Templeton Rye Whiskey

Dangermonkey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There already has been quite a bit of discussion about this product here.

Can you provide a more detailed assessment? How does it compare to other straight ryes?

Stories about "Capone's favorite" are rife everywhere illicit hootch was made during Prohibition and this one is no more nor less credible than any other.

Sorry , my bad for not doing more reading in some of the other posts.

Actually I did a review on it on my website (www.spiritsreview.com) Actually it is rather nice, reminds me of the Old Michters (the real one) and yes as far as I can tell it is made on site. Scott said the stocks are now 5 years old. Production seems to be small enough to be credible. (Unlike some producers of some other supposedly small production spirits) I have a friend in Belgium with a horse drawn still that seems to be producing more than these guys are.(See Photos).

post-9-14489812908489_thumb.jpg

post-9-1448981290888_thumb.jpg

I thought (maybe I misread or misunderstood) that the rye currently on the market was sourced off-site (on the bulk market) but maybe given additional aging on the premises, pending maturation of stocks actually distilled at the site in Templeton.

Whatever the explanation, I like the review of the whiskey, and your site is an interesting one with well-written reviews, thanks.

Just to pick out one I thought your review of the Laird's applejacks was excellent. "Spiritually" Laird's seems very much of a piece with what we talk about here. The earliest distilling manuals have extensive discussions of applejack and clearly it is a cousin to bourbon whiskey and not really a distant one.

Gary

Bush told me that "we did have product made by a third party (not a big player) while we were getting our distillery up and running and have said that publicly many times." In other words, they did not make the product you reviewed.

I just cracked my bottle open and poured a tiny amount into a Riedel bourbon glass. I have a terrible head cold but I detect lots of fruity floweriness overlayed on top of a base flavor more similar to Saz. Jr. than WT rye. I'm pleasantly surprised. The finish seems to fade fast but that could partly be due to my cold.

Has anyone tried Fritz Maytag's Single Malt Hotaling's Whiskey? Since Scott said his source was "not a big player," I wonder if it was Maytag? If he has 11-year-old single malt rye (which is how the Hotaling's is described) then surely he has some 5-year-old too.

Here again, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that it shouldn't be a mystery.

I've tried the Hotalings. I was eager to try an aged version of Old Potrero as I'm a fan. Yet instead of aging in a new charred barrel Maytag dumped it into a used barrel. Hence, there was less influence from the wood. Meaning, the end result was more like the other Old Potrero expressions. I was disappointed. The floral, light character was still very much up front in the nose and palette. But not much more depth came through.

I was just wanting a little more of a straight rye experience. All three versions seem too similar to me.

-Lear

Has anyone tried Fritz Maytag's Single Malt Hotaling's Whiskey?..

They barely had it bottled in time for last year's WhiskyFest in Chicago, Chuck, where I tasted it. I thought it a lot like the white-doggish West Virginia rye, Isaiah Morgan, so was surprised to later discover it had been aged 11 years. It seemed to me to virtually unaged.

I have some Hotalings. It is interesting but not really to my taste, with a juniper-like smell and indeed a lot of the floral and new make character of the regular young expressions. In effect it is an oude genever (low-proof rye spirit, aged in reused wood). It is smoother than the younger Anchor whiskeys and certainly matured from its time in barrel but the maturation is different than if it had been placed in new charred barrels. It would be better iced in the Dutch style (or taken on the rocks, I'll try that tonight). I use it for blending.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.