making me rethink that position....

• 1 month later...

I'm not a huge chocolate fan, but brownies do sound like a good idea. I've also tried vanilla custard, and I think it goes great, especially if you use a small amount of Bourbon in the custard. Something sweet like EC12 is good for this.

What a great thread! I have never been able to find that perfect pairing. I do like pretzles, but they aren't perfect. I had never thought of chocolate, going to have to try that very, very soon.

I am used to very strong cheeses with red wine, but they don't seem to be right for bourbon.

Joel

Anyone who likes chocolate with their bourbon should try chocolate covered espresso beans along side their favorite pour..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.