Eggnog

JeffRenner
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As an Alabama Brother I offer you some Calder's Egg Nog.

I'll dry ice it and ship it down to you, IF you ship me up some 'Bama sunshine and warm weather.

I suspect a video or picture won't do. Here, it's in the mid 60s and sunny today with a light breeze. Too bad I'm stuck in the office.

Butterscotch Scotch Eggnog

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/08/dining/08apperex.html?ref=dining

2 large eggs, separated

1 cup dark brown sugar

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus pinch

2 cups whole milk

1 cup smoky Scotch whisky

1/2 cup brandy

2 cups heavy cream

4 tablespoons granulated sugar

Grated nutmeg.

1. In a large bowl, combine the yolks, brown sugar, vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Using an electric mixer beat on medium-high speed until thick and dark golden, about 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and slowly drizzle in the milk, Scotch and brandy. Transfer to the freezer to chill while preparing the rest of the eggnog. (Or refrigerate for at least 2 hours before completing.)

2. In a medium bowl, whip the cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Set aside. In another medium bowl, using clean beaters, whip the egg whites and pinch of salt on medium-high speed, adding the sugar by tablespoons until soft peaks form.

3. When ready to serve, pour the yolk mixture into a large punchbowl. Fold in a small amount of whipped cream to lighten it, then fold in the remaining cream. Fold in the egg whites. Generously dust the top with nutmeg; serve immediately.

Yield: 12 servings.

------------

It occurs to me that you could sub. 4 cups of half-and-half for the 2 cups of cream, 2 cups whole milk.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone received their Four Roses Christmas Card yet? It includes Jeff's recipe and a picture of the 1934 Four Roses ad highlighting the recipe as well. Must be a great one to have been carried on so many years. I have plans to make it this Christmas Eve!

• 2 weeks later...

Well this years batch is pretty good. I followed Jeff's dads recipe but I used Captain Morgan for the Rum component and WT 101 for the bourbon. I think I will go back to Meyers Rum and EWSB or OF for the Bourbon. It seems like it mellows better when I make it the day after Thanksgiving for serving at Christmas.

Well this years batch is pretty good. I followed Jeff's dads recipe but I used Captain Morgan for the Rum component and WT 101 for the bourbon. I think I will go back to Meyers Rum and EWSB or OF for the Bourbon. It seems like it mellows better when I make it the day after Thanksgiving for serving at Christmas.

It keeps that long with eggs and milk in it?

Another lazy effort at the Smokinjoe household this year, but still fulfilling. Borden's Eggnog in the can, with a little VW 10yr 107 thrown in. More than good, for me. :yum:

One day...maybe, next year....I'm going to man up and make Jeff Renner's recipe.

:toast:

I helped my wife make fresh egg nog, tonight. As nearly as I could tell, it had only eggs, cream, and sugar - well, plus 4 oz of 100-proof Old Grand Dad for two servings. We had it while watching The Shawshank Redemption.

Very nice.

Tim

• 10 months later...
I assumed his house had gone into foreclosure after paying those prices at A & L!:lol:

Here I am, nearly a year later, and still alive, just not active on the group at all. But thinking it's time to bump this thread up to keep it alive, and to post a link to the original post I made about my dad's eggnog. Hey, it's getting to be that time of year. We're supposed to have snow Thursday!

My local store still has no Evan Williams eggnog. I'm about ready to call in an emergency air drop. Promised Land brand eggnog does not liquor up well, and I'm not good at making my own.

I saw Southern Comfort eggnog on the shelf recently. However, I think it's non alcoholic

I've been drinking from a bottle of EW EggNog I found in Baltimore a couple of weeks ago. WaWa also has started carrying their EggNog for 2011 so I've also been mixing that with just about everything.

Yep, tis the season. Calder's eggnog should hit the shelf soon up here.

Ok, I am interested in trying Calder's will look around for it. What is the ratio of Bourbon to Nog you use?

Best regards, tony

Ok, I am interested in trying Calder's will look around for it. What is the ratio of Bourbon to Nog you use?

Best regards, tony

In a rocks glass I like two shots of bourbon.

But you should start with one and can always add more.

Calder's is so thick the bourbon will sit on top of it, then you need to whip it with a fork.

In a rocks glass I like two shots of bourbon.

But you should start with one and can always add more.

Calder's is so thick the bourbon will sit on top of it, then you need to whip it with a fork.

Okay, I am morally obligated to quote the Talking Heads (or was it Devo - the mind is going...) here:

"Whip it. Whip it good." :cool:

I saw some EW eggnog at the store yesterday. I plan to pick some up this year (as well as making my own).

WT 101, OWA, and VOB BiB are go-tos for cooking in my house so I figure those would be perfect to start with for the eggnog. Others have mentioned WT and OWA on here, but has anyone tried VOB in nog?

I'm also curious about the BT cream liqueur. Has anybody tried this? If so, what do you use it in - or do you just drink it straight?

That's Devo btw.

I also meant to say that Trader's Point creamery located in Indiana makes some great eggnog:

http://www.tpforganics.com/

I got some through a home grocery deliver (Green B.E.A.N. delivery - no affiliation) last year. My wife told me she didn't like eggnog, but couldn't stop drinking the stuff.

I think a lot of local dairys make the stuff; I'm hoping Snowville Creamery (who make my absolute favorite milk) makes some in the near future.

I have made the Washington Egg Nog recipe that AVB posted for the last 2 years and it is excellent.

I had no idea regarding the aging that is good to know. I always found myself trying to drinnk it all in 2-3 days. Granted they were good days :grin: but, making a big batch and using for Thanksgiving and Christmas is much more appealing.

Good stuff. Thanks for the info.

has anyone tried VOB in nog?

VOBBIB has been my go-to bourbon lately for mixing with the WaWa EggNog. I usually use 3:1 VOBBIB:EggNog.

I think wheaters work best.

Old Weller Antique at 107prf holds up good and the sweetness compliments the eggnog.

• 2 weeks later...
YES!! The Evan Williams has finally arrived. I grabbed half a case today.

I bought a couple the other day...I'm not a big eggnog fan, but I do like the Evan Williams product.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.