Sazerac

broray
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm watching and old black and white movie titled "Gold is Where You Find It", and the time setting is during the gold rush days. The main character walks into a San Francisco bar and you guessed it there was an advertisement of Sazerac! The movie was produced in the late 30's.

The Man from Missouri

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cocktails.miningco.com/library/weekly/aa040898.htm>Click here</A> for an interesting history of the Sazerac cocktail.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Excellant link Chuck! I had already been to the link on the history of, but did not know about the others. This is why this forum is so good. It is people like you that help to make this site what it is. I ordered a bottle from Lipmans link to Randalls. I had been searching for a place to buy a bottle in or near MO. My brother helped me to find it through Lipman's link. Thanks again to you, Lipman, and a wonderful young brother who takes his bourbon very seriously.

The Man from Missouri

as a side note, one of the more interesting cocktails I've had (in New Orleans) was a Sazerac, in the Sazerac bar, minus the absynthe that is.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what I have learned! The original Sazerac was supplied with a rye whiskey from Kentucky. This particular distillery is now known as Buffalo Trace. The Sazerac company has owned the Buffalo Trace Distillery for about a decade. Said distillery is now supplying the 18 year old Rye Whiskey that is being used in the premium version of the Sazerac Cocktail. Said whiskey was just announced as Whiskey of The Year by The Malt Advocate. Just thought I would let you know.

Ken

Ken wrote: "The original Sazerac was supplied with a rye whiskey from Kentucky. This particular distillery is now known as Buffalo Trace."

Are you saying there are records indicating that OFC, or whatever Buffalo Trace was called at the time, was supplying the Sazerac Coffee House/Sazerac House with rye whiskey in the 1870s, when the recipe changed from a brandy base to a rye whiskey base?

And Ken wrote: "Said whiskey was just announced as Whiskey of The Year by The Malt Advocate."

That's great. Huge congratulations.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, my brother found a 70's bottle of Sazerac cocktail. I cannot say I really liked it but it was a unique experience. I had a cold at the time and after consuming 3/4ths of the bottle I have to say I felt pretty good. I think I still prefer the Sazerac straight with water on the side. What do you all think?

The Man from Missouri

Although straight whiskey will stay good forever in the bottle, pre-mixed cocktails and other low proof spirits-based beverages don't hold up as well. You actually should be cautious about drinking anything under 80 proof that has been sitting around for more than a few years.

I (finally...) received a bottle today and 'sampled' it (straight) a couple of minutes ago. Maybe my expectations were too high but the most noticable thing about this whiskey was its perfumy, powdery smell (one might also call it 'floral'...). On the other hand it's quite remarkable that its body is still 'ryish' while these perfumy notes are only present at the end.

On the other hand I don't give too much on the first impression - my taste buds fooled me more than once. Expect my final judgement in a week or so. wink.gif

Ekki

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Ekki whenever I detect anything perfumey or flowery I put the snifter under my wife's nose. I don't tell her anything. I just wait. She will either identify a flower or say that there aren't any. She's always right and is my secret weapon in the nosing dept. of the Spencer household.

As far as the Sazerac rye goes - it is the best rye that I have tasted to date.

Please note that I have yet to taste the Van Winkle rye. I asked Julian to provide me with a bottle of everything he sells just so moments such as these would not occur. He seemed not to be listening.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Ekki,

We got our first taste of Sazerac during the special StraightBourbon tasting event at Buffalo Trace this past September. We didn't take notes as we were so very busy tasting bourbon after bourbon. smile.gif

The availability of the Sazerac rye is very limited. I think that there were only 300 cases bottled for total planetary consumption. It all depends on the number of barrels that meet the selection qualification standards. So you just never know how many bottles will ultimately be for sale.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.