Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye

leebo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Who has tried some of this new rye? My understanding is that it the saz. rye but at barrel strength, 132.7 proof. Have 2 bottles , opened one. Tastes great, taste results to follow

Who has tried some of this new rye? My understanding is that it the saz. rye but at barrel strength, 132.7 proof. Have 2 bottles , opened one. Tastes great, taste results to follow

Yes, it has been discussed here some. Try here.

Overall thought, I believe, is that it is quite nice. No, it is NOT a barrel proof Saz at all. The Handy is 8 year, and the Saz is a quite older whiskey.

...No, it is NOT a barrel proof Saz at all. The Handy is 8 year, and the Saz is a quite older whiskey.

Actually, Jeremy, I believe it IS the younger, newer Sazerac at barrel-proof.

Actually, Jeremy, I believe it IS the younger, newer Sazerac at barrel-proof.

Ahh. I was not thinking about the Saz Jr. Thanks for pointing it out Tim.

I think the new Handy is excellent. I haven't been this thrilled about a pour since George T. Stagg.

bj

• 4 months later...

Well, I just cracked this one open last night, and I do have to agree with the general opinion that this is, indeed, a truly excellent whiskey-- rye or otherwise.

Nose-- I detected mint and clove right off the bat, with a bit of caramel.

Taste-- The initial mouthfeel has been characterized by others as "oily", but I would go one step better, and, instead, characterize it as "buttery." While it is a powerful whiskey, the mouthfeel is nicely rounded-off. A very sweet, dark caramel taste dominates the palate. While not heavy in body, this is indeed a very rich whiskey. As for spice, I didn't pick up the mint that I found in the nose, though the clove was still there. I also detected a very warm spiciness, sort of like cinnamon and nutmeg. There was also a vague sort of nuttiness, like somewhere between walnut and pecan, for lack of a better description.

The finish does have a very brief burn to it-- this is a 132.7 Proof whiskey, after all! The finish is moderate in length. Not the longest or driest, to be sure.

Overall, I would recommend this whiskey to anyone who likes the occassional sweet and rich whiskey. It very neatly complements the Eagle Rare 17-year, which was drier and more earthy in comparison. If you are a religious collector of the Sazerac Antique Collection, YOU MUST GET THIS WHISKEY! It really is too good to pass up, even at $50 a bottle...

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this one last night. The bottle had been opened, but I had no recollection of tasting it.

The nose was mainly caramel and leather, and it remained so until I had added quite a bit of water. At that point floral notes (lilac?) appeared.

Sipped neat it was simply too overpowering for my palate in its current condition. As I continued to add water, a few drops at a time, I was able to relax and enjoy the flavor.

At first it showed a spicy character; then it followed the same progression as the nose had earlier.

I like this one a lot. I may make it my regular pour (about twice a week these days) for a while.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

• 2 weeks later...
.... At that point floral notes (lilac?) appeared....

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I wasn't able to pin down the floral notes in Thomas Handy till I read your post which prompted me to stop and smell the lilac bush (now blooming) in my front yard. Good nose, Dave!

• 3 months later...

I am clause to the bottom of my only bottle of Handy. Good rye but not in the same division as Stagg and WLW 2006 to my personal taste.

In the middle age division its one of the better but quit a bit behind Rittenhouse 10.

Neat it’s very caramel dominated and bourbon like. I prefer it at my universal rye proof around 95. It’s very spicy with the BT trademark cinnamon dominating. However the spices come out very “sticking†and young like to me and I am sure this brand will improve for every year for a very long time following. The potential in the long run seem almost unlimited to me.

Leif

Had to laugh a bit when I read your post, Leif. Simply because I disagree with almost everything you wrote. :grin:

I have not tried the WLW, so obviously I cannot comment on that but I find Handy to be much better than Stagg (and Sazerac 18yo). Nor did I find it to be very bourbon-like and unbelievably enough, I did not perceive it to be too young. :grin:

I can give you the benefit of the doubt about its status compared to the Rittenhouse 10yo. Have to sample them together a bit more before I pass the final verdict.

Well, that´s pluralism to you! :)

I'm a huge fan of the Handy Rye. Like Hedmans, and unlike Leif, my experience with this rye is all positive. I thought it fit in with the rest of the BTAC very well, holding up to Stagg and WLW quite well. Unlike the rest of the BTAC clan it is younger, but given its quality more than makes up for it.

My impressions include lilac, caramel and spice on the nose, then caramel, leather, tobacco, mint, spice (including, but not limited to cinnamon) for the palate. An enormous finish, not quite as much of a freight train as the Willet, but it's up there.

Just describing the flavors and aromas doesn't do it justice. Straight, it is very hot, and probably the most teeth-kicking, throat-grabbing whiskey I've ever had. It has the ability to take control of your consciousness.

