BOTM 4/07: William Larue Weller

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Spring has finally sprung, and in the spirit (pun intended) of renewal we will be taking a look at some relatively new and innovative bourbons that have recently come to market. This month's choice is: William Larue Weller barrel-proof wheated bourbon.

With high-proof bottlings en-vogue, it was only logical that Buffalo Trace would expand on their success with George T Stagg by releasing a high-octane wheater. In only two years it has become a real crowd pleaser here in Bourbon Country. Those with excessive chest hair will enjoy this one straight up, while others will find it pairs well with a splash of water or cube of ice. It even makes a good bourbon sour:bigeyes:

Discussion is open to all releases of this product. Comparisons to other Weller expressions are welcome and expected.

:893drillsergeant-thSound off:893drillsergeant-th

I have been looking for a reason to open my '06.....and I think I just found it!

Scott

Hello all! I have been lurking in forum awhile, and have learned much, and enjoyed all the posts.

BOTM of WLW was a great reason to make a 1st post.

Have enjoyed W.L. Weller Special Reserve for 20+ years, as well as 107.

Am going to buy a bottle of William Larue Weller tomorrow at Discount Liquor in Waukesha, Wi. I noticed 4 on thier shelf last Sat., but purchased W.T. Rye, and 2Rittehouse Rye B.I.B.

After reading this thread I decided to pull my open bottle of '05 from the cabinet. This time I added a dribble of water. Which does seem to open it up a bit. It still lacks that "pecan pie" taste I find in Antique. It is there but it's muted by the wood.

I really wish I had bought some of the '06.

I've enjoyed the WLW '06 release over the last year very much. I'm not sure the Weller has put hair on my chest but I believe the hair in my ears is from old age and not bourbon.....I could be wrong.

I have two bottles of WLW bunkered plus the current open bottle I'm nursing. Hindsight being 20/20, I can only hope the '07 release is as over the top good as '06 was....that being the case, I plan on stocking up.

I have been a fan of Weller products since I have started drinking bourbon. The Weller 12yr and Centennial are two of my favorites. The WLW 06 is the cream of the crop, the icing on the cake and my #1 favorite bourbon period.

bj

...Am going to buy a bottle of William Larue Weller tomorrow at Discount Liquor in Waukesha, Wi. I noticed 4 on thier shelf last Sat...

Well, if this doesn't show how little effect we have on moving sales, then we're immune to modesty. I'm sitting here with the '06 Larue info sheet in front of me, and I can't for the life of me figure out how there can be more than 3,000 bottles, even if they rinsed every last drop out of the barrels -- or, one bottle for each 2 millions souls on earth.

Yet here we are, 5-6 months after release, discussion, chatter and rhapsodizing about it here -- and there are still bottles left on shelves!:banghead:

The WLW was (IMHO) the best of the (comparatively weak) 2005 BTAC bourbons. The 2006 BTAC was much stronger throughout but the WLW has held its own and is simply outstanding.

Oh, that I could get more....

The '06 is outstanding, and the '05 was good as well, but I'll give the nod to the '06. I have one bottle of '06 in reserve, which will wait until the next BTAC release unless temptation wins. Sadly, my first bottle went empty a while ago, but it sure was nice while it lasted!

Regardless of whether or not it's S-W (and I believe it isn't, based on the fact sheet), it's one mighty fine whiskey.

Spring has finally sprung, and in the spirit (pun intended) of renewal we will be taking a look at some relatively new and innovative bourbons that have recently come to market. This month's choice is: William Larue Weller barrel-proof wheated bourbon.

While it seems that some wheated bourbons have a reputation for being somewhat bland, I would have to say that NONE of those bland ones belong to the Weller family.

The Sazerac company's ability to tap into what is quickly becoming lasting trends, as well as a well-rounded product portfolio and excellent marketing, have put them at the forefront of the high-end bourbon market, and rightfully so.

On that note, I think I'll crack open this bottle of WLW as soon as I finish my Ezra B. and my Eagle Rare 17. So, give it about a week! :grin:

I still have to find that pesky GTS and Sazerac 18, though...

As stated on 4/05, purchased a bottle of William Larue Weller on route home yesterday. Also Old Grand Dad B.I.B., W.T. Rye,,and Rittenhouse Rye B.I.B.

I really appreciate all the informative posts from all of the whiskey Conn oisuers

on S.B. .com

It was a perfect evening to open and enjoy the wlw 06.

