William Larue Weller Antique Collection 2006

Nebraska
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey, Christian. Here in NYC it arrived last week. On the upper West side, the Stagg is going for 86 dollars. The other bottles are between 75 and 80.

-Mike

Don't feel too bad now Mike, its all about perspective. I am still thinking that Bevmo will be right around the $50 mark for all of them, if they get them that is. I know Bevmo never gets as much as Hi Time because I found out while talking to him that the distributor doesn't care for Bevmo's business practices.

I bought a Handy, Stagg and Weller from HiTime. My wallet hurt at those prices but Bevmo looks to be carrying less and less bourbon all the time so I'm not sure they will even get it. I'll pick up a couple extra bottles if I find them at Bevmo but otherwise I'm spent.

Well Mark, we (SoCal bourbon drinkers) are at the mercy, I am finding, of both an uneducated bunch that run BevMo as well as a distributor (Youngs Market) that doesn't care for them as a company. This all means BevMo essentially gets only what they know about and only the amount the distributor seems to not give to other more preferred stores, such as Hi Time. Now of course I am extrapolating and speculating some, but it doesn't take a genius to figure some of this stuff out. Bottom line, it's pretty dam frustrating to talk to a manager of a store who's only business is to sell beverages and doesn't have a clue what the BTAC is.... This industry seems very convoluted, one of these days I'll research why there has to be this three tiered approach.

Why can't Binny's just expand to the west coast?

WA. State has been reviewing thier Three-tier policy for some years. If your interested here. 68 pages! There is some interesting information in there.

My Bevmo (Huntington Beach, CA) has a hard time keeping anything stocked. Their small "premimum" bourbon case seems to have a lot of room in it and more and more I see some other type of spirit put in there because they don't know what to do with it. They are great for price but horrible for selection. Looks like HiTime and Binny's mail order may have to be the way to go.

My Bevmo (Huntington Beach, CA) has a hard time keeping anything stocked. Their small "premimum" bourbon case seems to have a lot of room in it and more and more I see some other type of spirit put in there because they don't know what to do with it. They are great for price but horrible for selection. Looks like HiTime and Binny's mail order may have to be the way to go.

Yeah I spoke to the manager of the one in HB yesterday, she is clueless when it comes to bourbon. I am sure that does NOT when trying to get limited edition type stuff from the distributor.

Anyway in an effort to avoid completely hijacking this thread I am VERY much looking forward to opening my bottle of William Larue tomorrow night up in Oregon. If it is as good as everyone has been saying I'll be ordering more through Binnys.

The Weller was really good. I'm trying to drink these as sparingly as possible but I don't know if I can.

We had one in the tasting today. It blew the doors off of everything else. Nothing like a barrel proof Stitzel-Weller.

Joe :usflag:

Based on the fact sheet, I don't think that the '06 Larue is really S-W. It is still a truly exceptional whiskey, though.

With all the BTAC bottlings, I'm going to have to be careful, lest the bottles develop an evaporation problem. :drink:

Based on the fact sheet, I don't think that the '06 Larue is really S-W. It is still a truly exceptional whiskey, though.

With all the BTAC bottlings, I'm going to have to be careful, lest the bottles develop an evaporation problem. :drink:

After opening this one the other night, I have to disagree with you. It tasted to me to be a dead ringer for SW, my friend even said "this is like Pappy15 on roids!"

The BevMo's that I frequent ( Rancho Cucamonga and Redlands) are not as bad as described here but I agree with them not being treated well by Youngs Market. I have heard nothing but excuses as to why they do not get more of the collection. I am going to try another location on Monday and will let SoCal SB.com members know what I find.

Well Mark, we (SoCal bourbon drinkers) are at the mercy, I am finding, of both an uneducated bunch that run BevMo as well as a distributor (Youngs Market) that doesn't care for them as a company. This all means BevMo essentially gets only what they know about and only the amount the distributor seems to not give to other more preferred stores, such as Hi Time. Now of course I am extrapolating and speculating some, but it doesn't take a genius to figure some of this stuff out. Bottom line, it's pretty dam frustrating to talk to a manager of a store who's only business is to sell beverages and doesn't have a clue what the BTAC is.... This industry seems very convoluted, one of these days I'll research why there has to be this three tiered approach.

Why can't Binny's just expand to the west coast?

Isn't some of this assertion false?

Store allocation is controlled and drawn up by Buffalo Trace and enforced more to the point by the local westcoast Sazerac representative. Young's Market follows the allocation arrangements & agreement, at least that is the way I understood it.

