LeNell's Red Hook Rye

Jake_Parrott
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got my first chance to taste this one last night. A complete counterpoint to the Willett. Much redder in color, this one whacks you over the head with wood, leather, spice and richness up front with a sharp thwack of pepper down the back. A bruiser, it lacks the elegance/balance of the Willett but is a magnificent counterpoint. Wish I had a bottle.

228 bottles, 67.6% abv, and the best packaging ever!

I decided to forgo purchasing a bottle since I just recently bought a bottle of RH21 from LeNell's. By the time I finally decided to just go for broke, the Red Hook Rye was sold out.

I would have loved to compare the 21yr old to the 22.

Happy New Year!

I decided to forgo purchasing a bottle since I just recently bought a bottle of RH21 from LeNell's. By the time I finally decided to just go for broke, the Red Hook Rye was sold out.

I would have loved to compare the 21yr old to the 22.

There's no comparison, thanks to the stripping/watering of the RH21.

IMHO, the two best-looking labels of '06 (only slightly stained :P)

Sorry the flash photo doesn't capture the color of the whiskey itself; the Red Hook is a shade redder / less orangey than the Willett.

post-1654-14489812769227_thumb.jpg

post-1654-14489812768989_thumb.jpg

That label reminds of a rum bottle for some reason. Don't know why. I am just not sure if I like the Red Hook label or not.

That label reminds of a rum bottle for some reason. Don't know why. I am just not sure if I like the Red Hook label or not.

Ok, but do you like whats behind the label in the bottle???

Maybe I should have phrased that a little differently. The Red Hook packaging is one of my faves of '06. Let's face it, the label isn't exactly a watershed of graphic design. But the theme is brassy and full of moxie, which is so appropriate if you've met LeNell herself. Or tasted the whiskey. Moreover, I love the handwriting directly on the bottle in two places, as well as the completely gratuitous wax 'L' on the bottle shoulder.

The packaging is pure LeNell. She also includes a letter discussing the barrel selection event with the Kulsveens, how the proof changed in the barrel from the time she selected the barrel to the time it was bottled, etc......but a nice touch. But I find the wax "L" and the "heart" Lenell to be a little too much from purely a product design standpoint....particularly with the name "Red Hook", a tattood bicep and barrel proof whiskey in the bottle. Looking forward to opening it in a rye tasting we'll be doing this weekend.

Thanks Tim....AKA Dinky Banjo.

post-379-1448981277055_thumb.jpg

post-379-14489812770704_thumb.jpg

post-379-14489812770854_thumb.jpg

...particularly with the name "Red Hook", a tattood bicep and barrel proof whiskey in the bottle.

Keep in mind that Red Hook, the neighborhood in Brooklyn, is an old working-class waterfront locale - even if has become a bit yuppified today. A stevedore hoisting a hefty shot of rye would not at all be out-of-place...

Looking forward to opening it in a rye tasting we'll be doing this weekend.

This weekend? Damn, why does it have to be when I am so far away...

Randy, it is definitely good to be you and good you enjoy being you! That is simply one of the nicest looking tastings I've ever seen laid out.

We'd all love to partake in that so please post some impressions of them as many of us will never taste the ORVW Old Time Rye, Lenells nor the Ritt...

Keep in mind that Red Hook, the neighborhood in Brooklyn, is an old working-class waterfront locale - even if has become a bit yuppified today. A stevedore hoisting a hefty shot of rye would not at all be out-of-place...

That part of the design I like just fine as its consistent with her location, the contents of the bottle, etc.......its the "heart" LeNell and the gold wax L that seem out of place on this bottle. Anyway, its what's inside that matters and I'm looking forward to our tasting this weekend.

Jeff, Perry and a few others are coming over to watch football and do a little tasting. Perry likes ryes and has previously tasted the Old Time 12yo, Saz Jr and the Willett's. It will be most interesting to get his impressions of the others. BTW, the Saz is a 2003. I don't have enough glassware to ensure we all drink from the same style....but each will be tasting from six identical glasses....blind. Each will be asked to 1) order the glasses from favorite to least favorite with ties allowed and 2) provide simple comments regarding nose, taste and finish. I'll compile a summary and post here.

BTW2, as I'm not a big fan of rye, my comments should viewed with a skeptical eye.

Randy

• 4 months later...

FYI.....Bottling number 2 became available today.

Dawn

I tasted Red Hook #2 in Bardstown during the sampler. Suffice it to say if you can get some, get some. It is outstanding. :bowdown: Just ask Doug Philips.

Joe :usflag:

OK, how does a non New Yorker get some? Anybody in the area want to send a bottle to PA?

FYI.....Bottling number 2 became available today.

Dawn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.