My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

dave ziegler

I was Lucky to be able this morning to travel into Kinsey Distillery with caretakers to see some of the buildings now that they have been sealed forever sadly, here are 3 Pictures of O building the Government Building.

1. The side dock blocked up

2. Windows in the Government Building office blocked up.

3. A wall put in front of the door to Building O and the Lunch room to seal the entrance!

I have other Pictures I will post on my other threads. It was very sad to see this knowing I can never go in there to save History ever again or walk through the plant to remember. My Picture taking is done but I have many pictures I can put here yet from many years ago. Quick Note The Weird People who paint horrible Painting on the walls have already started painting the Blocks as you can see on the first picture of the dock. Because of all the Rotten people who set the fires in the Plant I can never go there now to talk about the days of Old.

Dave Z

==============================================

It Seems All The nicest People Drink Old Hickory

America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

post-1964-14489822852501_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448982285309_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489822853685_thumb.jpg

Edited by dave ziegler
  • I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well Here is My Inver House Scotch Barrel head from 1969 which years ago Fricky Finished for me. I sent it out and had it made into a History Clock just got it back today. I think it turned out real nice! I was lucky to be able to save things from there for many years sadly that is now gone from my life but they the Vandels can't take away my memories of Kinsey and Publicker!

Dave Z

=========================================================

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink old Hickory

post-1964-14489822915047_thumb.jpg

Nice idea, Dave - the clock. Where'd you hang it? Over the last 23 months I've been a member, I've read this thread from #1 to #1075. (Haven't read this post, yet; I hate how I sound:cool:.) Keep 'em coming.

Harry I always wanted to be a writer and had no way to put it in book form so when I found this site I got to do what I always wanted to do write about the Distillery! I love telling all my Memories of The Kinsey Plant and Publicker.

I well remember seeing the Barrels returning from Scotland filled with wonderful Scotch Whisky. I found this head in a bundle of used Barrel Heads in one of the warehouses! This Barrel Head came from one of our Barrels made at our Barrel plant in the outskirts of Phila then to be filled with Bourbon to age then after it was dumped it was taken apart by one of our Coopers and bundled and shipped by on of our 10 Paco Tanker Lines ships to Scotland where it was used to age Scotch. Aged and shipped back to Phila trucked to Linfield Dumped in one of the Warehouses and then taken apart and most likely forgotten and survived being junked! By the way the reason it is Painted yellow was once it got to Scotland to be put back together and be filled they painted over the top with yellow to hide the Black ink Lettering and Paint the Scotch Whiskey Lettering with date of Fill and serial and Lot Number!

Dave Z

========================================================

Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments

Edited by dave ziegler

Well the good News is Kinsey bourbon is now sitting on the shelves at the PA-Wine and Spirits stores I have had several Bottles given me by My Friends at Millstone Spirits and it is a delightful Bourbon. For those who are interested You can call and get a tour and pick up some Whiskys right at the Distillery! They also have Signed Cask Strength bottles at 115 Proof for sale in 375 ML Bottles. I had some of each one and they are awesome. If you Call tell them I said you should. You will enjoy the tour and the tasting room and many Fine Whiskeys and they also Have a Millstone Line of Vodkas. While you are there ask them to show you the Continental Rye Whiskey Barrel I helped them to get before the Kinsey Plant was sealed for ever, with Police locking up those dumb enough to go there.

Dave Z

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join the Swing To Kinsey

• 2 weeks later...

My First real job was at Kinsey Distillery and then many years later I also worked for A&P which is now also gone after 165 Years. When I worked at Kinsey we bottled Scotch, Bourbon Gin and Blended Whiskeys for the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company to sell at the stores they had in states where you could sell Whiskey in a grocery store. All the Whiskeys were bottled under the A&P Red Crown Whiskey Label. Also an update on the Plant in the last two weeks the Police arrested over 50 people who went in there, and more then half were from Philadelphia!

