Eggnog

JeffRenner
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ok, I compared the Pennsylvania Dutch with the Evan Williams eggnog, and the EW is much better IMO.

Thought the PA Dutch was good, but EW definitely has more kick. After a couple of sips, I spiked the PA Dutch with some WSR. That made it much better! :grin:

Thought the PA Dutch was good, but EW definitely has more kick. After a couple of sips, I spiked the PA Dutch with some WSR. That made it much better! :grin:
It's not just the kick for me but also the thicker creamier texture of the EW, and the overall taste.

I'll be getting a bottle of the EW again this year. It's good. But, for the time being, it's Dimple Bottled Old Forester BIB in my Borden's in the can Nog. :yum:

I just got these award-winning recipes in an e-mail from talesofthecocktail.com.

New Orleans’ Best Bourbon Spiked Eggnog Crowned at Tales of the Toddy

Chris Hannah of Arnaud’s French 75 Bar created the winning cocktail, the Blue Hawaiian Nog, whilst Ian Julian (Pumpkin Trace) and Steven Yamada (Nog I Yam) tied for second place.

In addition to the one-of-a-kind cocktails and cuisine enjoyed at Tales of the Toddy, the first-ever Bourbon Spiked Eggnog Competition settled the discussion of who has New Orleans’ best Bourbon Spike Eggnog. Eighteen of the city’s best bartenders came together at the Hyatt Regency to enter their recipes but in the end it was Chris Hannah of Arnaud’s French 75 who won with his Blue Hawaiian Nog.

Chris Hannah excitedly exclaimed that “My inspiration came from Don Ho to create a tiki themed eggnog that took months but in the end I am thrilled the response was a winning cocktail!â€

Made with Benchmark bourbon, Blue Curacao, banana/ pineapple cream, the Blue Hawaiian Nog puts a twist on the traditional eggnog cocktail. Use the recipe below to add this cocktail treat to your holiday festivities.

Blue Hawaiian Nog

Chris Hannah

Arnaud’s French 75

Recipe Serves: 2

Individual Serving Size: 8oz

2 oz Benchmark Bourbon

.25 oz Blue Curacao

1.25 oz Banana/Pineapple/Cream

Piece Egg

Pinch Nutmeg Spice grounds

Piece Pineapple slice

In a cocktail shaker add the Bourbon, Blue Curacao, Banana/Pineapple Heavy Cream and the egg with ice. Shake and strain over 2 ice filled old-fashioned glasses, garnish with pineapple slice and nutmeg sprinkles.

2ND PLACE TIE

Pumpkin Trace

Ian Julian

Hyatt Regency’s Vitascope Bar

1.5 oz Buffalo Trace Bourbon

.75 oz Pumpkin spice syrup

.25 oz DiSaronno Amaretto

2.5oz Brown’s Dairy Eggnog

Build all ingredients into a shaker and shake it with a beat and strain into a glass with no ice and top with roasted pumpkin seed as a garnish

Nog I Yam

Steven Yamada

Victory Bar

.5 oz Benchmark Bourbon

3 oz Sweet Potato Eggnog

1 oz Spiced Marshmallow Fluff

Sweet Potato Puree: Peel a Sweet Potato and slice into medium thick pieces. Place on baking sheet and cover with 2 Tablespoons of Salt and 1 Cup of Dark Brown Sugar. Gently toss and then bake at 350 F for about 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Add all chunks of Sweet Potato and any Juice into a food processor and thoroughly puree.

Sweet Potato Eggnog: Combine 3 Whole Eggs plus 1 Egg Yolk in Medium Saucepan and beat thoroughly with whisk. Set burner to lowest setting and, while stirring, add 2 Cups Whole Brown’s Dairy Milk, 1/2 Cup Sugar, and 1 Cup Sweet Potato Puree. Continue to stir for about 20 minutes or until mixture reaches 160 F. Bottle and refrigerate overnight.

