My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

dave ziegler

In 1962 publicker Industries bought Dougherty's Distilling corp, Phila at Silent Auction. When they went up in the upper storage area of the Office they found about a case of Doughert's Pre Pro Medical Pure Rye Whiskey BIB. Well I will be 65 on Sept 23 this year and my Friend who ran Marketing had a few of these and gave me a bottle 2 years ago! I Plan on pulling the old Metal strip off and having a couple of shots on my Birthday, Here are pictures of the bottle and the box

1. The Bottle and the Box.

2. The Bottle filled to the top, and nice and clean and ready to drink I think if my memory is right it was Distilled in 1907.

3. The Box which you can read easy and says 14 years old when it was bottled for, as It says on the box the best Pure Straight 100 Proof Rye Whiskey for Healthy Medical drinking!

I am sure I will feel sick on my Birthday and need some Medicine!

4. WA Haller's and Sons Distillery Phila pa

The Last Picture #4. is Of W A Hallers and Sons Distillery I think I posted this before but this is the only known Picture of the Plant which was not far from Publicker. This Picture hung at the 1429 Walnut Street World wide Headquarters of Publicker Industries and was given to me by My Friend in Marketing 2 years ago, I have it Hanging on the wall in my office at work on the left side of my desk.

As a 19 year old fresh out of High school the first Whiskey I ever Had was at Kinsey, it was Straight Rye and it remains my Favorite Spirit! That day it was from a barrel for Rittenhouse BIB Rye at one of the Old out front Kinsey wood and brick warehouses I think warehouse E.

======================================================

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Dave Z ================================================

post-1964-1448981788875_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817888912_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817889098_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817889268_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the photos, Dave. I always love seeing this stuff. Hope all is well with you and that you're enjoying a few cold Ballantines these days.

That is a great item Dave...hopefully it won't be too bad either!

Dust that bottle until it is gleaming!

"14 summers old"...interesting way of portraying the age statement.

I have to think the "Government Man" job was pretty cushy. Were they that busy every day? I know they had to perform some duties but I wonder if it was a pretty boring job. Did it turn over much? Was there any fraternization or did they keep to themselves?

Jono every time any warehouse was opened every day there had to be a goverment man to cut the seal and be there! At Kinsey the ones there stayed there unless they were moved somewhere else by government order. And yes we were friends with them. Glen Smith the head one was a great man and he later ran a small eatery about 3 miles from the plant on rt 724!

We all got along very good and for the most part everyone got along with them. The big problem was the people at the washington level and some of the weird rules. They gave the company way more trouble then was fair!

========================================================

America's Most Mgnificent bourbon

==========================================================

Dave Z

Just got two new pictures of the Philadelphia Plant and going to post them thanks to my friend Butch who worked there for 10 years.

1. This is a Picture of number one boiler house at Bigler street plant in Phila in 1951 before the Walt Whitman bridge was built

2. Looking at the Walt Whitman bridge from the top of the AA Building at phila plant. this is the building the famous Old Hickory Neon was on.

I can still remember the first time I went on Vacation going over the Walt and feeling so proud I worked for Publicker!

====================================================

post-1964-14489817892465_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817892668_thumb.jpg

Tonight I dug up another picture I have of the Phila plant at Bigler street and the Famous Old Hickory sign. This unlike my other picture is out of the frame so I could shoot it without glass glare.

1. The Bigler street plant with the AA Building and the tower the Old Hickory Neon was on.

2. I Posted this picture of my Lamp switch insides for Rod to see its wiring.

3. This is a picture from the front of my Original company Brosure. The warehouse is one of the ones at Kinsey after they were filled. I asked Ludy who the man was and he said Bud Seward.

The switshes used on Rods and my Lamp are explosion proof crouse / Hinds from the late 1930's.

Everyday I try to find something new for the history of the Company. My Friend Butch worked at Publicker in Phila for 10 years he loved working for Publicker also and offten says the training he got there opened the door to many good jobs later.

I am lucky that my first real job was great and my last job now is great. I started good and I am ending good!

America's Most MagnificentBourbon

Dave Z

post-1964-14489817893314_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817893525_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817893731_thumb.jpg

Well I just got some cool parts put together to make a very cool Lamp. Had the old Pilot light and box and found a switch box and mounted a premade pipe for a light in between with a bell light holder. All I need now is a porcelon buld holder and a screw in light cage and find someone to wire this crazy home made from Kinsey parts light. Here are 3 pictures I just put it together and in turning the pipe wacked myself in the head with the Light bell got a heck of a lump on my head!

1. thru 3. Pictures of my new light set up hopefully I can find someone to wire it for Me. The Pipe is from the old Scale House the pilot light from warehouse K and the switch from warehouse #38.