1. Here is a Picture of the Label of one of my A&P Whiskey Bottles Red Crown Blended Scotch. I have ones for Blended Whiskey, Bourbon Whiskey and other Red Crown Bottles!

Dave Z

=============================================

post-1964-14489822971451_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a Picture of The Old Time Clock from the Kinsey state of art 1966 bottling House it is now where it should be With CL who's Grand Father Mr Bryant ran the Bottling house for most of the time it operated! It is now with CL as I sent it to Him by way of His Uncle who still lives around here! I am glad I was able to give it to Him in honor of MR Bryant this past summer I had it for many years and here is a Picture He posted of it after He got it!

Dave Z

==========================================.

Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments

post-1964-14489822986222_thumb.jpg

Well today is a great day for me as I after 14 months I now have a part time job 4 days a week 5 hours a day shutlieing people back and forth from a local car dealer 3 miles from my house! Day time shift. Tonight an old friend and her husband bought me dinner in honor of getting my job. He worked at Kinsey in the bottling house many years ago as a young man and I had a great time talking about Kinsey! I am also going to give him my spare Kinsey Whiskey Barrel as a gift as He will completely restore it like I did with mine. I will never be getting any more so I am glad I got this one! They are still aresting people going in Kinsey every day. I sure miss going in there and hope some time to go in with my friends who are caretakers for  it!

Dave Z 

===============================================================================================

• I like it 2

On Monday, November 30, 2015 9:28:34, dave ziegler said:

Here is a Picture of The Old Time Clock from the Kinsey state of art 1966 bottling House it is now where it should be With CL who's Grand Father Mr Bryant ran the Bottling house for most of the time it operated! It is now with CL as I sent it to Him by way of His Uncle who still lives around here! I am glad I was able to give it to Him in honor of MR Bryant this past summer I had it for many years and here is a Picture He posted of it after He got it!

Dave Z

==========================================.

Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments

post-1964-14489822986222_thumb.jpg

cool, but I have to admit my first thought was "did he just build a clock bomb like that kid in texas?!"  you're not moving to Qatar are you?  ;)

Edited by mark fleetwood
add emoticon

That is the weirdest thing anyone has ever posted on my Thread I am talking about History not people who are nuts. Why would you write something like this on Here?

Dave Ziegler

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory 

• 1 month later...

Well Here we are in 2016 and I can never walk around Kinsey anymore thanks to all the people who set fires and smashed things. The Police are there about every day and they would arrest me just like anyone else they catch there! But I do have good news early in April Millstone Distilling is going to bring back Linfield Whiskey named after the town where Kinsey Distillery is. I spoke to my friends there about a week ago and they  are going to launch A fine Straight Rye Mr Kinsey made back in the day with the Linfield Whiskey name,with a Label that is made to resemble the Label on my old Original Linfield Straight Bourbon Bottle which they took pictures of when they consulted me about 4 years ago. So now there will be Kinsey Rye, 7 year, Bourbon and Linfield Straight Rye Whiskey!

Dave Z

=====================================================================

That's great news Dave!  I look forward to seeing this develop, and really look forward to your updates.  Thank you! 

• 4 weeks later...

I am still waiting to see the Linfield straight Rye Whiskey Hit the state stores in April, they Promised me a bottle  me a bottle as soon as they have some bottled! It is very exciting seeing Kinsey Whiskey, Linfield Whiskey and Old Hickory in Tenn being brought back to Life. A few years back when I found out about the new Old Hickory and talked to them and believe it or not they knew all about my writings about Publicker!  I feel really good if any of my writing here has helped to bring these old brands I loved back.. As soon as I fing out that The Linfield whiskey hits the market I will write here. Have any of you tried the Kinsey 7 year, Rye or Bourbon Yet?

Dave Z

=================================================

It Seems All The nicest people Drink Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

• 3 weeks later...

