My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

dave ziegler

May Ludy find the reward in the great beyond deserved by all who love, and especially who helped make, the beverage we cherish.   Condolences to you, Dave, and all who are mourning him.

• 3 months later...

Well friends here I am writing again about Kinsey, The new Kinsey Whiskeys are doing well and something new is going to Happen with them soon. I can not say anything now as Have to wait till my Friends tell me I can! But they are carrying on the Kinsey name in a proud way. They have been very good to me and I am proud to tell People to try Kinsey and Linfield Straight Rye! Hard to believe I have been writing here for 11 Years Plus, time flies when you are Having fun. And in 2006 I was Just 58 years Old now in Sept I will be 70 and I am on the Look out for some kind of Vintage Continental Whisky to drink on my Birthday Sept 23! Or Pre Pro! I have so much enjoyed writing here to everyone and hearing your Comments. I also am still looking for a Part time Job so I have some Money to live on. Here is a Picture of the Plant from back in the day on my old posts. Kinsey in 1948 I was 1 year old then when the explosion  proof warehouses had just been finished. I loved   the plant Then and I will always love the Plant, no one can take my Memories from me, and they were great days for a Kid of 19 years old when I started there in 1966. I have tried my Best to let everyone here know what it was like to work there and how proud I was to work there. It is my Hope you Have enjoyed my Writings. And I will continue to write what is happening there.

Dave Z

=================================================

Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky

For Unhurried Times

post-1964-14489822534504_thumb.jpg

Edited by dave ziegler

• 1 month later...

Well as Sept rolls around it  will be 51 years ago I started my Job at Kinsey Distillery in Sept after working the summer after finishing school doing construction. This Sept 23 I will be 70 years old and hoping to find something to drink that is good to celebrate. And remembering how great a place Kinsey was to work at. 

It Seems All The Nicest People

Drink Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments

Dave Z

• 1 month later...

On weds I went to visit the Kinsey Distillery to see my Friends there before today the 23rd which is my 70th birthday. They have changed their Labels I have yet to figure out how to post any pictures here with the new system. But they have now recreated the Original style labels with a two piece front 

label like the old days with raised letters. Also the second  strip label Says Produced in strict accordance with formula and method developed under my personal supervision for half a century J g Kinsey

Back Label says when folks think Whiskey They think Tennessee or Kentucky, But the story of American Whiskey Started  in Pennsylvania where Kinsey was born in the 19th century.

Kinsey is a homage to our original Distillery along the Schuylkill river which once held the worlds Largest collection of Aging whiskey.

A time when Pennsylvania  was  synonymous  with Good Whiskey. 

A time when Kinsey Was King 

They have taken their  7 year American Whiskey and recreated it as an amazing tasting 10 year straight Whiskey. They gave me a bottle for my Birthday  I just love it. If you can get the Kinsey 10 year American Whiskey try it, you will like it. They also did some changes to the Linfield Rye to improve it. The New Kinsey Distillery is doing really good now. Also they have gone back to the old school style of Round Heavy bottles with stoppers. Look their web sight up under New Liberty Distilling or Millstone Spirits. They may have me give a talk about Kinsey sometime in the future.

Dave Z

===================================

Join The Swing To Kinsey

• 1 month later...

Hello to my Friends here on Straight Bourbon. If you have a chance you need to try the New Kinsey 10 year American Whiskey its wonderful, smooth, Flavorful and 86 Proof I love it got a bottle a couple of months ago when I went down to visit again and take a friend for a tour. They Changed the 7 year to a 10 year Old and wow, it is very good. If you live in Florida also in either North or South Carolina forget which. Get your self a bottle to try for the Holidays. You will love the New Labels made to look like the Kinsey Originals with raised letters and Mr Kinsey's state meant  that he supervises all production also it has an old School Fake Tax Strip and they are now round bottles. Give it a try and let me Know how you like it. I turned 70 in Sept and I am one of the last of the old Kinsey workers still living. The New Kinsey Distillery treats me  so good I have a great friendship with them. Just Called the Distillery and Kinsey is not avaliable in SC or NC, But all brands are now available in MD,NJ,DC, and DEL soon. Kinsey Bourbon is now available in Ohio and Mich.

=================================

Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments.

Join The Swing To Kinsey

==============================

Dave Z

DSCN9038.jpg

DSCN9040.jpg

DSCN9039.jpg

19243254_1508789999143898_7388138930998001523_o.jpg

Edited by dave ziegler

• 3 months later...

Hi Dave Ziegler,

I hope this finds you well.

I've been trying to get in touch with you regarding the Kinsey Distillery. My wife Laura is the Great-grand daughter of Jake Jacob G Kinsey. Her mother Virginia was the daughter of Jake's son Newt. We took Virginia there in about 2006 and she remembered the Yellow house where Jake lived. They lived in one of the houses next to the entrance. We've been trying to find some photos of Jake and the family. Could you give us some leads? Laura would like to meet you and hear what you know if possible. You can E-mail me at gbolesta@hotmail.com or call 2152721050 and leave a message. I will get back to you.

thanks,

Gary Bolesta

IMG_1726.JPG

Greetings to You Gary I hope to talk to you soon. I have been sick and not on here much Left you a Phone message!

Dave Z

Hi Dave,   2/18/18

Hope you are feeling better. I did not get a phone call from you and thought I'd give you my number again. (215) 272-1050     Hope to talk to you soon.

Thanks,

Gary Bolesta

• 1 month later...