Dave Z

---------------------------------------------------------------------

post-1964-14489817894126_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817894297_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817894453_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817894126_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817894297_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817894453_thumb.jpg

Well I promised Rod I would post pictures of my completed Kinsey Distillery Explosion Proof Lamp so here it is got the Base from Rod today!

Pictures 1 thru 4 . my lamp as soon as I set it up. 5. With my bottles put back in place on its base. 6. Looking in the top of the lamp at the explosion proof bayanet screw in top.

Now I want to say with out Rods help I could have never got this done. He got me the top parts and found someone to make the base. Thanks to my Friend Herb for wiring it and I am just very thankful to have made and completed this awesome Lamp from Kinsey Distillery.

Dave Z

===================================================

It Seems All The Nicest People drink Old Hickory

post-1964-14489817894959_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817895119_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817895275_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817895428_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981789564_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817895805_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817894959_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817895119_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817895275_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817895428_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981789564_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817895805_thumb.jpg

Hey Dave,

The lamp looks great! Glad I could help in getting it done for you. The backdrop with all the bottles is mind boggling. There's so much stuff there.

The small green shade didn't fit my lamp. My last hope is that it may fit one of the small ones we saw in the stairwells. This cage screws onto whatever housing it was meant for. The one I have the cage screws to the housing with 3 screws. Oh well. One more thing to look for!

Rod

Well I promised Rod I would post pictures of my completed Kinsey Distillery Explosion Proof Lamp so here it is got the Base from Rod today!

Pictures 1 thru 4 . my lamp as soon as I set it up. 5. With my bottles put back in place on its base. 6. Looking in the top of the lamp at the explosion proof bayanet screw in top.

Now I want to say with out Rods help I could have never got this done. He got me the top parts and found someone to make the base. Thanks to my Friend Herb for wiring it and I am just very thankful to have made and completed this awesome Lamp from Kinsey Distillery.

Dave Z

===================================================

It Seems All The Nicest People drink Old Hickory

Well I got home and cleaned up the top of the close to 100 year old explosionn proof light from the old grain process building. So here is another shot of the shade and then the whole unit cleaned up.

1. The Shade

2. the whole restored unit, I took it apart and cleaned the procelen bulb holder and reasembled it. I just really love saving these old pieces of Explosion proof stuff and making art Lights out of them. I think on top of my head my lamp is number 42 of created things form Kinsey. These things like my bottles will be donated to distilling museums when I am gone per my will.

So Publicker / Continental Distilling and Kinsey Distilling will live on after I am gone. I have to say here thanks to everyone who wired these things for me, Paul, Herb, Jim and Joe from work. Without them I could have never done this and without Rods help the lamp and future Lamps will be made!

Dave Z

=================================================

post-1964-14489817896998_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817897236_thumb.jpg

Dave, I took a dusty bottle of Old Hickory 10yo to the gazebos in Bardstown and and it was quite a popular pour. Out of the entire 750, there's about a half of a drink left. Everyone had good things to say about it and Bourbon Joe about dove over the table to get a pour. :grin:

It was the trapezoidal bottle with the tall gold colored eagle on the cap. I think I saw an empty of the same bottle in your collection photos.

Good stuff for sure. I'm glad I could get my hands on a piece of history like that. Thanks for giving so much background on the distillery.

Dave, I took a dusty bottle of Old Hickory 10yo to the gazebos in Bardstown and and it was quite a popular pour. Out of the entire 750, there's about a half of a drink left. Everyone had good things to say about it and Bourbon Joe about dove over the table to get a pour. :grin:

It was the trapezoidal bottle with the tall gold colored eagle on the cap. I think I saw an empty of the same bottle in your collection photos.

Good stuff for sure. I'm glad I could get my hands on a piece of history like that. Thanks for giving so much background on the distillery.

The 86 proof 10 year old, Old Hickory is my very Favorite and I hope someday to find another sealed bottle cheap somewhere. That was our biggest seller back in the day. Glad people got to try it, I have never had anyone tell me they did not think it was not a excelent flavorful Bourbon whiskey, it works with full taste in your mouth. Thanks for letting me know it makes me proud that Old Hickory is still well liked even in this day of extra filtered whiskeys, I still prefer the Old School ones!

Dave Z

Well I got home and cleaned up the top of the close to 100 year old explosionn proof light from the old grain process building. So here is another shot of the shade and then the whole unit cleaned up.

1. The Shade

2. the whole restored unit, I took it apart and cleaned the procelen bulb holder and reasembled it. I just really love saving these old pieces of Explosion proof stuff and making art Lights out of them. I think on top of my head my lamp is number 42 of created things form Kinsey. These things like my bottles will be donated to distilling museums when I am gone per my will.

