Rye Newbie Question

vamtnlion
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Have just decided to try rye given all the publicity it's received lately. I picked Old Overholt as my first rye brand and find that I like it very much - incredibly smooth and pleasant tast, albiet a tad weak, even taken neat. Any feedback on this brand? Should I branch out, what brand is recommended next?

Wild Turkey Rye and Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond Rye are both quite good; however, I don't know if they are available in your state. If you are interested in trying them and they are unavilable in your state, you can get them from Binny's in Chicago. Go to their website and you will be impressed with their selection.

Doug

I just checked the Virginia ABC, and they only list JB Rye and Old Overholt. :banghead: I'm so glad I don't live in a control state, even if Chicago prices tend to be a bit high.

OO really comes into its own when it's used in cocktails - an Old Overholt-based Manhattan, Red Hook, or Sazerac is quite good.

I haven't yet tried JB rye, but I have a bottle that will be opened soon.

Even though the Northeast is considered a traditional rye stronghold, the west shore of Lake Michigan (roughly Chicago to Green Bay) at least matches it...

I'm not sure how much you get out and about, but many of us have become fairly used to the idea of traveling to get bottles. I know that I have picked up the Rittenhouse BIB in WV. D.C might be an option for you too.

Or, if you're willing to take a risk, you can always do a special order through the VA ABC store, but you need to get a whole case.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.