New Rye Label...

dougdog
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Some folks have asked for a picture of the new rye label....so here it is. (The photo does not do the "coat of arms" justice; Drew really designed a beautiful label)

This is the two "L" version...

dougdog

BTW; the box label is pretty cool too!

post-929-14489812611006_thumb.jpg

post-929-14489812611217_thumb.jpg

post-929-14489812611369_thumb.jpg

I have conflicting information about the provenance of the 20+ year old rye KBD is bottling (which is all of the very old rye that's about except the Rittenhouse 21). One source tells me it's "Cream of Kentucky" made by Schenley at DSP 2 (Bernheim) while another tells me it's Medley, from the same stock as Van Winkle Family Reserve. What does anybody else know?

It's a nice package and I'm happy to see them using the Willett name on something, but the cynic in me has to laugh about all the detailed information provided on the back label that neglects to reveal where the whiskey was actually made.

"Cream of Kentucky" rye recipie from Bernheim. 22yo. But don't quote me on this. LOL.

Randy

Chuck and others,

This bottling came about from my interest in getting what I call “raw†whiskey. I was seeking a barrel proof, unchillfiltered, single barrel product. I wanted something unique and drinkable, but I wanted to add my own water should any be desired.

My quest led me to KBD. Drew was the man who said it could be done and … Walla!

I’m new to the art of bottling a personal barrel selection and I had lots of help from the West Coast Study Group. Drew arranged for samples and we tasted from several barrels…this one stood out. That part is now history.

I had no idea things would unfold as they have…the training wheels are on here!

Then to top it all off, the review in Malt Advocate just put the icing on the cake.

I understand your concern Chuck, in listing the provenance of the source, but that was not one of my goals and further, I think Drew likes to keep his source close to the vest, so to speak.

To quote Neal, one of the guys in our study group…â€Nothin’ else really matters ‘cept the JUICE in the bottleâ€â€¦I couldn’t agree more. Sure, we all have our collections and bunkers full of stuff that would probably take three lifetimes to drink, but at the end of the day it is all about a good whisk(e)y.

I hope everyone enjoys it, I have certainly learned a lot in this adventure…I think I can more fully appreciate the endeavor of others who have preceded me in the other barrel programs that we have seen and tasted in the past. These types of ventures are truly a labor of love. I’ve enjoyed it!

Cheers!

"Cream of Kentucky" rye recipie from Bernheim. 22yo. But don't quote me on this. LOL.

Randy

That jibes with what I've been told by an 'inside source' -- KBD currently only has rye to bottle from DSP-1 (Bernheim), DSP-113 (Ancient Age/BT) and, I think, Early Times (I'm sure of being told the first two; not precisely sure, in the last case, but I think that's right).

This Rye can be purchased by Calling Ed at Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley, 510-540-9243. Ed cannot ship so you will need to rely on someone local to help you out. He is closed on Sunday and Monday.

The retail price has been set ($165.00...I know...I know) (that part was out of my hands) It is the highest price I've seen yet for a Rye whiskey. But I've been told that is due to the High proof and the fact that it is a "one off" product. (That much alcohol has a lot of tax on it)

I have it worked out if you mention my name and Straight Bourbon.com; Ed can give you 20 percent off on a bottle. Unfortunately there are very limited quantities.

BTW, not mentioned too often, this rye does very well when water is added to lower the proof...another one of the great qualities of this whiskey!

I'll be curious to read the tasting notes as these bottles get to their owners and they post here on the forum.

dp

Please don't take my comments the wrong way, Doug. I think the whole thing is way cool.

No harm Chuck...I'm always interested in what you have to say, and, truth be told, that is one aspect of the labeling that I overlooked, 'cause I'm still learning ya know...

Dunno if Drew would have done it even if I asked...maybe next time I will, if there is a next time...we'll have to see what unfolds from here...

The postings, so far, seem to indicate the correct origin IIRC.

Cheers !

Doug-

Do you have a link to the malt advocate review?

I don't know if one exists......I think this is the part where John would like you to buy his magazine...

He did score it a 96...in a field of 11...if you got the magazine, you might recognize some of the other Ryes in the group. HeeeHeeee!

dp

A lot of credit goes to the West Coast Study Group, Drew, Ed Ledger and Carlos the distributor...all key people in making this whole thing happen. Thanks you guys!!!!...sippin' some as I compose this....Yum!

It's an amazing spirit. During the blind tasting last May, I pegged it at about 90-100 proof.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way, Doug. I think the whole thing is way cool.

Me, too. To keep rye in front of people I'm very glad to see more options. A good rye on a cold night is a wonderful thing. Along with... (oops, never mind, fill in your own blank)

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

wow what can i say other than simply beautiful. well done.

• 4 weeks later...

After our formal bourbon tasting today, a bottle of the new Willett's Family Reserve 22 year old rye was opened. Doug, you and your tasting panel should be commended for picking one of the finest ryes we've ever tasted.

GOOD JOB buddy. :bowdown:

Joe :usflag:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.