Bourbon and cola

mrt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bourbon and cola?  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Bourbon and cola?

• I like
    • I don't like
    • So so

Bourbon and cola? No. But JD and Coke? yes. It's what I most often drink when in a bar. Jack can be found anywhere; even out here out in the sticks.

Though I rarely drink it at home.

I am an avid bourbon and coke drinker. I really enjoy the flavor. I only mix with Coca-Cola (No diets or Pepsi - YUCK). I typically use less expensive bourbons to mix with. For example my favorite cheap mixer right now is W.L. Weller Special Reserve 7YO. I get 1.75 L for $19.99. I usually have a bourbon and coke when I come home from work. I will mix up a tall one and snack on some chips and dip, etc before dinner. I usually wait until after dinner to drink the more expensive bourbons neat. I guess I sort of consider that dessert.

I am an avid bourbon and coke drinker. I really enjoy the flavor. I only mix with Coca-Cola (No diets or Pepsi - YUCK). I typically use less expensive bourbons to mix with. For example my favorite cheap mixer right now is W.L. Weller Special Reserve 7YO. I get 1.75 L for $19.99. I usually have a bourbon and coke when I come home from work. I will mix up a tall one and snack on some chips and dip, etc before dinner. I usually wait until after dinner to drink the more expensive bourbons neat. I guess I sort of consider that dessert.

I love this post, I laughed out loud! Bourbon, Coke, Chips, Dip BEFORE dinner! Then, the expensive bourbon for dessert. Excellent!

I voted 'Like it' thought I only very rarely drink it. Sometimes I is just the thing. I don't have any particular problem with mixing a top shelf bourbon. Just so long as the results are good. I not sure that a top shelf bourbon would make a good Bourbon and Coke, though. I have tried Booker's and Coke and didn't care for it. In fact, I tried it several times at several strengths. It just didn't do it for me.

I really haven't experimented with many bourbons in this drink. It isn't some thing I crave very often. So far, my favorite bourbon for this drink is I.W. Harper. Very nice on a hot summer day! I won't be seeing one of Those for a while!

Ed

I was explaining to some people this week that, in the South, when people make a Jack and Coke it's usually about 4 parts Jack to 1 part Coke. Try it that way and you'll see it's a completely different drink. I call it the Redneck Manhattan.

I was explaining to some people this week that, in the South, when people make a Jack and Coke it's usually about 4 parts Jack to 1 part Coke. Try it that way and you'll see it's a completely different drink. I call it the Redneck Manhattan.

That's a pretty stiff mixture. I usualy prefer a 40\60 to 50\50 mix. About what you would get if you asked for a double JD and Coke "short one" and tiped the bartender well.

I might have to try the "redneck Manhattan". I have a bottle of JD single barrel here at home.

I used to mix bourbon and coke until the doc told me that the kidney stones I was getting was due to drinking too much dark pop. 8 stones in 12 years is enough of a deterrent for me. Now it is strictly a mix of ginger ale and bourbon!

Thomas

Some how I missed your post. I tend to go for something around beer strength when mixing a bourbon and coke. I will definately try a Redneck Manhattan one of these days.

Ed

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Occasionally, I will have one at a bar. It's not a bad little drink, but they are by no means my favorite. I haven't poured one at home, in I can't remember how long.

What I thought would be fine, actually. I mixed JD with cook and it was a %50-50 mix. I'll try the "redneck manhattan". It sounds promising :)

What I thought would be fine, actually. I mixed JD with cook and it was a %50-50 mix. I'll try the "redneck manhattan". It sounds promising :)

I don't know if I would mix it with a "cook"...lol....if you have too many, you may end up being a cook!

I tend to mix my Redneck Manhattan's about 60/40 on the bourbon to coke ratio. If it has been a hard day I'll go 80/20...

I tend to mix my Redneck Manhattan's about 60/40 on the bourbon to coke ratio. If it has been a hard day I'll go 80/20...

Man, I normally just go 100/0. :grin:

Man, I normally just go 100/0. :grin:
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

sounds like a winning recipe to me,.... mind if I use it?

Use Coke Zero. The sweetness of Coke without the calories.

At least that's what my wife does.

I've yet to try a bourbon and coke that way - makes sense to consume less calories when one can :bigeyes:

I don't know if I would mix it with a "cook"...lol....if you have too many, you may end up being a cook!

:o that's really embarrassing...

A few others have mentioned this already, but I don't think Bourbon mixes well with Coke, close, but not quite. I do, however, find that JD and Coke (only Coke, not Cola, Pepsi, or anything diet) complement each other very well. This is still one of my favorite cocktails.

When I drink Coke I tend to drink Diet Coke or Coke Zero, both of which I find very acceptable, but for mixing purposes the fake sugar versions just don't seem to work. I also agree that JD and Coke seem to have a particular affinity.

Maybe because Lynchburg is only about 200 miles from Atlanta.

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda of a sideways bourbon-and-Coke tonight -- I can't find a ginger beer around here, so have bought some ginger ale to try a makeshift rye-and-ginger. Best I can do without a trip to KY, it seems. Anyway, I don't particularly care for the ND Bourbon deLuxe (1978) I have open (remember, these are the folks who originally came up with Old Grand-Dad), which strikes me as heavy on the rye side. So, am mixing if with the ginger ale. Pretty good combo of spice and sweet.

Just a few minutes ago, I had some Beam White&Coke on the rocks. I like this taste. JD&Coke is sweeter, but I enjoyed Beam White, too. BTW, I had it together with a slice of pizza and chips, and it was a good company. Bourbon with meal? Mixed with coke, yes! Bourbon&Coke might not be better than bourbon neat, but who says it's not better than "coke neat"-at least sometimes? :)

I drink bourbon & coke on occasion, but it's a thing of laziness when I just couldn't be bothered. Jack and Cola stubbies were good until they lowered them from 8% to 7% and now they are only 6%:bigeyes:

So I still often go for the Wild Turkey and Cola premix and it still comes in at 8%...don't need too many of those!

Scott

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.