Store allocation is controlled and drawn up by Buffalo Trace and enforced more to the point by the local westcoast Sazerac representative. Young's Market follows the allocation arrangements & agreement, at least that is the way I understood it.

Where'd you hear that one? It's my understanding that the distributor gets a product allotment......and it's totally up to the distributor where it goes. If a sales rep has a good relationship with a certain store.....guess who gets a lot. (and vice versa for the stores that don't even get told about it.....hence, they get none)

Dawn

...It's my understanding that the distributor gets a product allotment......and it's totally up to the distributor where it goes. If a sales rep has a good relationship with a certain store.....guess who gets a lot. (and vice versa for the stores that don't even get told about it.....hence, they get none)

Dawn

Largely correct, Dawn. In many states, including here in Tennessee, is would be illegal for Buffalo Trace to explicitly 'direct' an allocation to a specific retailer. But that isn't to say BT can't 'suggest', leaving it to the distributor to decide whether or not it is in anyone's best interest to follow that 'suggestion'.

Where'd you hear that one? It's my understanding that the distributor gets a product allotment......and it's totally up to the distributor where it goes. If a sales rep has a good relationship with a certain store.....guess who gets a lot. (and vice versa for the stores that don't even get told about it.....hence, they get none)

Dawn

The "good relationship" part is in need of an explanation. If the location, in our case BevMo, accepts enough other BT and Sazerac products the relationship prospers. If they do not, it suffers.

It is an illustration of the laws of economics or unfair. Depends on how you view it. Bottom line is BevMo may want the BTAC and all of it's iterations, but my guess is they are not crazy about other Sazerac non whiskey products.

• 3 months later...

If someone has the information sheet from the 2006 Larue, would you please post the front side, showing the letter from BT? Thanks.

I see on the note that you posted that the WLW is in limited supply...

I saw one Friday....I don't want it (left it on the shelf) but if you want to know where it is just pm me :grin: :grin: Also there was a Handy and a Stagg there too...

Bettye Jo

Here you go :)

• 1 month later...

I did pop open my only bottle of WLW-6 today.

Was it good neat? Yes very good!

With water? Better still!

SW? No!

BT? I did drink a bottle of the WLW-05 but regardless of that I’m not that experienced in BT wheat recipe bourbon. I guess it might be BT but I can’t say it did remind me of any I have tasted.

Outsider? Yes it did remind me of Bernheim wheat recipe bourbon from the first time my nose came close the glass and in the mouth it tasted about exactly how I would believe a 5-year-older unfiltered ORVW 10 Frankfurt would taste.

Leif

Remember that straight bourbon can include bourbons made at different distilleries. Conceivably, any BT-produced wheater might included wheated bourbon from BT, Bernheim and SW.

Weller 12 is just one example of a bottling that previously was a combination of SW and presumably Bernheim wheated whiskey.

Randy

• 2 months later...

I guess I"m pretty lucky with my local BevMo as the manager is a bourbon fan. In speaking with him via phone, I request to reserve a bottle of the GTS '07. He then informed me that his store will only recieve 6 bottles.

They will not go to the shelf and it's my understanding he keeps the high end/limited edition bottles in the back room, and will only sell them to people 'in the know'. IE someone looking to give it as a gift will the reply "We're sold out" vs. someone coming in hunting for and and could tell him who the distiller is. "Obiviously it's the Stagg Distillery!" will get the response "SOrry, we're all sold out" and with only 6 bottles you can imagine they're going to go fast.

But I am trying to discover when the other antique collect editions are released?

Edit: And this weekend I"m going in to personally introduce myself to the manage and establish I'm a bourbon fan so hopefully he'll take pity on me and hide a bottle. I did tell him come late october I'll be calling everyday.

Another high end/large volume store, the Wine Cellar in Escondido, has told me to call in early Sept to reserve a bottle. It is a drive but if I can start reserving bottles then I'll happily make the trip. Plus there are some good breweries up there worth stopping at!

But I am trying to discover when the other antique collect editions are released?

!

All 5 of the BTAC are released at the same time, mid to late Oct.

Keep checking in, it will be announced and discussed here on SB.com.

'Released' and 'available' are two different things. Last year, for instance, the BTAC was released in early-October, but didn't find its way to many non-Kentucky shelves till almost Thanksgiving.

In other years, it has been available prior to the Festival in September. Chances are good you'll find out here when it happens, but don't anticipate anything too specific beforehand.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.