Of course, that's because I was drinking it neat. I should try it at a lower proof, or even with ice, but I love that barrel-proof kick so much I never get around to it. The only time I don't drink it neat is when I cut it with baby Saz at a 50-50 split for something a little more civilized.

If I'm not mistaken, is that just about the same thing as cutting it with water?

Had to laugh a bit when I read your post, Leif. Simply because I disagree with almost everything you wrote. :grin:

I have not tried the WLW, so obviously I cannot comment on that but I find Handy to be much better than Stagg (and Sazerac 18yo). Nor did I find it to be very bourbon-like and unbelievably enough, I did not perceive it to be too young. :grin:

I can give you the benefit of the doubt about its status compared to the Rittenhouse 10yo. Have to sample them together a bit more before I pass the final verdict.

Well, that´s pluralism to you! :)

I have to adjust my comment in this matter. I did only taste it neat when just opened and I did not find it bourbon-like in the nose or finish but defiantly in the middle part with is a bit ironic since it is very spicy and “typical†rye tasting with water.

I do like this brand and gave it 86 in the 100 point scale to compare with 90 for Rittenhouse 10. Stagg and WLW from antic collection 2006 are far over 90 though:

And if its not too young (too be perfect) what would you expect from this brand if it will be realised as I hope one year older for every year for many years ahead. One more year over “the edge†or what?

Leif

...Just describing the flavors and aromas doesn't do it justice. Straight, it is very hot, and probably the most teeth-kicking, throat-grabbing whiskey I've ever had. It has the ability to take control of your consciousness.

Of course, that's because I was drinking it neat. I should try it at a lower proof, or even with ice, but I love that barrel-proof kick so much I never get around to it. The only time I don't drink it neat is when I cut it with baby Saz at a 50-50 split for something a little more civilized.

If I'm not mistaken, is that just about the same thing as cutting it with water?

I found it easer drinking than some of the higher proof Staggs. That said, proof for proof rye, most any rye, seems a shade hotter than bourbon.

I have thought of using Handy to kick up the proof and flavor intensity of Saz Jr. to equal that of WT Rare Breed and use it in a Manhattan. I normally use WT RB in most of my Manhattans.

Just describing the flavors and aromas doesn't do it justice. Straight, it is very hot, and probably the most teeth-kicking, throat-grabbing whiskey I've ever had. It has the ability to take control of your consciousness.

You can say that again. I am very greedy about sharing this bottle with myself, but when I do deem myself worthy of a pour, the first taste (or two) is always neat for reasons I couldn't articulate until I read your post. Then I throw a cube in it before my head erupts in flame. Of course when winter rolls around I can see just taking the whole thing neat on a cold day. No blankets necessary THAT night.

I really like it a lot and lament that I didn't buy the two bottles I found (instead of just the one).

I revisited this recently and tried it neat. I then tried it 50-50 with the Saz Jr. I agree that with the 50/50 it is more manageable to the pallet. The proof doesn't take your breath away or have that kick your a$$ feeling so well stated in this thread. BUT, to say that it is the same as cutting it with water doesn't do it justice. The BT house flavor is much more evident and so is the rye spicieness that we all look for.

I may do a "Gillman" and mix the last of the bottle with something from a low rye mashbill. I will be replacing the Handy if it is included in the '07 BTAC, and when I first opened it I was not too sure.

I And if its not too young (too be perfect) what would you expect from this brand if it will be realised as I hope one year older for every year for many years ahead. One more year over “the edge†or what?

Leif

I would be pessimistic, Leif! :grin:

Seriously, I did not mean to imply that it was perfect. Maybe a couple of years more would make it better? I have no idea. All I know is that there is already a 18yo rye for those who prefer extra age. Keep this one young-ish for those of us who like it that way, I say.

That reminds me... I have two bottles deep in my bunker. I need to fish one out and pop it open soon - especially since I just finished a bottle of VWFRR.

I actually have a hard time deciding which is my favorite '06 BTAC bottle - in my biased opinion, each and every one had its own merit - including the ER17 and Saz 18.

The Stagg lasted the longest, but that was mostly because I had also opened a Fall '05 Stagg alongside it and alternated between the two.

I am very greedy about sharing this bottle with myself, but when I do deem myself worthy of a pour, the first taste (or two) is always neat ...

:slappin: Perfect! I love the idea of being "greedy about sharing this bottle with myself." It makes no sense on its own, but that is how I feel too. I have agree it's as if I have to feel, well, worthy. Very few bourbons achieve that status for me, but this is definitely one.

A prime candidate for the Empty Bottle Support Group if there ever was one.

• 2 months later...

I find that the Thomas Handy one of my favorite pours. In a moment of inspiration( late at night) I thought I would mix three togther. Equal parts of Thomas Handy, Saz. jr and the saz. 18 yr. rye. Quite spectacular indeed. The best of all the ryes. Fire , spice , wood it's all good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.