American Sandwichiana

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Gary,

There is a Cuban place in Key West that makes the very best Cuban sandwich. The Sangria is superb also. It's called El Siboney (spelling).

Joe :usflag:

Thanks Joe, I will check it out if I ever get there. That is one of the places on my "must visit" list.

Gary

Throughout my railroad carrier I stopped at many places in the St. Louis area. One of them in East St. Louis was a BBQ joint which sold BBQ snoot sandwiches. I have eaten many of them in the past and my mouth is watering now thinking about it. I knew there was something useful you could do with a pig nose. They always said boil the snot out of it.

bj

• 4 weeks later...
I don't think the Cuban sandwich was mentioned. I have never had this in Cuba (never been there, no desire to) but I have in Miami. This is a good example of an elegant, light sandwich. It is some slices of fresh pork and ham, a layer of cheese, a pickle of some kind I think and a dab of mustard on a characteristic crusty roll. Very nice and I was told there it was invented for a late night snack, after a night in the clubs or bars. Ole!

Gary

Gary,

I think you're referring to a medianoche (midnight) sandwich which is slightly different from a classic Cuban sandwich. The primary difference is the bread. A medianoche uses a smallish sweet eggy roll and a Cuban sandwich uses Cuban (duh!) bread, which is similar to French bread. The medianoche is more of a late night snack, as you mentioned, while a Cuban sandwich is generally larger and a meal in itself.

-Kevin

Thanks for this, I think I had the Cuban sandwich right but not the part about the late night snack, which refers to the other sandwich you mentioned. Actually I had the Cuban sandwich a couple of weeks ago for lunch at David's in Fort Lauderdale and it was as I described it and you did, the one with the French-style bread. But they didn't press it on the grill this time (or hardly at all), and I felt it wasn't nearly as good as when pressed. Later, someone told me some people do prefer it not pressed.

It indeed is a sizable meal, with the chips sprinkled over and a beer it lasted me until well into evening. (Beer: Presidente which I thought from previous trips was all-malt but perhaps never was since the side of the bottle referred to barley malt and adjunct of some kind. Still a good product but then in Fort Lauderdale given a choice I'd take a "mojito" :))

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.