The Last I heard about the Linfield Straight  Rye Brand  Label The State was not going to let them sell it at the state stores only  at the Distillery and charlie Andrews was going to Harrisburg  to find out why and ask them to let the brand go out. All the Brands from everywhere and they won't Let the Historic Linfield brand be sold. This state is very weird. When I can talk to Charlie I will let you know what is happening! It was Named for the Very Place That Jacob G Kinsey Founded his Distillery!

Dave Z

====================================================

• 2 months later...

Talked to the people at Millstone Spirits last week and the Linfield  Straight Rye will be available from the Distillery and Bars that purchase it for their place of business from the Distillery. The Liquor Store will not let it be sold there as of right now! What a joke The PCLB is! I can hardly wait to taste the straight Rye

Dave Z

==================================

Edited by dave ziegler

• 4 weeks later...

Well Here it is something I have been waiting for and we sipped it right across from the old Kinsey Plant!.  Sadly I have discovered that I have no idea how to put my Pictures of it on here. I do not belong to any Picture sharing place so if somebody can tell me how post my pictures the way I always did before this new set up please do or I will never be able to post anything on here in Pictures. I remember now it was because of this I have not been putting any Pictures here lately. The new product is Linfield Rye Whiskey Made by My Friends at New Liberty Distilling in Phila it is smooth and delightful and will be sold straight from the Distillery on line or if you visit the Distillery. The Pa state store system would not let them put it in stores here in Pa I think it will be available in other states they sell in. Bars that want to buy it will be able to purchase it from New Liberty.

Dave Z

============================================

• 2 months later...

Well here it is nearing the end of 2016 and I have not been able to walk at Kinsey now for a year except when I helped People get the last of the old Continental Whiskey Barrels. I wish I could find out how to put pictures on here from Kinsey but if it requires  joining one of those sites Like Flicker or the others forget it. First I am not putting my pictures out on something like that for people to say they took them secondly I have no clue how to use those things. i sure miss posting pictures, so I will write and that is about it do to  the way this is set up now!  New Liberty / Millstone Spirits is doing well with their Kinsey Whiskeys , Kinsey Bourbon,Kinsey seven year  and Kinsey Rye. And if you get down to the Distillery you can buy their Wonderful Straight Rye Whiskey under the Name Linfield Rye Whiskey they Gave me a bottle early this Summer and it is awesome!

Dave Z

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 4 months later...

Tonight I have very Sad news My Old Friend Ludy who worked at Kinsey from 1933 till 1980 Died at the age of 97 a week ago. I just found out tonight. Ludy was an amazing Cooper at Kinsey and one of my Very Best friends there. There are only a few of us left yet.

Dave Z

It seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

52 minutes ago, dave ziegler said:

Tonight I have very Sad news My Old Friend Ludy who worked at Kinsey from 1933 till 1980 Died at the age of 97 a week ago. I just found out tonight. Ludy was an amazing Cooper at Kinsey and one of my Very Best friends there. There are only a few of us left yet.

Dave Z

I am very sad to hear this news, Dave.  Anyone who has followed your wonderful contributions here over the years, knows what a great friendship you had with Ludy.  May he rest in peace.  And, I hope you have comfort in knowing that your friends from all over the world here on SB are thinking of him and you,   because of your devotion to bringing the story of Kinsey to us...

Thank you sir, and I hope this new year brings you all the best.

A sad update indeed.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you Dave, along with best wishes for a healthy and prosperous new year. 

• 1 month later...

Dave Z

Well I really enjoyed the Linfield Rye Whiskey my Friends from New Liberty/Millstone Spirits gave me it is a really Nice Rye Whiskey if you can find it try it. Also if you live in MD they have new product sold there . They Gave me a bottle and it is awesome. They bought the rights to Maryland Club Bourbon and are bottling it from their newly aged Whiskeys. 

Look for it on their Web Sight

www.Millstonespirits.com

It is smooth and very flavorful if you can find I really Liked it very much!

Dave Z

=====================================================

It  Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory