Retail Price Inflation of Van Winkle Rye

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a record of every bottle of fine spirits I've purchased since August, 2002. In that time, I bought Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye on six different occasions, at the following prices.

8/2002 23.99

3/2003 23.99

6/2003 29.99

11/2003 29.99

4/2004 25.99

11/2006 36.99

I purchased a bottle in March 2005 in Kentucky and it was 26.99. It seems all Van Winkle bottles have recently increased at a brisk pace!

Thomas

I have a record of every bottle of fine spirits I've purchased since August, 2002. In that time, I bought Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye on six different occasions, at the following prices.

8/2002 23.99

3/2003 23.99

6/2003 29.99

11/2003 29.99

4/2004 25.99

11/2006 36.99

Good God, Chuck! You were buying a bottle every 3-6 months, and then a sudden and terrible gap of 2 1/2 years with no Van Winkle rye purchase? What happened?? Why the long, brutal "rye-less dark ages"?

I spoke to a Liquor store owner about the prices and the so called shortage of extra aged bourbons, he said he is noticing upward price pressure on all spirits across the board, aged or not.

This problem is going to get especially bad with Scotch. As of tonight, £1 = $1.95. :bigeyes:

Seven years ago, £1 was about $1.60.

Good God, Chuck! You were buying a bottle every 3-6 months, and then a sudden and terrible gap of 2 1/2 years with no Van Winkle rye purchase? What happened?? Why the long, brutal "rye-less dark ages"?

To tell the truth, Rittenhouse BIB happened.

To tell the truth, Rittenhouse BIB happened.

Whew, OK! The same thing is happening to me, now that I can find Rittenhouse BIB out here in California. It's a heck of a bargain!

Chuck raises a valid point... however from a peanut gallery perspective that point led me to a different question.

I'm curious, if Julian changed the VWFR Rye 13 label to reflect the supposed actual age of the spirit, would anyone seriously complain about it costing $35-$40 retail?

Prices go up -- and, from the standpoint of VW rye, they hadn't in a while. So, it was due.

That said, it will change my buying habit regarding it. I'll no longer sock as many bottles away as I can find -- instead, when one starts getting near the bottom, I'll start looking for a replacement.

But even that might be beneficial to Julian, regarding availability vs. demand. I believe recently he's had trouble keeping enough product in the pipeline (only 390 cases per year of the rye, is made, I think, for worldwide distribution). If he can coax you and me to buy a little less, but still buy, then he's able to stretch that distribution a little wider.

I believe it is $32.99 back in stock at Bevmo, and I'll buy every bottle I see. Which will not be many because each store only got 1 bottle while I am sure Hi Time got more and costs more. I have only had the F series and I love it, I think in the $35 range it is a freaking bargain! Quite frankly I can't imagine ever being able to get he stuff for $23.99.

I find a massive difference between VWFRR and say Saz Jr. (obviously), I love them both but for very different reasons. VWFRR tastes like, well the Van Winkle of Rye Whiskey - I like to sip and enjoy a healthy pour of it, whereas Saz Jr is like the Buffalo Trace of Rye - I'll pour it into a tall shot glass and down it in two swigs.

To think that you used to be able to get VW for the price of Saz Jr! Dam! Hard to believe!

Truly, back when it was $24 it was an incredible bargain and, of course, I kick myself for not buying cases of it when it was at that price. Even at $35-$40 it is worth every penny.

I have one bottle of Lot C that I bought at the Getz auction for $70, that's signed. The bottle I just bought at Cork-n-Bottle is Lot H.

Upon further checking it appears every Bevmo in SoCal has already sold out of the Rye (and just about of the Pappy15 also). Don't tell me great Bourbon and Rye isn't catching on and getting more popular! If production and distribution doesn't pick up it may be very hard to get these wonderful things here in SoCal :frown: ...

I have one bottle of Lot C that I bought at the Getz auction for $70, that's signed. The bottle I just bought at Cork-n-Bottle is Lot H.

I think I have a B series somewhere in the bunker Chuck. I paid 50 bucks for it some time back.

Joe :usflag:

Upon further checking it appears every Bevmo in SoCal has already sold out of the Rye (and just about of the Pappy15 also). Don't tell me great Bourbon and Rye isn't catching on and getting more popular! If production and distribution doesn't pick up it may be very hard to get these wonderful things here in SoCal :frown: ...

Don't even bother checking down here. VWFRR has long been out of all of my BEVMO's.

• 2 weeks later...

From a retail point of view, the Van Winkle Products are very difficult right now in NYS. Availabiity is extremely tight right now (most products we can only get a few bottles at a time), and demand for "premium" bourbon and rye is surging after several recent articles. VW12SR will last less than a day on the shelf here at work, and customers will buy everything that they can. One of the newbies here made the mistake of putting up a full case, one customer bought the whole damn thing and asked if we had anymore less than an hour later. When we re-ordered last time, we were held to 3 bottles max. VW13yr Rye has been very tight in supply (6-12btls every 6 months or so), however until the last month it just under demand. VW15yr, and VW20yr are pretty well available, and supply is currently better than demand... but I bet that wont last more than 6 months.

The price is going up wholesale locally, and we've raised our prices slightly too, just to disuade people from buying everything and leaving us high and dry for months.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love to try Van Winkle Rye. Anyone know of a store that sells it on the internet or of a place I might be able to acquire it in Sothern California?

I'd love to try Van Winkle Rye. Anyone know ... of a place I might be able to acquire it in Sothern California?

Don't I wish, if I come across any I'll let you know Mark, and you do likewise!

I've been looking for a bottle of this since I first heard of it. No luck.

I've been looking for a bottle of this since I first heard of it. No luck.

Call Binny's. They have it.

bj

Call Binny's. They have it.

bj

It's not listed on their website. I'll give them a call. Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.