Eggnog

JeffRenner
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have never used anything but a wheater in egg nog.

Very Special Old Fitzgerald and Maker's Mark are the only I have tried.

I think this year I will try some of the 8 year old Wild Turkey 101 I got at Duty Free.

Maybe I should give VSOF or MM a shot. I don't have either right now, but could pick one of the two up. Weller 107 is a bit too caramel apple flavored, and Weller SR isn't something I keep around. I haven't tried a S-W wheater. VSOF and MM are inexpensive enough to take the risk, I think.

Something you should remember as a rule of thumb when mixing bourbon with eggnog or anything else for that matter. The better the bourbon the better the drink. Period. I thought you guys would have figured that out by now!

Egg nog is from a very early Northern European tradition that predates the common availability of distilled spirits and was originally made with ale. I've not come across a tradition of using scotch whiskey in egg nog. In the UK, like the Netherlands, it's usually brandy, maybe rum. Brandy and rum figure in a lot of recipes here too, with some calling for both, but lots of people make it with bourbon and several bourbon-makers sell pre-mixes at this time of year.

The fall holidays are when many Americans reach back into the heritages they came from to pluck out a food, drink or other tradition. I wouldn't say people here exclusively drink it during the holidays, but certainly most of it is consumed during the winter. Can you imagine drinking egg nog in July?

Southern Comfort is a good alcohol for egg nog.

Well Chuck i can because we do.Eggnog is used troughout the year,being used in desserts,cakes,chocolate filling, cocktails or straight.Here it is not a seasonal drink but the consistancy of our eggnog is thicker and indeed brandy is used or sometimes rum but never whiskies or gin.It is an easy to make drink and in Holland there are a lot of varieties in taste or structure but vanilla is one of the main ingredients always used.I didn`t know the origin was European always thought that it came from the Caribbean where colonists made a drink using avocado as ingredient and as they went back to Europe they try to make this drink with the ingredients that were locally available.Avocado explains the Dutch name for Advocaat in that way.

Eric.

I am looking forward to trying out this recipe and have gathered up the necessary ingredients. A couple of quick questions.

About how much will this make and how long would you advise to keep it after it's made(refrigerated)? I am the only nog drinker in the house so it may have to keep for a day or two.

Thanks

For 50 years, my boss's father gave thie recipe out to his customers:

32 oz. generic non-alcoholic egg nog (i.e. Safeway brand)

6 oz. Bourbon

2 oz. Brandy

I would guess that this yields 10 servings.

Not fancy, but sure sounds good to me.

Here is the official Jim Beam egg nog recipe. I'm not sure what the straining step is for, unless it is to catch any egg bits that may have cooked. I just now happened upon this and have never made it, so it is provided without endorsement.

You'll need

• 3/4 cup Jim Beam® Bourbon

• 6 large egg yolks

• 3/4 cup sugar

• 2 1/2 cups milk

• 1 teaspoon vanilla

• 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a medium saucepan. Slowly beat in 2 cups of milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until your thermometer registers 150 degrees, or until the mixture coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from heat and strain into a container. Stir in the remaining milk, Jim Beam® Bourbon, vanilla and nutmeg.

Cover and chill overnight, or at least eight hours. Sprinkle with more nutmeg if desired. Makes 6-8 servings.

Yes, the straining is to get out any bits of egg that manage to curdle and the little support pieces that hold the yolk in the middle of the egg (I forget the name). It's not necessary, but it's a nice little touch when making any custard.

A better technique would be to scald the dairy separately while beating together the egg yolks and sugar to the ribbon stage, then mix the two, being careful to temper the eggs with small amounts of hot dairy first. There should be enough heat in the dairy to get the whole thing up to the target temperature. If not the whole thing can be heated slowly over a double boiler.

Maybe I should give VSOF or MM a shot. I don't have either right now, but could pick one of the two up. Weller 107 is a bit too caramel apple flavored, and Weller SR isn't something I keep around. I haven't tried a S-W wheater. VSOF and MM are inexpensive enough to take the risk, I think.

