Bourbon and cola

mrt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bourbon and cola?  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Bourbon and cola?

• I like
    • I don't like
    • So so

Bourbon and cola...I know it's not a connoisseur's choice, but I find it rather delicious. I drank JD and cola on the rocks tonight, and it was really very good...I wanted to drink again and again :yum: (but did not do so:))

What do you think?

Bourbon and coke for years had me believing I didn't like bourbon. Turns out I just didn't like it with coke.

It was my staple bourbon diet for about 15 years....

Then my tastes matured and I pushed myself into drinking it neat / with water / over ice.

I still go back to Ready to Drink bourbon and coke for convenience at parties etc, but now my concern is more about the calories contained in the coke (I must be getting older :bigeyes: )

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Bourbon and coke for years had me believing I didn't like bourbon. Turns out I just didn't like it with coke.

The exact same thing happened with me, I thought bourbon and coke was the only way to drink bourbon, so I came to the conclusion, early on, that I did not like bourbon.

Off subject now,........

In the late80's/early90's a friend turned me on to Maker's Mark, and I would then buy a bottle shortly before every Christmas and mix it with egg nog.

I gradually converted to MM with crushed ice, and finally neat.

I think MM nose is what hooked me on bourbon.

but now my concern is more about the calories contained in the coke (I must be getting older :bigeyes: )

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Have a "Slim Jim".

That is Jim Beam and Diet Coke.

Bourbon and cola...I know it's not a connoisseur's choice, but I find it rather delicious. I drank JD and cola on the rocks tonight, and it was really very good...I wanted to drink again and again :yum: (but did not do so:))

What do you think?

It depends on what kind of mood I'm in...Right now I am having the same as you, Jack and Coke. I'm having it now because I have a pizza and wings on the way! Goes great with Jack and Coke.

I only ever drink this when I'm on a night out to get hammered! It reminds me of cough sweets? I drink my Bourbon straight 99% of the time.

Oh and indoors I have not ever added anything but a drop or two of water to my whiskey - and I last did that when Moses was a boy come to think of it.

Gimme it straight or not at all!

Myself, I enjoy it all neat. Have I become a Bourbon snob:bigeyes:

I used to think anyone was welcome to try any of my bottles...I must admit that has changed...your welcome to try any of my bottles if you want to try it the way I want you to try it...and that's neat, maybe with an ice cube or two if you must.

I guess my problem is that some of these bottles were hard for me to get, either because of price or location, and I am just not convinced that a Bourbon and coke with PVW 20 is "that" much better than a Bourbon and coke with WT 101. Does starting with a better product still make a better drink when mixed with such a competitive flavor?

I have no problem if someone wants to mix Coke, or 7-UP with some of my bottles, just not all of them.

:toast:

I agree 100%, Todd. Up to about $20 or 25 per bottle, people are welcome to mix if they must. But, if they want the expensive stuff, they better want to taste the bourbon.

Tim

Believe it or not, I used to drink gin and coke when I was younger. Much younger. It was really not that bad, and I enjoyed freaking out bartenders by asking for it. But bourbon and coke...Never!!

Bourbon and cola...uh, hold the cola. I'm not a fan of soft drinks invading my booze, just too sweet.

I drink one of these about once per year but I may increase that.

It is good I find with a meal where you won't have something sweet after. Recently it accompanied Domino's new Brooklyn-style pizza and the two went very well. (That reminds me to report on my recent encounter with Cincinnati chili).

You can splash in just a few ounces of cola and with lots of ice I find the drink is only moderately sweet.

Recently I made one with Weller 107 and it was very good, not only that, the distinctive Weller taste came through.

I've tried this with diet pop and it doesn't work, the real thing is better. Sometimes I mix regular and diet Coke 50/50, I figured I'd try that, I've heard about this guy who blends everything. Actually it's very good. :)

Gary

Lately, I've been on a 'mix-it-with-something' kick. I don't know why, I've just not wanted to think about the bourbon every time I pour it. A (rarely Coca-)cola-and-bourbon is enjoyable while settled in reading, for example.

I almost exclusively use diet cola, and will pour any bourbon that strikes my fancy at the time -- I've even used Stagg, and mixed one with ER17 ('05) last night -- though it's a good way to get rid of seldom-poured/not-well-liked bottles, too.

Ginger ale, I've found, goes pretty well with Scotch, either blended or single malt.

I never mix Cola with anything except Jack Daniel's or a "cheaper" bourbon. I have never mixed it with Weller or anything like that. To be honest, that would just feel wrong.

Just curious on your reasoning on that.

Would it be that better liquor can't be detected in a mixed drink? (I am not disagreeing, just wondering why you feel that way).

Gary

Just curious on your reasoning on that.

Would it be that better liquor can't be detected in a mixed drink? (I am not disagreeing, just wondering why you feel that way).

Gary

To me, bourbon is meant do be drank neat. I can't see wasting Old Rip Van Winkle 107 in a glass of Coke! But, depending on what kind of mood I'm in or if I'm eating, I may pour some Jack Daniel's or maybe Fighting Cock, or Evan Williams in with some Coke and Ice. I don't do it all the time.

Better ingredients, better...oh hold on thats pizza! What was I thinking?

While I'm probably not gonna start pouring my RR101 in coke, the different flavors or different bottlings will make a difference in the cocktail(can we call it that?), the (likely) higher proof of a premium pour will be less dilute in the finished drink than your average 80 proofer and the additional aging will give more of the vanilla and oak flavors to the profile.

I basically stopped drinking softdrinks a few years back, and had given up mixing bourbon with it damn near a decade ago. About a month ago someone had left a coke here and I thought I'd revisit the cocktail of my youth-just nasty, how did I manage to drink that back then....

I agree that good bourbon should be drunk neat and would be lost in a cocktail. It is not that it wouldn't go well there, but there is a law of diminishing returns...

I find lesser liquors do go well in mixed drinks and so do complex blends of good and lesser liquors - which is really what cocktails are all about.

Gary

For me it depends on the cocktail. I don't mix bourbon and Coke - but a Manhattan, Red Hook, Sazerac, or such can be quite a refreshing drink.

Normally I go with quality mid-shelf bottles. Even so, a Sazerac Cocktail made with 18yo Sazerac Rye or VWFRR is an experience in itself. If you mix a Manhattan with Stagg, you can definitely taste the difference (not to mention get snockered in a hurry, since mixing it takes away the burn that says "Slow Down").

I'm of the school that you should taste the booze in the cocktail.

If I mix bourbon, its typically with ginger ale. To be specific, I'm not a big Makers Mark fan, but do enjoy it iced with ginger.

I don't drink bourbon with Coke. But, a few times when I've had maybe a very small bit of bourbon left in my glass (by very small, I mean 1/4 oz), done drinking for the evening, and not wanting to waste; I'll drop an equal amount or so of Coke in (if it's open and within arms reach), swirl it around and finish it off in one swig. I don't find this concoction unenjoyable (actually it can be soothing when the pipes are burning), but not something I would like in larger quantities or more frequently.

JOE

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.