Dry Cigars

DrinkyBanjo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello all

Some of my cigars got a little dry, meaning not optimal humidity but not dried out in any sense. Anyway, some of them have lost their 'sponginess' when pinched. I've since rectified my humidor and its back to about 70% but it never really went below 60-65%.

The cigars the are less spongy are thicker cigars, will this come back in time? They are not ruined are they?

Thanks,

Tim

Unless they were extremely dried out (as in crumbling, flaking), they should come back. It might take a while, though.

Tim

I'm actually not sure based on what our definition of spongy is here, but your cigars should not be "spongy" or just barely if so, in the context I have in mind.

"Spongy" would indicate they are probably over humidified, which typically leads to burn problems or worse case scenario, mold.

I guess what I mean is that they should 'give' when squeezed between two fingers. Mine right now are a bit stiff, but they seem to be getting better. Spongy was not the right word but I couldn't think of a better one.

I guess what I mean is that they should 'give' when squeezed between two fingers. Mine right now are a bit stiff, but they seem to be getting better. Spongy was not the right word but I couldn't think of a better one.
Sorry, didn't mean to come off authorative. From my own experience with cigars, keeping them 'perfectly conditioned' can be quite a challenge. Aside from the obvious pointers passed around readily (70/70 etc), I believe where one lives (regional influences) as well as personal preferences play a factor in what ranges to aim for (humidity).

Also, depending on your local conditions, it can literally take months before your cigars (stabalize) to your liking. Someone suggested patience - good advice.

I normally do not have too much patience but in this case I will have to modify my behavior! Thanks all for the tips.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, cigars are recovering well. This will be just in time to enjoy my first outdoor springtime smoke!!! I have had a few cigars of course but only during walks with my son, too cold to sit outside and relax but this weekend is supposed to be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Believe it or not, quite a few people in the cigar world (myself one of them) prefer their smokes at between 60-65%. They will come to no harm at that RH, no worries.

Good news to hear. I've yet to smoke one of the affected cigars but I will soon.

A story here;

About 6 years ago My friend bought me a box of "true" Hoya de Montereys.. he bought them in the Cayman Islands. They were dry as a Shumard Oak's leaves in December. And they smoked badly.

Thus , I convinced a Proprieter of fine brown waters for a trade in the store. I believe I got the better of the stick.. I would say. As I got 2- 1.75' "handles" of George!

I recently splurged and purchased a Daniel Marshall humidor. It's beautiful and holds 165 cigars. It took two weeks to get the RH inside the box from 50% up to 70% (but that's what their user manual said it would take). Anyway, it also suggested a RH of 65% for the long term storage of cigars......long term meaning years and not months. 70 to 75% being appropriate for short term storage.

Here in Houston, sometimes we could use a dehumidifier to get those numbers. Personally, I have found I like the feel of the cigar kept at closer to 70 to 75 %.

Randy

It's all personal preference, that is for sure. Ever since I've gone to 65% I've never felt the need to go back. Some prefer the higher humidity, nothing wrong with that (just watch for mold when approaching 75%). Check out www.cigarmony.com for a great humidification system (the puck) that doesn't need much attention and comes in both 65% and 70% variations.

Congrats on that humidor, the Marshall's are works of art.

Most people who smoke cuban cigars will tell you to keep them around 63-66%.

My 2 cents

For my main humidor I bought a powered humidifier called Le Veil. Stays at 70% and if it goes lower within a few % it kicks on to maintain the desired humidity. Pretty cool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LE-VEIL-ELECTRONIC-CIGAR-HUMIDOR-HUMIDIFIER-2-COLORS_W0QQitemZ260101760326QQihZ016QQcategoryZ11675QQcmdZViewItem

In my 2nd humidor I have the OshKosh. Fill with distilled water and lasts a LONG time. (doesnt maintain a certain % though, but works well nonetheless)

http://www.oshkoshhumidor.com/cigar-humidor-store.htm

My 2 cents

For my main humidor I bought a powered humidifier called Le Veil. Stays at 70% and if it goes lower within a few % it kicks on to maintain the desired humidity. Pretty cool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LE-VEIL-ELECTRONIC-CIGAR-HUMIDOR-HUMIDIFIER-2-COLORS_W0QQitemZ260101760326QQihZ016QQcategoryZ11675QQcmdZViewItem

That looks very similar to the Cigar Oasis that I have been considering purchasing. Do you have any experience the the Oasis?

Most people who smoke cuban cigars will tell you to keep them around 63-66%.

I would agree with that. My experience with many Cubans is that they are rolled too tight. Couple that with high humidity and you have a very tight draw. :bandit:

Never used the Oasis, but it is very well regarded in the online community. Living in Tampa I have to worry more about removing humidity than I do adding it. So I stick with the beads.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.