My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

dave ziegler

Jono it is very Tasty, different but a very nice Whiskey! I am going to try to just enjoy a shot now and then to make it last! The Label is the original picture we used just different colors around it. I am very pleased that it is a real good quality product.

Not Happy with what work has done this week to us, we can not go on anything that says whisky or Beer. This world is getting nuts So I can only post from Home to here.

Dave Z

==================================================

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Edited by dave ziegler

Congrats on that bottle, Dave. Nice to have something that will remind you of the old days (besides your entire house full of things from the old days). :slappin:

I work in Information Tech, so I recognize what happened to you at work - they implemented a "web filter" to control which sites you can visit. Everyone is doing it. If you can befriend the IT guru who controls that device, in some cases he/she might be persuaded to open up one site for you, such as this one. Worth trying! Whether this will work depends on how large your company is.

Us younger folks get around this at work by using our mobile devices when we can.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Fangzilla as long as I can get some writing in here at home I will keep trying to get some Posts in, the New Old Hickory is Different but a nice product, I am glad they made something good in Honor of Our Old Hickory! And I am so Happy they sent me a bottle it is a nice Whisky

Dave Z

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It Seems All the Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

• 1 month later...

Well I hope in the next couple of weeks to have a nice enough Sunday afternoon to go back to Kinsey and walk around and get some pictures of the fire. It is getting harder going there and remembering what a great place it was to work back in the day. Right now we would be getting ready to fix the Lawns and work on the flower beds when I was in the yard gang! It was 45 years ago and yet I remember it like yesterday! This Sept Ludy will turn 96 and I will be 67. The years sure have passed by. Us Kinsey Workers are disappearing fast.

Dave Z

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

America's Most magnificent Bourbon

• 1 month later...

It was a beautiful day but Butch could not make it so I went with a friend to Kinsey just to walk around. I hope to go with Ethan one of these days as at my age I don't go in the buildings much by myself. I walked around in the Government office in O building and everything is just trashed. As I walked around I thought back to the day before Christmas 1969, and seeing the government men dancing around their Christmas tree, an old fake one which now lays destroyed there now. I looked at the giant Fir tree I used to put mulch on when in the yard gang so many years ago, 48 to be correct. Those days 600 people made their living there and had great pride in their work. Things are so different today where I work now they just love the idea of replacing you to pay less. What is happening to Kinsey is very much happening to our great Country now. I am glad I lived in those years and I will always be proud to Have worked for the greatest Distilling company ever Publicker/Continental Distilling Corp. I have not been able to write for a bit due to being sick and not able to write on my work computer because of new rules. But I hope to write some more of my Memories here soon! To everyone here on this site YOU BE WELL

Dave Z

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Edited by dave ziegler

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mark I hope to go there soon with Ethan, but I hate what has happened due to Vandel's The place has really gone bad the last 5 years. When I walk there I sometimes close my eyes for a minute and think back. Last time I remembered being in the old wood and brick Warehouse D and seeing whiskey in Barrels from the 1950's and being given some Straight Rye from a barrel! There were many barrels in there that would be used for the Old Hickory one time 20 year Bourbon!

Dave Z

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory

Dave, Good to see you back on the forum. I hope you are feeling better. I love history and your memories of a great distillery are so great to read about. I wasn't there but I can also close my eyes and can imagine what it must have been like. Wishes for good health and for continued sharing of your memories.

mbroo5880i Glad you enjoy them, I will never forget the summer of 1970, we were very busy and the old 1941 Ford Flat trucks were roaring from warehouses with no dump troghs to ones that had them to dump lots of whiskey to be bottled. I remember seeing one of the trucks no longer had doors or windows or even a windshield ! Dickie Pheifer had just put a new windshield in and the guy driving it Bob Mc Ginley destroyed it before the day was done. Those old flat head fords just ran and ran. They had brought them up from their forest tract where they got their White Oak for barrels down south, to use in the plant in the mid 1960's. I loved hearing them wind up through the plant. For a young 19 year old it was an amazing thing.

Dave Z

=================================================================

Edited by dave ziegler

• 1 month later...

Well here I am back been having some hard times but now back here writing on all 3 threads. I have to get a new picture resizer as I have some pictures to post soon. Sunday walking around the plant I just had so many memories of the place going through my head. It was sureal to see the place so destroyed. I could in my mind see the Old Flat head 1941 Ford trucks roaring around the plant. I could see Ludy putting Barrels together. As always even on such a hot day cool breezes were coming through the plant like days of Old but no one was there and every thing is ruined and nothing but the sound of the old doors rattling in the breeze.

Life has been very cruel to the Beautiful Distillery in Linfield by the river! I am Glad Mr Neuman can not see it as it is, as he loved the Plant very much and most weeks came up every week to look around. I look and no Heat pipes no trucks no people and no work ever to be done again there as Kinsey and Continental! And to top it off the grafetti people are drawing their horrible pictures everywhere.