So Publicker / Continental Distilling and Kinsey Distilling will live on after I am gone. I have to say here thanks to everyone who wired these things for me, Paul, Herb, Jim and Joe from work. Without them I could have never done this and without Rods help the lamp and future Lamps will be made!

Dave Z

I guess I need to start getting my lamp together from the parts I have in my storage unit thanks to dave. I also need to start working on my barrel and on creating a thread with pictures I have taken there.

You'll be glad to know I finally started restoration of my barrel! I found an oil preservative that soaks into dried woods that does not change the color of the wood much and leaves no shine or shell on the wood. It's only $25 a gallon and will last years and years. Since it penetrates deep into the wood, it even re-expands the wood a little, which will tighten the barrel back up slightly. Once I've got the barrel fully coated, I am going to get a piece of glass or plexiglass and fit it into the head so it won't be exposed to the weather anymore. This barrel is going to be an excellent display piece! I'll post pictures once it's done!

What is the name of the preservative stuff, I need to get some for my barrel.

Mike I will ask Ethan what he used on his barrel for you. Lets go back to the future the year is 1968 and my 1963 chevy is having lots of problems. My first car when I started there was a 1955 chevy Hardtop stick on the colume 6. Once I started at Kinsey I built a 283 engine with power pack heads and a four barrel carb, and put that in it. Next a Hurst shifter and a Dixco Tach. Next car my 1963 Chevy Bel Air 3 speed on the colume 283.

And then the fastest Car I ever owned my buick Grand Sport.

I went home that weekend in the year 1968 and bought a one year Old 1967 Buick Gran Sport 400 cui with a Hurst shifter 4 speed, the motor had a 3/4 crane race cam and pushed 425 Horse power with air enduction. I made such good money at Kinsey I was able to buy it. I had two sets of Mags the factory ones for the winter on it in this picture and a set of deep dish chrome ones for the summer.

1.When I got my 1955 Chevy I did all kinds of things once I got my job at Kinsey. I put a 1958 chevy steering wheel on it I hot knifed a pair of buick tail lights for it and Had the seats redone. It was black when I bought it and I had it painted Honduras Marune. Sadly the motor ended up with a cracked block.

2. once I worked there 2 years I was able to get a loan and buy the fastest Car I ever had Here is a picture of My 1967 Buick Grand Sport. It had only 10,000 miles on it and I drove it 40,000 miles more.

3. Just found a picture of My Buick with the Summer deep dish Mags.

4.Also I just found a picture of my 1963 chevy the first newer Car I ever bought thanks to Kinsey! Once I got it I put a 4 barrel on it and mags in the front. It had a 3 speed overdrive trans. I took my first real vacation to Atlantic City with the 1963 Chevy and saw the Old Hickory Sign on the AA building for the first time going over the Walt Whitman Bridge. Ps the pictures are not great as all I had for a camera was an old Kodack Browny.

We made wonderful money for those days, I enjoyed my Job and I burned a lot of Rubber.

Just a Fun Note if I ever come into some money while I am still living it is my dream to buy an Old 1962 Chevy 409 4 speed with one 4 barrel to drive for pure fun. A nice red Hardtop would be the ticket. Till the 1970's I was a GM man but after that had alot of dude GMs and went to Fords for good.

Dave Z

It Seems All The nicest People Drink Old Hickory

post-1964-14489817901918_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817902107_thumb.jpg

post-1964-144898179023_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817902509_thumb.jpg

1.Here is a very old Ad for Rittenhouse Rye from Continental Distilling 1930's!

2. Here is a Picture of the old House down by the river from back in the day when I mowed the lawn. Kids of one of the company men family's in a kids pool. Look how nice the house was then. It is one of the oldest houses in Limerick Township the old William Evans home!

3. The Only remaining explosion proof Telephone in complete ruin. I am so glad I got mine before this happend to it.

I keep searching and found this old ad. Rittenhouse Rye Back in the day was the Best Rye you could get in a BIB or 80 Proof. In the 1940's till around Early 1951 alot of it it was made in the Old #10 Kinsey Rye Barn. I am getting ready to go over for a walk to Kinsey very soon and will this time take my Camera again. I will soon be getting my goose neck Lamp made of Kinsey paprts back and will post pictures of it lit!

Dave Z

Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments

post-1964-14489817903178_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817903335_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817903568_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817903178_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817903335_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817903568_thumb.jpg

Over the weekend I was able to find a much nicer cage to fit over the screw in glass housing that goes into the top of my just built Kinsey lamp.

Here is a Picture of the cage by itself and on the housing.