Gary will try to call you today doing allot better. I knew Jakes great Nephew All Landis. Here for everyone else are some more pitures

1. The Complete Piece from the Kinsey DSP-Pa #10 Pot Stool stair Case that was in the barn.

2. The Old Kinsey Grain Process Building build Late 1800's after Kinsey bought the land for the plant

3. Grain Drying Building.

4. Award Picture For Lord Sandwich Gin from the Old Publicker Headquarters in Phila.

5. Old Match Pack with Kinsey slogan.

Dave Z

-------------------------------------------------

DSCN9502.JPG

post-1964-1448981849394_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814777698.jpg

post-1964-14489818170936_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489820293909_thumb.jpg

Edited by dave ziegler
  • I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Dave. I have just begun to go through your thread, thanks for your first hand insight. I am really enjoying the history of the Distillery and your career. I just happen to pick up this Old Hickory bottle this past weekend which happens to be a bank or atleast someone converted it to one by placing a slotted cap on it. Do you know if this was done at the Distillery as a gift shop item? It appears to have genuine labels and embossing and looks to be half gallon size.

Thx

pic1oh.jpg

pic2oh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Billy Reds they when new had they whiskey in them and the bank top came with them If I remember right. I have a couple of them, from different brands! Glad you are enjoying my stuff, I love to write about the company. I have a Philadelphia Blended and an old Hickory one! Keep in touch.

Dave Z 

==========================

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

America's Most Magnificent Bourbon.

Edited by dave ziegler

• 2 months later...

Well Here are some Pictures from the Old SD Card I found of Lost Pictures that were on my  Computer. Please check out the Pictures I have Posted on my 2 Other threads. I had been sick from Sept 2017 through Mar 2018. Doing well now and I turned 70 years old on Sept 23rd of 2017.

1. Warehouse H built in 1936.

2. Inside the Old Grain Process Building. Built in the very Late 1800's

3.Grain Process Building.

4. Grain Process Building

5. Grain Process. 

6. Grain Process

7. A Hawk sitting on Top of the Grain Process Building cupola.

052.JPG

039.JPG

036.JPG

041.JPG

044.JPG

046.JPG

064.JPG

• I like it 1

Glad to hear you’re doing better, Dave.  The birds in picture 7 look more like vultures, rather than hawks.  Considering the ignominious demise of this once great distillery, it is sadly apropos.  ☹️

• I like it 3

• 3 months later...

The Latest News is Bad for Kinsey  as the Man who owed it Son is now finding out how Much it would cost to completely Demolish it. I hope my Friends who can go in there will take me in Soon, as I am still sick from Having the Shingles 3 Times from the beginning of Sept till start of Oct. The Medicine I took for it Paralyed my Left leg for 10 hours after my Last dose. Thank God I slowly getting better Walking and everything. All This on My 71st  birthday Before and after. Here are two Old Pictures Of Kinsey And an old Warehouse sign I have. Will also be Posting Pictures from back in the day on My other two threads soon. Have not been in there for about 2 years.

Dave Z

America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

================================

11884971_914401095292875_1124773328511383807_o.jpg

18591_884626268270358_990136968829688032_n.jpg

055.JPG

Edited by dave ziegler

I thought the buildings were all sealed with concrete block? Would be interesting to see what it's like now that its been a few years.

• 1 month later...

Well it looks like I am back on and very Thankful, and Hello to all my friends here. My Computer died and I could not get on with my New Computer but thanks fully I was able to get here this Morning. And I will be posting again soon. Thank you Straight Bourbon for getting me back on here, to talk about the Place I love Kinsey Distillery.

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Americas Most Magnificent Bourbon

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, dave ziegler said:

Well it looks like I am back on and very Thankful, and Hello to all my friends here. My Computer died and I could not get on with my New Computer but thanks fully I was able to get here this Morning. And I will be posting again soon. Thank you Straight Bourbon for getting me back on here, to talk about the Place I love Kinsey Distillery.

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Americas Most Magnificent Bourbon

Glad to see you're back among "computer-living", Dave! :) 

I know how frustrating it is when the damned things take a dump.     I fervently dislike these machines upon which I'm unable "raise the hood" and tinker around 'til I find a problem I can fix.

I look forward to your always interesting and informative posts. 

Welcome Back!

• 2 months later...

I am going to post some Pictures today I do not think I have ever Posted as I found these recently. These are Pictures of Si S. Neuman's  Home on the main line he named Inver House after the brand of new Scotch he Launched. When it was built it was called Laurento He bought redid it and called it Inver House. It was down in the main line outside of the city. These are the only Known Pictures of it taken right when he bought so they say Laurento. After a Long cross country trip in his Bentley or a hard long day at the office or plants this is where he would go to get away from the Pressure . And My friend who was high up with Publicker said he worked long days 12 hours or more sometimes to Keep the Company growing. When he took over from his Fatherinlaw Harry Publicker in 1932  he took the company from 13 employees to 5000 world wide. He was an amazing Man and as Long as I worked there I always knew I had a job when he drove up to Kinsey at least once a Month to look around and walk around.

Dave Z

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

America's Most Magnificent Bourbon.

============================

Laurento6.JPG

Laurento1.JPG

Laurento32.JPG

Laurento9.JPG

Laurento13.JPG

Laurento4.JPG

Laurento31.JPG

Edited by dave ziegler
  • I like it 2

• 4 months later...

My dad was the plant manager in Linfield bottling plant and warehouse complex.  He was also and blender.

I worked on both the bottling line and warehouse with the guys emptying the barrels in a pit - blended by years and types by my dad Murray Rush

I bottled on the line Inver House, Dixie Bell Gin, Old Hickory, Pinch to name a few.

Booze came from around the world to be bottled in the 60's (Bacardi, Canadian etc)

Big capacity