Dave Z

======================================================

Join The Swing To Kinsey

In order to keep the Memories of Kinsey alive I gave my friend Paul at work who wired about 39 sets of explosion proof lights for me through the years a complete explosion proof light from the ceiling of the old 1933 Jacob G kinsey Bottle house I saved a couple of years ago. I also gave him an explosion proof switch. He is going to put the light on the ceiling of the room where He put the kinsey stuff I have given him through the years. By sharing the story of Kinsey will go on many years after I am gone!

Dave Z

========================================================

Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments.

Tonight I had dinner with the people who bought the Kinsey Label and are going to distill in Philadelphia! They plan on a Kinsey Rye, a 7 year old Blended straight whisky and a Kinsey Bourbon. I saw their labels on a laptop and their bottles. It is very exciting to see the Kinsey name return in Pa after all these years. They have their building and are doing their stuff with the Pa LCB right now. They want me to be a spokes person for them which is very exciting for me. They will start with buying Whisky till the stuff they distill gets aged. The new Labels are something Jake Kinsey would be proud of. They called me and I just can't say how happy I am to see The Name Kinsey come back to Whiskey!

Dave Z

Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments

Join The Swing To kinsey!

Congratulations Dave, that is great news! I'm really happy that they were smart enough to realize you are the perfect gateway ambassador to help them revive this historic brand.

It sounds like these good folks are making every effort to do this the right way and I look forward to having the opportunity to try one of their products.

Tonight I had dinner with the people who bought the Kinsey Label and are going to distill in Philadelphia! They plan on a Kinsey Rye, a 7 year old Blended straight whisky and a Kinsey Bourbon. I saw their labels on a laptop and their bottles. It is very exciting to see the Kinsey name return in Pa after all these years. They have their building and are doing their stuff with the Pa LCB right now. They want me to be a spokes person for them which is very exciting for me. They will start with buying Whisky till the stuff they distill gets aged. The new Labels are something Jake Kinsey would be proud of. They called me and I just can't say how happy I am to see The Name Kinsey come back to Whiskey!

Dave Z

Join The Swing To kinsey!

Great news, Dave. Very happy for you!

:toast:

Thanks, Dave. It's taken me awhile, and several chunks of reading, but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thread. Best part is: the good news you just posted wasn't yet written when I started reading. Keep us up-to-date.

Harry

• 3 weeks later...

Harry Glad you are enjoying my writing here. Hope to do some more this weekend yet. Can't do it at work any more as they put some setup that won't let anything about Beer or whisky on.

Dave Z

Dave, it is always great reading your posts. I love history and I love your stories. Your threads are among my most favorite on this forum.

I hope you are well and I really look forward to the revival of the Kinsey label.

When it Kinsey Whisky, goes on Market I will let everyone know here! They have to start by buying from a broker till theirs has aged but it will be coming from Phila and the Company Name will be Liberty Distilling Corp! They will be operating at Callowhill and American street. Not far from where the Old Schmidts brewery was. Looking forward to hearing from them very soon. From what they said they will buy from the Broker Smooth Amber Does. The Master Distiller was the man who created Blue Cut Vodka a few years back, which won many awards.

Dave Z

=======================================================

Join The Swing To Kinsey

Edited by dave ziegler

• 4 weeks later...

Went to work today to find out I am retiring even though at 67 on Tuesday I can't afford to. Gave 15 years to this company to find myself being pushed out. Things were not like this when I worked at Kinsey, you did your job and you had no worries! Turning 67 on Tuesday and just found out today that things are changing and they don't need me! The last 3 months they were making my life Hell I figured they were trying to make me quit and there was no way. So now I get severence pay and to say i am retiring and have to wonder how I am going to make it!

Dave Z

=================================================.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here are some new Pictures I just got!

1. A brand from the 1930's I never heard of Captain Kidd.

2. A Post card I just got of the Old Hickory Sign above the Walt Whitman bridge in Phila.

3. Bigler Street Plant chemical Plant 1939

I will have much more coming soon, now that I don't have a job, I just got some amazing stuff, including the metal License plate that has SSN for Si S Neuman that used to be on his Bentley!

Dave Z

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

post-1964-14489821522146_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489821522304_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489821522838_thumb.jpg

Why did Continental have so many different brands? I would think it would be a great expense to have so many different bottles and labels to keep track of. Also, how many of them contained the exact same whiskey as another brand? I know Heaven Hill is famous for that nowadays.

Ethan some did, but others where one of a kind such as Old Hickory and County Fair BIB! I have never been able to get all the brands we had Hundreds. After American Distilling went to Gasahol we bought some of their brands too. I would say at least 80 % of our Whiskeys were different. Govenor's Club and Philadelphia Blended were the same blend! I guess because we were the Largest Distilling Company in the world, they thought we should give our customers as many choices as possible!

Dave Z

============================================================