William Larue Weller Antique Collection 2006

Nebraska
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm fishing for some tasting notes here. I don't have it available in this area yet. It would nice to here some comments from those of you that have been able to purchase it already. Last years version was not that impressive to me. Is this years last years and just aged one more year?

Checking through the posted scans is a bit interesting. the new version is older, yet lost less volume and arrived at a lower ABV. Different warehouse, but both on the 5th floor.

Looking forward to doing a side-by

Fifteen years also means it can be from Old Fitzgerald (aka, Stitzel-Weller -- closed in summer 1992) barrels. Does anything on the info sheets tell us?

I went by the Party Source in Cincy; they had all the BT collection available except for the Weller. Fortunately, I had spoke with a salesperson a couple of weeks prior and he set aside 1 bottle of all for me.

I also stopped by Cork and Bottle and they were out of the Weller as well. So, it seems this is the one that may be tough to find this year.

It says BT, but Spring '91 makes it possible...might be time to search out some "insider info"

I've compared the notes for both years and everything matches up the same except for wharehouse information. I'm assumming they were produced by the same distillery or at least with the same process. Being that last years was 1993 I'm guessing that this years release is not SW whiskey.

For the record last years was distilled in the fall of 1993 and bottled at 12 years and 2 months. This years was distilled in the spring of 1991 and bottled at 15 years and 3 months.

Somebody pop a top! :drinking: Lets hear some tasting notes. Good feed back so far though...thanks guys...very informative as always.

We popped a top :) It's better than last year. More wood.....more flavor.....better finish :) Gotta love my tasting notes.....huh?!?!!!!

Dawn

We popped a top :) It's better than last year. More wood.....more flavor.....better finish :) Gotta love my tasting notes.....huh?!?!!!!

Dawn

So Dawn, do you think Tim is right in that it may be SW? It would seem to make sense, 12 yo last year to all of the sudden 15+ yo; why not use the older stuff last year if they had it?

I want another opportunity to taste it before I answer that question. I'll do that tonight. I do know that tasting them side by side.....big difference. Jon gave me the two glasses and didn't tell me which was old and which was new. I think he was disappointed that I nailed it!

Dawn

Everetts in South Beloit, IL, has a good stock of the 2005 Antique Collection Eagle Rare 17, Sazerac Rye 18 and William LaRue Weller, at 49.99 for the Weller and 46.99 for the ER and Saz. They don't have the 06 Antiques yet. They have a Pappy 20 for 120.00 or 130.00 (I don't remember).

Although they don't ship, I mention them because they are very convenient to Interstate 90/39, spitting distance from the Illinois-Wisconsin state line, and I know we have quite a few participants in the region. It's a nice store, good everything selection, well-stocked, nice people. Run by a father (Brian) and son (Bryan).

Anybody who can get there and is willing to pick up a bottle or two or three of 2005 Saz 18 and help a fellow out in state-controlled Oregon (or Orygone, as everyone else seems to call us), I'd be much obliged.

Everetts in South Beloit, IL, has a good stock of the 2005 Antique Collection Eagle Rare 17, Sazerac Rye 18 and William LaRue Weller, at 49.99 for the Weller and 46.99 for the ER and Saz. They don't have the 06 Antiques yet. They have a Pappy 20 for 120.00 or 130.00 (I don't remember).

William Larue Weller is the Antique Collection's uncut, unfiltered wheat recipe bourbon. The barrels were aged 12 years on the fifth floor of Warehouse M. This year's William Larue Weller registers at 129.9 proof. At barrel strength you can really taste the wonderfully sweet and rich flavors of the wheat recipe

Sam's posted these as the tasting notes...wrong year?

Ok I got my bottle of WLW yesterday, but unfortunately do to stomach problems decided it was not the night to try it.

Today is a different story, feeling much better and did not want to wait any longer so....at 9 Am.

William Larue Weller Antique Collection 2006

129.9 proof, uncut, unfiltered, barrel proof.

The nose: Soft, warm and calling you to come in. Deep and rich hints of carmel, but a much more pronounced presence of a dark thick candy.

The first sip begins with that carry over from the nose, with that subtle warm richness you are being slid gently in to the fire lit room to relax. This is a very relaxing and comforting pour. The entry has that very subtle caramel and a much thicker candy-ish tone and then the unfiltered part comes to life, that cinnamon (or as I like to call it Rye zing). It isn't Rye, but when I have unfiltered bourbons I always get that tingle or zing right in the middle. The finish is smooth and lingering Citrus and a more pronounced candy, some licorice. Very smooth.

I definitely was not a fan of the 2005, I am a fan of the 2006. Great pour.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Where I do like last years I was a bit disappointed in the long run. I'm really looking forward to giving this years a go now.

Does anybody know for sure? Ken Webber? Anybody? Is the 2006 release of William Larue Weller a barrel proof Stitzel-Weller?

Joe :usflag:

Buffalo Trace has always claimed that the WLW releases are whiskey made at their Frankfort distillery. At one time, both BT and SW (along with Bernheim) were owned by the same company, Schenley, and so BT had some occasions to make wheated bourbon on SW's behalf. BT has been so good about supplying this type of information that I have no reason to doubt them on this.

It is true that I have no reason to suspect that they are lying, in fact IIRC the original Weller 19 sheets opted to not list a distiller. This is just a memory as I no longer have one-I do still have a ER17 sheet for 02, but that is all of them I managed to save.

I asked BT prez Mark Brown specifically about the original Weller 19 and he replied that it was whiskey they had made for SW that came back to them in a subsequent deal.

I finally got around to opening a bottle of this years WLW. I think I am in love. This bourbon is so sweet and mellow. I found that a couple drops of water seems to open it up like the rest of the Antiques. I couldn't stop drinking it last night (which is maybe why I have a headache this morning, hehe). By the end of the night I was experimenting by mixing WLW and Handy. It was a great combination that cooled down the Handy a little bit, but kept some of the great characteristics of each. I mixed a little of the Saz Jr and Bernheim as well. Both were great mixtures that I will definitely repeat again. All-in-all, I am glad I picked up the extra bottles of this years WLW because it has become one of my favorite pours. I plan to do a fleet with several of the WLW's in the near future.

I just got confirmation from Kris Comstock at BT that the WLW is the last of the old Stitzel-Weller stock.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.