Eggnog

JeffRenner
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I must confess that I didn't buy Calders (duh, why not) and got instead some other brand and lo-fat at that. It was over-flavored with nutmeg or something similar. I'll have to find some stray cats to feed it to and go buy the good stuff.

...some other brand and lo-fat at that.

Lo-fat, Amy say it isn't so.

I'll have very little eggnog during the year but I want either Guernsey or Calder.

I use at least 20-25% alcohol and store the eggnog in the fridge below 40F. I would not recommend aging an alcohol free eggnog.

Would you mind posting the recipe that you like the most?

• 3 weeks later...

I found the perfect use for that bottle of ORVW10 that I don't care for - eggnog mixer! I add 2-3 ounces (per 60z glass) to the eggnog, and it is perfect.

Better late than never, I suppose. Here's the recipe I used:

12 eggs, separated

2 cups heavy cream

6 cups whole milk

1.5 cups sugar

2 teasoons vanilla (I used bourbon barrel aged)

2 cups bourbon ( I used OWA age stated)

Freshly grated nutmeg to taste

In an electric mixer combine the egg yolks and sugar, beat for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the sugar is dissoved and the mixture reaches the "ribbon" stage

Turn the mixer speed to low and slowly add the bourbon and vanilla. Add the milk then place mixture covered in the refrigerator until ready for service.

About 30 minutes prior to serving, using a clean bowl and mixer beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. In another bowl whip the cream to stiff peaks. Fold the cream into the yolk-milk mixture followed by doing the same with the egg whites.

Serve chilled. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.

My parents are in town and we were driving past Calder's in Lincoln Park today they have a sign on the window stating their egg nog is a 56 year tradition so we stopped and grabbed some. The fridge was empty but the guy out back said he just finished a fresh batch.

Mom, Dad and myself treated ourselves to a nice pour with some Lot B! Just wonderful! I can not think of a better way to wrap up the evening !

Nice post Mike, I may have to try that since Calders is seasonal.

Tony

I just whipped up a batch of eggnog using a recipe I found on allrecipes.com. It tastes more like ice cream than eggnog, but that's ok with me.

Eric

I just whipped up a batch of eggnog using a recipe I found on allrecipes.com. It tastes more like ice cream than eggnog, but that's ok with me.

Eric

You must not have put enough booze in it :)

You must not have put enough booze in it :)

Yea, I didn't put any in it yet!

I made it without any alcohol so I could have some by itself if the mood strikes me, and one can add their booze of choice as needed. The only thing is, it isn't "custardy" like the store bought nog. Not that that's a bad thing, but adding booze to what essentially is melted vanilla ice cream may taste a bit strange. I suppose there's only one way to find out for sure :cool:

Eric

Eric,

There are two things you can do for that "custardy" feel for you eggnog. First, you can make what is known as a 'boiled custard' instead of a traditional eggnog. With this method you heat the egg yolks and some of the milk to about 165-170 degrees while stirring constantly. This cooks the egg yolks without scrambling them which in turn thickens your finished product.

Second, check out the recipe I posted about a page ago in this thread. By separately whipping the cream and the eggwhites and folding them into the mixture you'll get a consistency that is thick, but airy. The only thing is that the air will eventually 'fall' out of your egg whites and whipped cream so it is best to do this as close to service time as possible.

And if you can force yourself, make it with the booze already in it. It really is delicious and tastes a lot less like ice cream even though the ingredients are virtually the same.

Here is a link to the recipe I used:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Christmas-Creamy-Egg-Nog/Detail.aspx

When I made it I did heat the yolks and the sweetened condensed milk over low heat until it reached 160F. I'm thinking the texture is different because this one calls for sweetened condensed milk instead of heavy cream or half and half. Next time I have some heavy cream I will try again.

Eric

I tought it be interesting to see this magazine ad from 1967 with some great looking eggnog and 4R's blended.

post-1534-14489816313707_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

For those of you who might not be as familiar with your rums as your bourbons, Coruba Dark would be an excellent dark Jamaican rum (instead of, say, Myers's). Much smoother and tasty to boot. A middle-shelf dark Jamiacan that you could drink straight if necessity dictated. If that's not available, Appleton V/X is good, although it is a gold Jamaican rum. You might have to add more to taste. Cool thread!

This is cool, the eggnog thread got a bump in August.

And speaking of eggnog I made something special with it recentley.

I saw a TV show on the cooking channel where this lady made waffels by cutting the milk down and topping it off with eggnog.

I was looking for some half-n-half at the store and I saw eggnog, I couldn't belive it. The date was OK, expires in Sept so I got some.

I don't have a waffel iron so I whipped up some pancakes.

The recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of milk, I used 1 cup milk and a 1/2 cup eggnog.

The batter tasted great, when you flipped the pancakes you could smell the eggnog.

Add maple syrup and applewood smoke bacon and it was heaven.

This is cool, the eggnog thread got a bump in August.

And speaking of eggnog I made something special with it recentley.

I saw a TV show on the cooking channel where this lady made waffels by cutting the milk down and topping it off with eggnog.

I was looking for some half-n-half at the store and I saw eggnog, I couldn't belive it. The date was OK, expires in Sept so I got some.

I don't have a waffel iron so I whipped up some pancakes.

The recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of milk, I used 1 cup milk and a 1/2 cup eggnog.

The batter tasted great, when you flipped the pancakes you could smell the eggnog.

Add maple syrup and applewood smoke bacon and it was heaven.

Nice recipe Oscar...everyone now.."It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas"...BTW...106 degrees in my neighborhood today!

• 3 months later...
It's that time of year again, and since the last eggnog thread has been closed for inactivity for more than a year, I'll start a new one with a pointer to my post from a year ago.

Eggnog is a traditional part of our family's holidays, and I hope you all will check out that long post from a year ago.

Time to bump this seasonal topic. It's been a good thread, and newer members might enjoy reading it all, as well as the previous one pointed to above, to get in the eggnog mood.

Cheers

Jeff

By the way, the new Evan Williams bourbon eggnog gets two big thumbs up from my wife, a true eggnog lover and expert. She said "THAT'S what it's supposed to tasted like!"

Jeff, I thought you died.

Where ya been?

Are you sure this is really you?

:lol: Just not spending as much time here as before. Thanks for your concern!

I am having a hard time finding the EW Eggnog though. Everytime I visit, they are sold out or have a couple bottles on hold for someone else. Its looking like I might not get any this year! :shocked:

Had my first Calder's eggnog and bourbon on Thanksgiving night, thanks to my sister-in-law.

No reason to make your own when Calder's is available.

The new Knob Creek gift pack with flask has an eggnog recipe on the box. I've never done eggnog myself, but this year I'm going to try it. I might start with something simple like that Calder's Oscar recommends so all I have to do is add bourbon.

I might start with something simple like that Calder's Oscar recommends so all I have to do is add bourbon.

As an Alabama Brother I offer you some Calder's Egg Nog.

I'll dry ice it and ship it down to you, IF you ship me up some 'Bama sunshine and warm weather.

Since Heaven Hill also makes the Christian Brothers Egg Nog, I wonder if it's the exact same nog, just switching brandy for bourbon for the Evan Williams.

To me, egg nog is like deep fried bacon and for the same reason: so good and yet so wrong.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.