Vintage Rye 21 and 23

shaggy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I walked into the store tonight and saw several bottles of the Vintage 21 and 23 Rye. I couldn't resist. I popped the 21 open and it is really tasty stuff. I think it may be the same thing as the Rittenhouse 21 for quite a bit less $. I have not tried the 23 yet. I will probably open it up tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes....

I opened the Vintage Rye 23 today. It does have a considerable bit more wood than the 21, but doesn't seen quite as hot. The finish on the 23 is not quite as balanced. I think the age takes away some of the traditional rye spice. Both of these are excellent pours, but I think I like the 23 just a tad better. I still think the 21 is the same exact thing as the Rittenhouse and is a bargain at $65.

...I think it may be the same thing as the Rittenhouse 21...

While I don't care to betray any confidences -- explicit or implicit -- I will note that, unless someone in a position to know has misled me, it is not.

Keep in mind that until very recently Heaven Hill distilled rye only about 1 day a year. The Rittenhouse is openly theirs, but I don't think they made enough to sell it very widely to others.

Well, we'll have to think this through. Keep in mind that KBD has a stock of old rye. Recall the 22 y/o Willett's Rye bottled for Doug Philips and company and also LeNell's Red Hook Rye (distiller unknown at this point), although, it too could be Willett's.

Joe :usflag:

I think the best possible solution is that everyone sends me their bottles. I'll drink them and give my opinion on their origin ;) (please bear in mind I don't have a clue about this kind of thing, but I promise to enjoy them all).

Well, we'll have to think this through. Keep in mind that KBD has a stock of old rye. Recall the 22 y/o Willett's Rye bottled for Doug Philips and company and also LeNell's Red Hook Rye (distiller unknown at this point), although, it too could be Willett's.

Joe :usflag:

Neither of those were distilled by a "Willett" entity, IIRC, just bottled by KBD who own the Willett brand and DSP#.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was fortunate enough to sample both the 21 and 23 yesterday. The 23 was the better pour in my opinion. Like shaggy says, the 21 definitely has more heat. The 23 seemed to be richer with more body. The mouthfeel was quite nice. It really opened up with sweet caramel on the nose with a touch of water.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.