This weekend I had Eagle Rare SB/egg nog with cinnamon sprinkled on top. I can report that it was exception.

Greg

I picked up a bottle of Evan Williams Egg nog at CVS last night. Really excellent flavor. 15% alcohol and only $7 a bottle....

Now I don't have to make my own.....

Thanks for that, Sloop. I would enjoy hearing opinions of the various alcohol-in egg nogs from the different bourbon brands, although I'm not quite sure who else makes one.

I've noticed every year that the Evan Williams egg nog does a big holiday business at my neighborhood Jewel-Osco (a local supermarket/drugstore chain in Chicagoland), as does Christian Brothers Egg Nog. (Christian Brothers brandy is also a Heaven Hill product.)

I thought that the EW egg nog was really good also. I thought that at such a low price even if it had been awful it would be worth a try. I was quite surprised that it was that good. I had to drink it all to keep it away from the kids.

Well, I made my nog last Sun night and it was excellent!! I used the recipe more toward the beginning of the thread with 6 eggs seperated 1/2 cup sugar in the yolks 1/4 cup in the whites etc... We used 3 oz of Appleton estates v/x rum and 3 oz of MM. I didn't want to use anything more expensive in case it didn't turn out well. Such was not the case. The whites were beaten to within an inch of their lives and they gave it a lightness you don't find in store brands. It made enough for myself and 2 others to have 2 good sized mugs each. Oh, don't forget to buy nutmeg. I knew I had most everything so I shopped from memory and forgot it. We used cinnamon which worked out ok. There was a faint flavor of alcohol to the nog, but it wasn't really discernible. So if you like more specific bourbon flavor I would add a bit more and subtract from the rum. I plan to make more over the holidays and impress the in-laws! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Thanks for that, Sloop. I would enjoy hearing opinions of the various alcohol-in egg nogs from the different bourbon brands, although I'm not quite sure who else makes one.

I've noticed every year that the Evan Williams egg nog does a big holiday business at my neighborhood Jewel-Osco (a local supermarket/drugstore chain in Chicagoland), as does Christian Brothers Egg Nog. (Christian Brothers brandy is also a Heaven Hill product.)

The Evan Williams is pretty good. Better than the Christian Brothers, I think.

Though not as good as home made or decent fresh dairy with bourbon/rum/brandy added.

Craig

That's very interesting because I suspect the egg nog base is the same (both made by Heaven Hill) with the only difference being the spirit. Clearly, you prefer good bourbon to low grade brandy.

That's very interesting because I suspect the egg nog base is the same (both made by Heaven Hill) with the only difference being the spirit. Clearly, you prefer good bourbon to low grade brandy.

It's been a year since I had both. But there was no confusing them - they were very distinct.

I probably prefer good bourbon to mid or high grade brandy.

Craig

Jeff,

Thanks for posting your recipe for us all to enjoy. Made a half batch tonight (Gosling's 151 rum and OGD BIB) and it's great! (A bit stiff with that high proof liquor, though ;) My wife and I each had a glass as we trimmed the tree, and we're working through the rest as we watch a film.

We're definitely making more on Christmas.

Take care,

-Matt

For 50 years, my boss's father gave thie recipe out to his customers:

32 oz. generic non-alcoholic egg nog (i.e. Safeway brand)

6 oz. Bourbon

2 oz. Brandy

I would guess that this yields 10 servings.

Not fancy, but sure sounds good to me.

Being lazy and worried about salmonella this is pretty much what I'm going to do! I hope it's good, it sounds good! Thanks. I bought E&J VSOP but I'm not sure what kind of bourbon I will use yet, perhaps the W.L. Weller Special Reserve I just got.

Well, Jeff my family thanks you for you Dad's recipe. I used OF Signature and spiced rum and it was a hit. Makin a double batch for New Years to be shared with friends and neighbors. This time with ER 10yr 1B. The tradition continues.

• 11 months later...

Ho! Ho! Ho!

It's back!!!

Calder Egg Nog is back on the streets.

I picked up a plastic quart for $5.99,

they also had this years edition of the glass quart for $9.49.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.