N. M. Uri and Co.

bourbonmed
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone heard of N. M. Uri and Co., of Louisville? I am told a was distillery long ago. How long ago? What bourbons did they make?

Thanks,

Omar

I'm afraid (sure, actually) this doesn't answer your question, but I found this document concerning corn whiskey and containing a reference to a Dr. John Uri LLoyd of Cincinnati. It could be of some connection to your question, though.

http://www.ibiblio.org/soilandhealth/03sovereigntylibrary/0303 soccriticismlibrary/030305wylie/030305ch4.html

I apologize, but the above link cannot be entered correctly in this text box. Where you see a blank before "soccrit", there should be " " instead of the blank space.

Damn, it won't even display inside the quotation marks. So, I will describe it: a percent sign followed by the number 20.

Tim

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Omar,

Sam Cecil has this to say about N.M.Uri "...a brother-in-law of Isac W. Bernheim and a partner in Berheim & Uri, RD#9 in Jefferson County until 1892..." Then they operated the Gwynn Springs Distillery - RD #371 in 1903 as the Internationl Distillery. They bottled; Old International, Brookwood, old Roman and Proctor Knott. "Uri died in 1909, but the plant continued to operate until prohibition, when it was closed and never revived." [page 137 'The Evolution of the Bourbon Whiskey Industry in Kentucky' by Sam Cecil 1999]

On page 82 there but scant information on RD #9 - Bernheim Bros. & Uri. "This plant was built in 1897 by Bernhiem Bros. & Uri on Bernhiem Lane in Louisville." and "Uri sold out in 1903 to form his own company.." There is no mention of the brands bottled.

I can't tell you how accurate this is, as a lot of this early information was drawn directly from the writings of H.L. Coyte, but as you can see there is some conflict in the dates. Page 137 has Uri a partner "until 1892", but page 82 states the distillery wasn't even built until 1897. It is true that they could have been partners 'on paper' without a distillery.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Linn & Tim,

Thanks for the interesting info. I've seen several Uri bottles at antique malls near Mt. Dora, FL. Different size amber bottles with embossed logos and some jugs -- apparently they produced a fair amount of bourbon around the turn of the century.

Omar

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Omar there is always a fair amount of counterfiting going on in the antique sector. Because glass bottle production methods were very crude old bottles are very easy to copy.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Thanks for that reference (I was able to make it work following your directions). I haven't had a chance to read it entirely, but it looks very interesting.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.