Eggnog

JeffRenner
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's that time of year again, and since the last eggnog thread has been closed for inactivity for more than a year, I'll start a new one with a pointer to my post from a year ago.

Eggnog is a traditional part of our family's holidays, and I hope you all will check out that long post from a year ago.

Cheers

Jeff

I love eggnog and bourbon.

I think Maker's Mark goes best with eggnog.

A local favorite here is Calder's eggnog. I don't know if it is a national brand or not.

Last weekend my sister-in-law came over and knowing my love of bourbon and it being "the season", she brought over a bottle of Evan Williams Original Southern Eggnog.

I was skeptical, but it turned out to be pretty good.

The label states that it has eggnog, EW bourbon, blended whiskey, rum and brandy. 30 proof.

But mixing my own MM with eggnog is still the best.

I wonder how that recipe was devised (for the EW eggnog), it seems to cover a lot of bases in the spirits worlds (brandy + rum + whiskey etc.)!

It must have been fun putting it together anyway. :)

Maybe someone thought, some people think eggnog should have rum in it, some think brandy is ideal, and some bourbon, if we put some of each in we'll have a chance to reach all these markets. Maybe it is as simple as that.

Gary

A local favorite here is Calder's eggnog. I don't know if it is a national brand or not.

I think it's a Detroit area diary with limited distribution.

I haven't had Calder's, but in general I can't stand commercial so-called eggnog. The ingredients typically include high fructose corn syrup and carageenen gum or other thickeners.

NPR's Sunday Weekend Edition had a great interview with Alton Brown on eggnog this past Sunday. He had some pithy comments on commercial eggnog, and some good tips on making your own.

He also was (properly, I think) insistent on using freshly ground nutmeg. As he said, why use ground stuff? This is true of any ground spice, I think, although some, like cinnamon, keep better than others, like coriander, which is about as tasteless as sawdust after a month or two.

Jeff

He also was (properly, I think) insistent on using freshly ground nutmeg. As he said, why use ground stuff? This is true of any ground spice, I think, although some, like cinnamon, keep better than others, like coriander, which is about as tasteless as sawdust after a month or two.

Jeff

Actually, what we buy ground in the little jars is cassia, a close relative of cinnamon. I use a quill of true cinnamon and what a difference it makes!

The earliest egg nog recipes, and recipes for similar dairy-based punches, called for brandy, then rum, sometimes both, and only more recently bourbon. The Evan Williams product seems to do very well. The Jewel supermarket in my neighborhood always has big stackings of EW Egg Nog and Christian Brothers Brandy (also a Heaven Hill product) at this time of year.

This is George Washington Eggnog. The recipe was take from Mt. Vernon itself and is really good as attested to by a number of people on other boards where I've posted this.

1 pint brandy

1/2 pint rye whiskey

1/2 pint Jamaica rum

1/4 pint sherry

8 eggs

12 Tbsp sugar

1 qt milk

1 qt heavy cream

Mix liquors first, then separate yolks and whites of eggs. Beat yolks and add sugar, mixing well. Add liquor to mixture slowly, continuing to beat. Add milk and cream, slowly beating. Beat whites of eggs until stiff and fold slowly into mixture. Chill thoroughly.

Hello Jeff. I brewed up your recipe of Egg Nog last night and it is a winner. I will be bringing this to our family Christmas Party. Thanks.

bj

Hello Jeff. I brewed up your recipe of Egg Nog last night and it is a winner. I will be bringing this to our family Christmas Party. Thanks.

I'm really pleased to hear that. I love spreading dad's old recipe and its story.

We're going to have it again this year out here in L.A. with our daughter and son-in-law (and our new granddaughter:grin: ). Our son and d-i-l are coming down here from east-central Neveda for the Rose Bowl, as is my brother-in-law and nephew.

You know we'll drink a toast to my dad with his eggnog!

Jeff

At the risk of being accused of the high crime of bourbon misuse and abuse, I took the liberty this evening of creating Stagg Nogg. :skep:

It turned out very, very good in comparison to several other bourbon & egg nog combinations I have tried this year and in past years at holiday time. I was pleasantly surprised. If you have an ample supply of Stagg, give it a try. If not, I would advise you to save it for the purer form of Stagg enjoyment - neat or with a little water.

