Eggnog

JeffRenner
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ho! Ho! Ho!

they also had this years edition of the glass quart for $9.49.

That's the one that's in our fridge. I didn't see a cheaper one. And there's no deposit on the glass one either...

Craig

The Four Roses recipe seems to be awfully strong (one pint of FR, plus an amount of Myers's Rum...or at least that's what was called for decades ago).

Self-proclaimed Cocktail King Dale DeGroff says that his great-uncle Angelo was the person whose recipe won a Four Roses contest; the original "Uncle Angelo's Eggnog", however, calls for 6 oz of bourbon (1 oz per eggnog serving, a perfectly reasonable amount) and 3 oz of dark rum; the other ingredients are the same proportions. Obviously Frankfort Distillers needed to move some whiskey, and FR came in pint bottles. :D

It does my heart good to see this thread renewed.

Well, actually, it probably doesn't do my heart any good, at least the coronary arteries, to drink egg nog. But I thank you all in memory of my father, whose recipe, a descendant of the original Four Roses one, started this thread.

Cheers to all for the holidays!

Jeff

The NPR show Science Friday has a video on the safety of using raw eggs in spiked eggnog. Fun video, although the results were inconclusive.

Jeff

• 11 months later...

YES!!

It's back!

Calder Eggnog has made it's welcomed appearance early this year.

I picked some up at Bush's in Saline and having some mixed with WLWeller Centennial right now, as they say, sweets for the sweet.:rolleyes:

Ah... Eggnog. I have tried numerous recipes, the best of which are all pretty similiar..... eggs , sugar, cream, booze. The major variant seems to be the % of booze which runs from 10% to as high as 55% in some recipes I have tried.

IMO what makes a major difference in flavor is aging. I typically age mine for 6 - 8 weeks.... drinking it through the holiday season from Thanksgiving through New Years. When first made the flavors are easy to identify... eggs, cream, sugar, booze. As the brew ages the flavors meld, the consistency thickens and the mouth feel becomes very silky.

I use at least 20-25% alcohol and store the eggnog in the fridge below 40F. I would not recommend aging an alcohol free eggnog.

I was tempted to pick up some eggnog today, but I passed. I am craving it, so I will probably get some very soon. I'll most likely go for the non-alcoholic vesion and add some liquor (bourbon, of course) to make it my own.

I am in heaven! Just cracked open the Evan Williams eggnog. It beats the pants off the Pennsylvania Dutch eggnog.

Thank you, Bettye Jo and friends!

Ah... Eggnog. I have tried numerous recipes, the best of which are all pretty similiar..... eggs , sugar, cream, booze. The major variant seems to be the % of booze which runs from 10% to as high as 55% in some recipes I have tried.

IMO what makes a major difference in flavor is aging. I typically age mine for 6 - 8 weeks.... drinking it through the holiday season from Thanksgiving through New Years. When first made the flavors are easy to identify... eggs, cream, sugar, booze. As the brew ages the flavors meld, the consistency thickens and the mouth feel becomes very silky.

I use at least 20-25% alcohol and store the eggnog in the fridge below 40F. I would not recommend aging an alcohol free eggnog.

What alc do you use Reid?

What alc do you use Reid?

Em, good morning. I tend to use rye based bourbons... as of late I have really liked the 4 Roses yellow label. I also have used and liked EW black, Barton and WT. I like the lower proofs for nog.

As for brandy I have always used Christian Brothers as it has decent flavor and is reasonably priced. On the rum side I use a rum that I would be happy drinking neat such as a Mount Gay, Appleton or FdC.

Just on a lark this morning, I took some grocery-store brand commercial eggnog, poured about 8 oz into a mug, then added (unmeasured) a dollop of Baby Saz and a slightly smaller dollop of WT Rye.

Eggnog + rye whiskey = liquid bliss.

I am in heaven! Just cracked open the Evan Williams eggnog. It beats the pants off the Pennsylvania Dutch eggnog.

Thank you, Bettye Jo and friends!

I was wondering if this was any good. We have a ton of it at the store, and it's $7.50.

I need to experiment to make a good eggnog recipe.

I just made up a batch of the Renner Family recipe eggnog for this season. This is the first time I have made it so early but I heard that giving it some time to "age" really allows the ingredients to meld together.

Thanks again Jeff.

Just on a lark this morning, I took some grocery-store brand commercial eggnog, poured about 8 oz into a mug, then added (unmeasured) a dollop of Baby Saz and a slightly smaller dollop of WT Rye.

Eggnog + rye whiskey = liquid bliss.

I mixed a couple eggnoggs with some Baby Saz for my Dad & Grandma -- they both claimed it was best eggnogg they ever had -- I sent my Dad home with the remainder of the Baby Saz for his future eggnogg pleasure.

Back in December 2005, Alton Brown did an episode of his "Good Eats" show entitled "The School of Hard Noggs" ... below are the links to part 1 and part 2 of this episode. Not only does he make a great Egg Nog, but he explains the technical stuff behind it as well....

The recipe is worth trying ... even if you substitute another bourbon for the Maker's Mark ... although I do think it's worth trying as is ... at least once.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikTLT_6y2gg&feature=PlayList&p=EDE1A385391555BC&index=24

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqAqkK44Qc8&feature=PlayList&p=EDE1A385391555BC&index=25

This isn't meant to be self-serving ... even though I am in the episode ... (although it was quite fun) ... just thought the recipe is worth a go...

Last night I had the pleasure of meeting Hecti1, CajunKY, Barturtle and CubaCroc at Bourbons Bistro here in L'ville. We got to talking with the owner who Timothy and Charles seem to know pretty well. He gave us samples of some eggnog he made with William Larue Weller...OH. MY. GOD that stuff was incredible.

Ah man....Ya'll got me to get a hankerin' for some eggnog, now. I've been fighting the urge. I'm heading to Publix to pick up my Borden Eggnog in the can. I always get the can, as that's what we always had as a kid. Hmmm, WLW in the nog, you say Iron. OK, that's what it will be.

Stop Joe, stop!! I too was lured by this discussion to buy some commercial eggnog and try it with some bourbon. Ugh! the stuff I got was way too sweet and cloying. I have to cleanse the taste out with some Straight Bourbon.

Stop Joe, stop!! I too was lured by this discussion to buy some commercial eggnog and try it with some bourbon. Ugh! the stuff I got was way too sweet and cloying. I have to cleanse the taste out with some Straight Bourbon.

Ok Joe. Please proceed either with the can and mixing bourbon of your choice. I would recomend lower shelf bourbon but you can certainly do it any way you want. Making it from scratch is quite easy. Seperating the eggs being the hardest part after that is just a matter of mixing it all together. Follow Mr. Renner's recipe at the start of this thread. You will find that there is quite a differnce in homemade vs. factory made. Go for it! Good luck and happy holidays.

I've read here about your "Calder's?" that ya'll get up in the Mitten. Unfortunately, we can't get that Down South, here. Sooooooooooooooooooooo, I'm back off to Publix for the Borden's!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.