Bourbon and cola

mrt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bourbon and cola?  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Bourbon and cola?

• I like
    • I don't like
    • So so

Seems like the bourbon and coke category is catching up with the dislike bourbon and coke.

Ed

I don't have any coke to try it! But I do like Sierra Mist and bourbon. Also, if I remember right, Coke goes really well with Rum!

In fact, I found out I like Captain Morgans straight.

To me, with most mixed drinks, the mixer takes the lead.

Bourbon and coke in my opinion is someone who just wants to drink alcoholic coke. As in my opinion, vodka is alcoholic water since its diluted so much.

For my personally, if I want to drink coke I want the taste of coke and I wouldnt want anything to interfere with that.

And you KNOW thats how I feel about my bourbon

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with BourbonBalls on this one. I like bourbon and I like coke. However, I am not fond of bourbon and coke together.

To me, with most mixed drinks, the mixer takes the lead...

Well -- get a new bartender. I just had a little while ago a Scotch and ginger ale -- about 70% young, Lowlands single malt scotch, and 30% (diet) ginger ale. Pretty darned good, frankly. And, I tasted the Scotch!

My point is, I guess, that sometimes I want a drink without THINKING about it. Thus, a mixed drink is welcome. But, I can mix it any way I want it!

• 2 months later...

My earliest experience with bourbon was when, at 16, my grandfather set me up with a series of bourbon-and-cokes. He thought that it would be cute to get me looped before a Christmas eve candlelight church service. A fond memory but, these days, I have zero interest in mixing bourbon with coke.

• 4 weeks later...

Hehe, the closest I come is Jack and Coke wich I like fine. I don't have a bottle of bourbon I'd be willing to use for Bourbon and Coke. lol.

For now, those who like bourbon and cola together seem to have taken the lead! And together with those who opted for "so so", we can say that bourbon and cola is at least "drinkable" for %60 of the constituents.

We're still on track, to be continued :)

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like we got a tie ballgame, 35-35.

(edit)

later that day,....

I Like moves ahead by one, 36-35

(edit)

still later that day,....

A mere hour later and we are tied again, 36-36

I like it with Coca-Cola Classic. I don't like it with diet at all.

Still 99% of the time a drink my bourbon neat or on the rocks.

Not something I choose, but I politely accept in the presence of company. I like Spiced Rum and Cola, RC Cola more than Coke. Bourbon and cola: not so much. Strangely, I love bourbon straight but I can barely tolerate rum straight.

Not something I choose, but I politely accept in the presence of company. I like Spiced Rum and Cola, RC Cola more than Coke. Bourbon and cola: not so much. Strangely, I love bourbon straight but I can barely tolerate rum straight.

Rum and cola... now we're talkin'! Reminds me of many, many pleasant nights in San Juan. I couln't afford beer but rum seemed almost cheaper than water. God bless the cuba libra!

Once in a blue moon on a hot day instead of beer; or in the dead of winter when there isn't a good Rum around...

Seldom these days though because if your having a sweet drink - why not mix an interesting cocktail... :)

I agree with the concept of using a cheaper bourbon ... wouldn't use Wild Turkey or my precious Rare Breed; but Sam Cougar which I find is more grainy goes well with cola and is "expendable" as a mixer... :)

Call me a purist or whatever HT, but I resent paying someone else to mix my drinks when I can do it myself and get the strength I want. :D

And - It's somuch cheaper!

Coca-Cola, for me, pairs only with pizza. Bourbon mixes in well as a digestive though.

• 1 month later...

I started down the bourbon trail by mixing it with coke. That all ended when I switched to Bourbon rocks. Now I drink it almost always drink it neat. The last bourbon coke I had was at a party. The hostess handed me a Blanton's and coke and I didn't want to be rude. I was crying inside as I sluged it down. Then I went and got a proper pour. My wife mixes with sweet or sour every once in a while. I now make sure that I have plenty of WT Rye on hand for her mix.

I started down the bourbon trail by mixing it with coke. That all ended when I switched to Bourbon rocks. Now I drink it almost always drink it neat. The last bourbon coke I had was at a party. The hostess handed me a Blanton's and coke and I didn't want to be rude. I was crying inside as I sluged it down. Then I went and got a proper pour. My wife mixes with sweet or sour every once in a while. I now make sure that I have plenty of WT Rye on hand for her mix.

A prediction: (I'm an old newspaper columnist, and I've stuck my neck out and been wrong -- I think:slappin: -- once or twice before. I've mixed Stagg with generic store-brand diet cola -- GASP! And enjoyed it!) There will come a time whe you don't WANT Stagg or Blanton's or Booker's or whatever neat, and you'll decide bourbon-and-Coke, or bourbon-and-ginger, ain't so bad after all.

At that point, you will have passed to connoisseurship.

(People tell me I'm a con-a-sewer all the time.)

I've mixed Stagg with generic store-brand diet cola -- GASP! And enjoyed it!)

I tried a "Stagghattan" a while back - It was very tasty, the Stagg character was very evident even with the vermouth and bitters present, and I was thoroughly blitzed afterward. :slappin:

Some years ago, after getting married, my wife drug me to a "karaoke party". (why is it once you're married you must have "couple friends"?) Anyhow, I took along a bottle of Weller Antique and it was then I discovered just because you really like something neat doesn't mean you'll like it mixed. In this case with Coke.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy,

I'm a "noobie" when it comes to alcohol. My first attempt to consume Bourbon was Jim Beam Black label straight. YUCK!! Jet Fuel in a glass! 1.5 oz of torture :bigeyes:

The next day I poured 1.5 oz. of JBB and mixed in a good 3 oz. of water. Yuck! Jet fuel mixed with water! Today I tried mixing JBB with my favorite beverage: Diet Coke. 1.5 oz. of JBB with a good 6 oz. of Diet Coke.

YES! Good: it taste like Diet Coke with bourbon in it.

All of you veteran Bourbon lovers with experience prefer Bourbon neat or maybe over ice with a splash of water. I understand.

Eggman

• 4 weeks later...

This is an historic note. Back in the day (late 80s) a popular drink on the street here among the lets get hammered set was "Oldoverjolt", a blend of Old Overholt and Jolt (all the sugar, and twice the caffine) Cola, preferably in a 2 liter.

To be honest, I still enjoy big cheap rye from time to time...

Robert

That's interesting, Overholt and Jolt, I hadn't heard that. I wonder if the rhyming encouraged the drink, maybe it is a coincidence.

I rarely drink bourbon and cola, not because I don't like it, but it is a rich drink and the calories are brutal.

Still, I have an exception: with pizza. Domino's pizza specifically, and usually in motels when visiting bourbon country.

I've done this a few times. Perfect combination.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
That's interesting, Overholt and Jolt, I hadn't heard that. I wonder if the rhyming encouraged the drink, maybe it is a coincidence.

I rarely drink bourbon and cola, not because I don't like it, but it is a rich drink and the calories are brutal.

Still, I have an exception: with pizza. Domino's pizza specifically, and usually in motels when visiting bourbon country.

I've done this a few times. Perfect combination.

Gary

I stand fully in favour of this combination, too. It really goes well with pizza. I prefer Pizza Hut or one of the local pizza stores here, though.

Twenty five years ago bourbon and Coke was the beverage of choice for football games, so I drink bourbon and Coke on Saturdays while I watch, because the drink tastes like college football to me. Except it's Coke Zero now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.