Spiced Marshmallow Fluff: Beat 3 Egg Whites, 1 Cups of Light Corn Syrup, and 1/2 Tsp of Salt for about 10 minutes or until thick. Turn mixer speed to low and slowly add 2 Cups of Confectioner's Sugar. Then add 1 Tablespoon of Cardamom/Ginger Simple Syrup.

Nog I Yam: Combine Sweet Potato Eggnog and Bourbon. Top with Marshmallow Fluff. Lightly scorch fluff with a small torch.

Serve Straight Up, Cold

About Tales of the Cocktail®

Tales of the Cocktail® is the world’s premier cocktail festival, bringing together the most respected minds on mixology for five days of cocktails, cuisine and culture. Held annually in New Orleans, this international event has something for cocktail professionals and enthusiasts alike with a spirited schedule of seminars, dinners, competitions and tasting rooms where brands showcase their latest products. Tales of the Cocktail® returns in 2012 for a historic milestone—its 10th Anniversary of rocking the cocktail world. Join the celebration July 25-29, 2012 and see how Tales of the Cocktail® only gets better with age.

About the New Orleans Culinary and Cultural Preservation Society

The New Orleans Culinary and Cultural Preservation Society (NOCCPS) is a non-profit organization committed to preserving the unique culture of cocktails and cuisine in New Orleans and beyond. Since it’s founding in 2006 the NOCCPS has supported members of the hospitality industry through programs like the new Apprentice Aid Fund, providing financial assistance to former apprentices in times of medical need, the Cocktail Apprentice Scholarship Program and the Flo Woodward Memorial Scholarship as well as the production of events like Tales of the Cocktail®.

####

Once thanks Jeff for sharing your dad's recipe. I would encourage everyone to give the recipe a try as it really easy to make and tastes way better than the premade stuff. I made this years batch last weekend with freshly bought eggs to satisfy the Sister In Law that freaked when she found out I was making at Thanksgiving.

My daughter and her family came up to visit us. I am happy to say I corrupted them with a bottle of Evan Williams eggnog. They were suitably impressed.

The wife whipped up a triple batch of Alton Brown's egg nog recipe for our Christmas party Saturday night. She's the nervous sort, so she did the "cooked" variant. We went with Maker's Mark, but she added about half again as much as the recipe called for.

It's awesome stuff. I just enjoyed a nice pour of the leftovers....

Once thanks Jeff for sharing your dad's recipe.

You're welcome, Tim. I just checked in here today for the first time in a few weeks (I'm so inactive here that there have been rumors of my death:grin:), and am glad that people are still enjoying the recipe. It has been made literally around the world by readers of SB.com and HomeBrew Digest, where I first shared it.

My daughter is out at the store just now buying ingredients for our annual batch, which we'll enjoy today and tomorrow.

• 11 months later...

Time for my annual bump to keep this thread alive, and to post a link to the original post I made about my dad's eggnog, which started the thread. I've just reread the thread, and it's good reading. Newcomers might like to read it, too. And I'm still alive, Oscar, despite not posting much!

Just last week I got an email from someone who has made this recipe a family tradition. It's gratifying to see that it's made it around the world, including the Southern Hemisphere, although I don't think it would be quite as appealing on a Australian beach on December 25 as it is in front of the fireplace in Michigan.

• 2 weeks later...

Great story behind the recipe! Below is a recipe courtesy of KegWorks for those concerned about raw eggs. It calls for brandy instead of bourbon, but substitutions are not prohibited. I haven't tried it yet. I'm still in the process of collecting egg nogg and punch recipes for the holidays. I need to start experimenting before it's too late.

Easier than Egg Nogg Punch

Ingredients:

1 c sugar

1 c dark rum

½ c brandy

2 tbsp vanilla extract

8 c whole milk

Grated nutmeg

Directions:

1. Dissolve sugar in rum, brandy, and vanilla extract in a very large pitcher (at least ¾-gallon capacity).

2. Add milk and freeze until very cold or slushy (4 - 8 hours).

3. Pour into glasses, sprinkle nutmeg over the top and serve.

I continue to be lazy. Just purchased my yearly bottle of Evan Williams Egg Nog. One of these days, though...