Calder's is a private local southeast Michigan dairy that has superb products.

The eggnog is about $9.00/quart and is so thick I think you can almost cut it with a knife. Of course cutting it with good bourbon and some fresh nutmeg is best.

Here is a link to their web site.

http://www.calderdairy.com/

I got a bottle of Calder Bros yesterday, $8.59 qt at Busch's in Saline, and yeah you are right it is thick.

I poured some in a rocks glass and then added the bourbon and it sat on top of the egg nog.

Yes it does, you actually need to mix it. This is one of the few times I use my professional chemistry training these days.

Merry Christmas.

I got a bottle of Calder Bros yesterday, $8.59 qt at Busch's in Saline, and yeah you are right it is thick.

I poured some in a rocks glass and then added the bourbon and it sat on top of the egg nog.

Probably too late to find some now but I'll look for it next year. I moved to Saline in July and this is our regular grocery store. I'm still discovering the local products - additional suggestions are welcome.

Craig

• 10 months later...
Has anybody spotted the Calder's eggnog yet this year?

Craig

cas you Dog,...but I have to admit I have been thinking about it.

I bought a bottle of Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 Year Old the last time I was in Chicago and I am holding it to mix with Calder's Egg Nog.

I have not seen Calder's Eggnog in the stores yet this season. I don't recall seeing it before Thanksgiving in the past.

For those not in SE MI, this is a local dairy farm that has its own store and also sells some products to local grocery stores. It is the best most calorie and cholesterol laden eggnog I've ever had. It is a treat with either bourbon or rum and some nutmeg.

http://www.calderdairy.com/

Strange to notice that eggnog (advocaat as we call it) is a seasonal drink in the States,in Holland it is a part of the everyday life used as dessert,in a cocktail or in pies.Traditionally it is made here with brandy sugar vanilla and chickeneggyolks,some recipes give extras like hazelnuts,chocolate or gooseeggs or even quailseggs.The drink was usually given to women that just had a baby to recover their strength again but with a lot of medicinal potions,they tasted good even if you weren`t sick or recovering.Every shop has a big assortment of brands and varieties.To make it with anything else rather than brandy is strange to me but worth a try.

Eric.

Depending upon your physiology, it may not end up in your coronary artery.

This is very thick eggnog, I think it must be diluted with bourbon or rum.

I have to agree with Will this stuff pours like wet plaster and coats the stomache the same way. I was raised with the Calder's truck delivering milk to our milk box as a kid. Their stuff is of the highest of quality!!

Hey Oscar you bringing the Calder's Saturday??

For anyone in the Michigan, Northern Ohio areas? PM me if you're not doing the after Thanksgiving sales a small group of us will be doing some tasting!!

Tony

I made a couple of calls today.

Coleman's Farm Market in Ypsilanti and Busch's in Saline.

Both had no Calder's Egg Nog.

Busch's said, "hopefully Monday."

Hey Tony, I'll be there but without the Calder's.

i've often thought eggnog is great...but being a bourbon drinker, it's a real conundrum putting the two together. when it good it's GOOD!

but what quality bourbon to put in? i can't bear to put my WT (any bottling) in....JB? a quality mid-shelf whiskey?

right now, still wondering how best to use this friggin' bottle of Heaven Hill...should i mix it with my new quart of Southern Comfort Eggnog (bought at the grocery story)? or will the HH ruin the eggnog....

i am NOT a cocktail drinker...but i enjoy a bloody mary, mimosa or eggnog when the season demands it...yeah, even a crown and coke!

but i HAD to counter that odd HH rag/cabbage taste/smell and made a BITTER LEMON mix with it...man, that taste still crept thru...

o should i give HH a shot in my eggnog!!???:rolleyes:

WT and Old Charter are both great. I don't really like straight rye in egg nog. Nor do I like a wheater. While OC and WT are some of my favorites neat, I don't have anything against using 'em in egg nog. If I'm going to the trouble of making homemade nog, I ain't skimping on the whiskey.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.