1. The wire cage

2. Mounted on the housing.

Earlier topday I got my other lamp with the bent pipe and Glass jar and metal Cage back wired by a local electrican who's wife workes where I do and He was Kind enough to wire it for me I will post pictures once I get it home and set up.

When we went into the Warehouses, you did not just walk in a Government man had to be there to remove the Government Lock and Lead seal. A lead man had to be there to know which of the switches needed to be turned on and the switch to release the electric locks on the first floor roll door and door in had to be turned off.

Once that was done we could either rack barrels or pull them from the racks and only certain Warehouses had dump trough's. If you were pulling to dump in a non trough warehouse the barrels had to be shipped by lots to a building with a trough by the Old 1941 Ford Flat bed Trucks.

We were busy from start to finish but time went well and we all enjoyed working there and a little Whiskey once in a while too!

Dave Z

=====================================================

post-1964-14489817905374_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981790559_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817905374_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981790559_thumb.jpg

Been working my way through this thread over the past few months on and off, and really enjoying the stories. Saw this on a shelf and brought it home with me.

post-6987-144898179058_thumb.jpg

Been working my way through this thread over the past few months on and off, and really enjoying the stories. Saw this on a shelf and brought it home with me.

Kinsey blended whiskey? Hmm, there was a blended Old Hickory at the place you and I found the Cabin Stills - Dave, do you know how popular their blended stuff was?

We Never made an Old Hickory blended, just straight Bourbon, no such thing, but Kinsey Silver is a very nice Blended Whiskey and It is the only Whiskey we made that was ever on the top of the Times Square building where they drop the ball at New years back in the 1940's.

Kinsey Blended Whiskeys were very popular in New York City and New York State. Where in the world did you find it what a great Find. It should say Linfield Pa on the label as it would have been bottled at the 1966 Bottling house. We proto typed that bottle I have blue prints for it. I have never Had Kinsey Gold but I like the Silver very much it is a very Smooth Blended Whiskey thanks for the posted picture great find, let me know where you found it, must have been in a back room for 30+ years somewhere. Let me know what you thingk of it. Wish I could find another Bottle of it got one about 5 years ago.

Dave Z

Dave, I found this in a small store on Capitol Hill, Actually I hunted there months ago and remember looking at the bottle then (I didn't realize it was Kinsey, I though it was Schenley blend or something, my memory fails me sometimes), but because it was a blend, and I passed. I was bored one day and stopped back in to take a look at it again, It was up on a shelf above a lottery machine tucked in the back. I convinced the proprietor to let me clear the shelf space for him and I picked it up for $10. It does say Linfield, it has a bottle date of 77, the strip is completely broken and it could have been opened, likely not. I think it is something like 35% 8 year bourbon and 65% GNS.

Ben, If there was Old Hickory there I missed it, but I started following this thread shortly after that, so That is a good possibility. We need to go back and double check that.

That is a great find and that is what we did on blended, 35% straight and 65% neutrols. Nowadays it is more like 25% or less straights. Thats a great deal for it. I am very glad for you to get such a piece of History for that price. Here in Pa you can't find anything old. If you saw Old Hickory go back and get it. Does not matter if it is the 80 proof or the ten yr 86 they are both wonderful bourbon whiskey's. Have a shot of the Kinsey for me! Those strips tore very easy, I am thrilled that you can sample a taste of History from the old DSP-Pa. 12 bottle house in Linfield Pa. We never had a bad product, even the cheapest stuff was tasty.

We tried to make sure that the common man could always have a good whiskey! Mr Neuman always had the goal to make sure that everyone could get the Whiskey they wanted for a fair price. And if you are lucky enough to get some Old Hickory be Ready to taste a very wonderful old school Boubon Whiskey!

Dave Z

Well I have started work on one last light to make a lamp from. It is the turn of the Century small green Crouse / Hinds Explosion Proof shade light from the Old 1892 grain process building the only one that was there yet!

Gotten for me by Rod when we did a swap. I am not sure how much pipe I will put on the bottom or what I will use for a base I will get Rods help on Ideas but the wire is going to come out The Fange on the bottom half of the Crouse / Hinds explosion proof switch, that way I can get it wired before it is finished and It will fit in my car trunk! Then I can just screw whatever I want on the bottom. Here are some just putting it together pictures.

1. 4. Here are four shots of what I have so far. I discovered that the Glass lens I thought fit it does not it is to small and falls off so I may never have a sealed bulb but it sure will be neat when it is done. The goose neck Pipe is from Kinsey also.

Dave Z

============================================

post-1964-14489817907051_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817907321_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817907499_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817907655_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817907051_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817907321_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817907499_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489817907655_thumb.jpg

Hey Dave, so there was an Old Hickory blend, but it was sold by Schenley after Kinsey closed. bgageus went by the place we saw it and got the info on the bottle.