I continue to be lazy. Just purchased my yearly bottle of Evan Williams Egg Nog. One of these days, though...

I'm with ya, Joe. I'm not a huge eggnog fan but always buy a bottle of the Evan Williams nog. I'm sure I'll make up a homemade batch at some point, but that EW stuff is good and just so easy!

No eggs, no cream -- it's the heart-healthy alternative!

Great story behind the recipe! Below is a recipe courtesy of KegWorks for those concerned about raw eggs. It calls for brandy instead of bourbon, but substitutions are not prohibited. I haven't tried it yet. I'm still in the process of collecting egg nogg and punch recipes for the holidays. I need to start experimenting before it's too late.

Easier than Egg Nogg Punch

Ingredients:

1 c sugar

1 c dark rum

½ c brandy

2 tbsp vanilla extract

8 c whole milk

Grated nutmeg

Directions:

1. Dissolve sugar in rum, brandy, and vanilla extract in a very large pitcher (at least ¾-gallon capacity).

2. Add milk and freeze until very cold or slushy (4 - 8 hours).

3. Pour into glasses, sprinkle nutmeg over the top and serve.

I intend on trying Jeff's recipe, but just for giggles I picked up some Anderson-Erickson Egg Nog in the refrigerated section today. Too sweet, but dumping in some Weller Antique cuts it down to a tolerable level. I suppose it's meant to be drunk with added bourbon/rum/brandy. I can't see how anyone could drink it unleaded. Way too sweet.

I've been drinking Borden's EggNog out of the can for about as long as I can remember. I'd drink a whold dang can at one sitting when I was a kid. The can was nicely printed with comforting graphics. No paper label. Solid. It's like a tradition that I buy a can every year. This year, they've switched over to one of those boxes thingees, like the kid's juice boxes, but bigger. Isn't anything sacred anymore??? OK, the box is resealable. More economically efficient, I'm sure. Easier to handle. Yadda yadda yadda...Fiddlesticks!!!!!!!! "New Improved Packaging!" the box says. Oh, why don't you blow me, Elsie. I guess some wiseaker will do away with the jellied cranberry sauce in the can next, so I can't see my cranberries with the rings from the can indented on them at Thanksgiving!!!! :hot:

I'll try and catch the milkman early tomorrow morning while he's making the delivery in our milkbox, and ask him if he has a substitute...

That made me chuckle a little, Joe. :lol:

I'm always hollering about something changing that's been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. My wife just tells me to get over it.:grin:

I had eggnog for the first time ever last night on Christmas Eve. I took a bottle of Evan Williams egg nog to a friends house. It was a lot thicker than what I was expecting but the flavor was ok. Maybe I will try to make homemade eggnog next year.

Pendennis Club Eggnog

(from Beverages de Luxe, published in 1914 by The Wine & Spirit Bulletin, pre-WWI back issues of which are on Google Books and are completely fascinating to look at.)

(One Gallon)

Take the yellow of one dozen eggs.

One pound granulated sugar.

One teaspoon nutmeg.

One-half pint cream, and beat well together. Then take one quart Kentucky Bourbon Whisky, one quart Cognac, and one pint Jamaica Rum, beat all together. Take one quart rich cream and beat until stiff, then add to the above mixture very slowly, whipping until well mixed. Serve in punch cups.

(facsimile autograph) Louis Herring

Superintendent.

• 4 weeks later...

I have made my batch for next holiday season. I am glad I have prepared ahead of time, it is so much better with age on it.

Best regards, Tony

I made the "Easier than Egg Nog Punch" recipe I posted earlier. AND, with nutmeg and a cinnamon stick, I coined a new phrase as I lifted the cup to my face: "Smells like Santa's ass." Kinda leaves you scratchin' your head. On one hand, it's Santa so it can't be bad. On the other, it's his ass.

• 11 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.