BOTM, 1/07: Old Grand Dad BIB

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In most, but not all, cases a 100 proof whiskey is BIB, but in all cases a BIB whiskey is 100 proof. Definitely in the case of Old Grand-Dad the 100 proof expression is BIB and says so on the label. Actually, it says "Bonded" but that's the same thing.

Does anyone know the age of OGD BIB? Maybe a guess?

I've recently picked up assorted older bottlings of OGD BIB. A bottle from 1976 was six years old when bottled, a bottle from 1988 was eight years old (due, I guess, to the "glut" of whiskey at that time). I may have to line these two bottles up with a current issue to see if I can detect more or less woodiness in any of them.

Based just on tasting the current bottlings, I'd guess it's at least six years old.

All I know is, when I see OGD BIB, I buy it (thanks, Chuck!).

Picked up a bottle for poker night on saturday. I thought it was pretty good (here comes the amateur opinion....). I picked it up for 17.99 here in PA. My impression is that it is something that I would not necessarilly rush to drink neat, but it was a nice drink to sip on with ice while playing some cards. There was some good full flavor to it, but I don't see myself picking it up again over Buffalo Trace for 19.99 (39.99 for 1.75L).

All in all I would give it a 7 on my personal scale which is really indicative of nothing tangible except for my personal tastes. I didn't get a lot of feedback from the other drinker at my table, but I didn't hear any complaints.

As an aside, I think I will enjoy this bottle of the month section. It should really open me up to trying new bottles instead of sticking to the 'usual' all the time. Thanks.

My impression is that it is something that I would not necessarilly rush to drink neat,

A little farther down the road try it neat,... i.e. after you are more familier with it.

You will be suprised.

Enjoying a pour of this in a snifter to bid it farewell as BOTM.

The nose tonight seems to be orange zest and cinnamon, maybe some just-burnt pie crust. Oddly, the first taste is sweet, but then my tongue begins to prickle and the spices - cinnamon and clove, but also pepper and possibly anise - rush across the palate. Caramel is there, hiding, but coating the tongue. Earlier in the thread, we discussed apple pie. I am reminded right now of the deeply caramelized edges of a pie crust where juice from the apple filling has bubbled out and browned: the spices are swallowed up in sugar and heat.

The middle is long and lively, the finish abrupt: the aforementioned sweetness and the faintest touch of char are quickly snuffed out by a vague numbing of the tongue such as cloves will accomplish. Another sip is required immediately.

For whatever reason, a good deal of OGD 86 and BIB from the ND era is available in this area, and I have been buying it up (and rightly so, from what I've tasted), but tonight I poured from a Beam bottling (2003), and this is still a terrific whiskey. Every time I've poured it, it has been different, yet the constants - spice from the rye, deep caramel richness in the middle, and a total lack of pretense - remain.

To finish off this pour, I may have to pull out a chocolate bar: bittersweet dark chocolate with orange and spices.

Head of the Bourbon Family, indeed.

Several people have mentioned orange peel. I haven't been getting this, or maybe I have, but not enough of it. I had one pour of OGD BIB tonight (Very good) and then followed it with another, but this time with three drops of orange bitters. Wow! was that good!

Ed

I give Beam Co a huge amount of credit for continuing to make real Old Grand-Dad instead of just putting their standard Beam whiskey in an Old Grand-Dad bottle.

• 3 weeks later...

To my taste, the BIB is the best OGD. I think it is easily the best value in Bourbon at $16.99 here (it is only for sale at a few liquor stores though). I like it better than the OGD 114, but that is like apples or oranges. There are arguments for both. The 86 proof version is really only comparable to Evan Williams Black which is always cheaper (still a decent value). Grocery stores only carry the 86 proof version unfortunately. The BIB is much better than the 86 proof swill.

To my taste ... The BIB is much better than the 86 proof swill.

Wire, they are the same bourbon. Just a little more water to lower the proof. So, to say "swill" is a little off base.

Jeff Mo.

• 1 month later...

Just trying OGD BIB for the first time. I like it a lot. I dont see it much around here. I got the 114 and like it , but I really like this BIB 100. It seems more rounded compared to the 114.

I am finishing a small pour of the 114 now for comparison, but cant wait to get back to the BIB 100.

I just bought my first bottle of OGD BIB, thanks to the BOTM. I was pleasantly surprised at the flavorful and clean taste. Just enough burn. It can be sipped neat, and I think it will be great over ice this summer. Thanks for pointing me to this bargain bourbon.

I also just purchased my first OGD BIB based on the recommendations here. I didn't particularly like it neat; it was a bit too dry and bitter for my taste. But it was very good on the rocks (especially for the price), and I'm sure it will make a great cocktail mixer. It's going in my next Manhattan for sure.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!