But Always Fine Bourbon

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just read this book and highly recommend it. The author (Sally Van Winkle, granddaughter of Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle), brings to life the history of the family's involvement in the whiskey business. There are finely drawn portraits in particular of Pappy and his son Julian P. Van Winkle, Jr. Excellent photos underline many points of the narrative which is written in a simple yet warm, effective style. Writing the book was evidently a labor of love. Its design is also attractive and innovative. Essential reading for the bourbon enthusiast and for me it kind of closed the circle on Old Fitzgerald which was my favorite brand in the 1980's. I can see now why it had the quality it did and appreciate the full history and development of the brand. The company, Stitzel-Weller, was sold to Norton Simon in the early 1970's and that part of the story is related too with evident sadness. Still, the distillery continued to operate until 1992 and its whiskey can still be enjoyed in various forms. A fine read and must-buy for any whiskey enthusiast.

Gary

Thanks for the review Gary.

This book has been on my "to do" list for some time now and I will be placing an order with amazon or the like shortly.

I have been meaning to pick it up as well, but $125 for a used book? (amazon.com) :skep: Looks like it will be put off for a while longer...

It is an excellent book. Lots of information and very enjoyable/easy to read. Try the Buffalo Trace gift shop, that is where I have bought mine in the past.

I enjoy looking at the old labels with which the inside covers are lined. Learn something new every time I pore over them.

Did you read the newer version, Gary, with the additional chapter about Julian and Preston's operation? I'm afraid mine's the original one, and I hesitate to buy a whole 'nother book for a single chapter. Probably will eventually, though.

Jeremy (and others), you might try here, where I bought mine:

http://www.atasteofkentucky.com/Product.asp?id=&Stk_Code=513&cat=Books

I too have the original version. Unless someone tells me that there is groundbreaking info in there and no one is going to share, then the unexpanded version is the only one I'm going to have.

This is a great book and well worth the read!!

I also got my copy from A Taste of Kentucky.

They had no problem boxing it up and sending to Australia, and, they were fabulous to deal with :cool:

Mine must be the revised edition because it has the section on Julian and Preston etc...

Philip:

If you are looking for a Pappy Book in the UK, please contact Whisky Magazine. They have some in stock to sell.

www.whiskymag.com

Phone: (0) 1603 633 808

or the best source in the US is through the Buffalo Trace Gift Shop:

502-696-5926

Julian

Thanks Julian - I will get onto that as well as tuck into a bottle of your sublime Lot B this very weekend!

• 6 months later...

I just finished reading this book and also wanted to add my in my great appreciation of it! Highly Recommended. Three cheers for Sally Van Winkle Campbell for this excellent book!

Reading chapter 20 about the sale of SW in 1972 is absolutely gut wrenching. It is such a shame it had to end that way.

Here's to Julian for struggling through the 80's and early 90's and lets hope that he and Preston can continue to prosper in the future. While I am a huge Buffalo Trace fan and have nothing against them, lets also hope that the current success of the Van Winkle line can continue on to the point that maybe one day Julian and Preston can start their own distilling operation somewhere! :)

• 3 months later...
Philip:

If you are looking for a Pappy Book in the UK, please contact Whisky Magazine. They have some in stock to sell.

www.whiskymag.com

Phone: (0) 1603 633 808

or the best source in the US is through the Buffalo Trace Gift Shop:

502-696-5926

Julian

It doesn’t seem to bee available on any of these places. Anyone knows were to find this book at a dissent price? Latest version preferred!

Leif

Try the BT gift shop again. They shipped me one for a good price not to long ago. Also, try the phone at Rip Van Winkle, someone is usually there. Email also works.

Jeff Mo.

I had great success ordering a copy from A Taste of Kentucky. They were able to ship to Australia no problem.

www.atasteofkentucky.com

I second the Taste of Kentucky recommendation. They're good people. If that doesn't work, try your local flavor of Amazon for their used book resellers.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Just got a copy on Amazon. It's signed by Sally. I'll have to check if it has chapters on Julian & Preston.

btw, also got Bourbon Straight by Cowdery.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.