Unseasonably cold, 30 degree weather, fire in the fireplace.

Good cigar. Ribeyes over hardwood lump charcoal.

Opened wlw 06, pourded a triple, and nutty smooth charachter said, this Whiskey was worth every penney of my hard earned money!

...William Larue Weller: Ah, now this is more like, right off the top! Last year’s nose was full of alcohol and oak. This one’s a wheater from the get-go! Caramel/brown-sugar fudge. More caramel/brown-sugar fudge. I can’t get past it (nor do I want to). Oh, boy – it’s there on the palate, too, quick-dried by oaky heat (think Weller 19yo, but a little less closed-ended). “I scorched the fudge a little in the bottom of the pan, Mom – can I eat it?” A little bit of the burnt-toffee sense, but just enough to excuse making another batch. Finish is medium-long and warm, with hints of orange. There’s hope for Weller barrel-proof, after all...

That's what I wrote back in November upon first opening a bottle. I'm a little more than halfway through that bottle now, and have it in front of me in the glass.

Caramel/brown-sugar fudge. Drizzle some cherry sauce over it. Sprinkle with walnut pieces.

Hasn't changed much. That's a good thing. I hope later editions resemble this one more than the '05, which I had to dilute of mix to finish.

My bother in law and I tasted the '06 just last month. The high proof came as not so much a jolt as much as it did "snap to attention" type of reaction

We will revisit it as a perfect after dinner pour for all of the richness and sweet caramel that we have so far tasted.

William Larue Weller: Ah, now this is more like, right off the top! Last year’s nose was full of alcohol and oak. This one’s a wheater from the get-go! Caramel/brown-sugar fudge. More caramel/brown-sugar fudge. I can’t get past it (nor do I want to). Oh, boy – it’s there on the palate, too, quick-dried by oaky heat (think Weller 19yo, but a little less closed-ended). “I scorched the fudge a little in the bottom of the pan, Mom – can I eat it?†A little bit of the burnt-toffee sense, but just enough to excuse making another batch. Finish is medium-long and warm, with hints of orange. There’s hope for Weller barrel-proof, after all.

Thanks to a recent trade with another SB.com member I am enjoying my second pour of the '06 WLW. Tim, you said it better than I ever could. I just got the hint of 'orange' big time when I took the last sip of the first pour. Almost reminded me of orange bitters (not really bitter of course) more like fudgeie orange, like orange infused bitter-sweet chocolate.

Well, I was on the edge anyway, and re-reading the thread has done it: I'm going to buy a bottle tomorrow. Yes, there are a few I know of still around. I don't have the cash, but it has to happen.

I really need to quit reading this forum or start selling plasma.:grin:

I really need to quit reading this forum or start selling plasma.:grin:

There's a certain symmetry to that thought;

the alcohol can take the place of that unneeded plasma, leaving the blood supply undiminished ;)

Roger

Wow, what a selection for the BOTM!! This stuff is really marvelous, the only downside that I can possibly come up with and its nit picking is that it is a little bit on the sweet side. I think it would be great reduced with some berries and poured over vanilla bean ice cream atop a warm brownie. Rachael Ray, are you listening?

I like Stagg and the Saz18 is great as always, but I think this WLW and the Handy made the BTAC this year.

Wow, what a selection for the BOTM!! This stuff is really marvelous, the only downside that I can possibly come up with and its nit picking is that it is a little bit on the sweet side. I think it would be great reduced with some berries and poured over vanilla bean ice cream atop a warm brownie. Rachael Ray, are you listening?

I like Stagg and the Saz18 is great as always, but I think this WLW and the Handy made the BTAC this year.

This is the most positive review I have read about WLW of the BTAC.

I have the 2005 bottle unopened, and I have no need to hurry to get to it after what I have read about it.

But I don't really want to pay for an '06.

This was a great pick for BOTM. I have a bottle of the '05, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm quite partial to wheated bourbons, and this one is one of my favorites. I don't see wheated bourbons as bland, but if I did, this one would be an exception.

I regret that I didn't pick up an '06 bottle, but hope to pick one up soon. I just missed a couple of bottles (along with an '06 GTS) at my local retailer by two days, so I fell into a short depression. (It was short because I picked up my first Lot B - but that'll be a different post!)

What I have is, I think, the 2005 (122.9 proof). I like it but I don't love it. I get mostly sugar and soot. It needs a little water but you have to be careful. Too much and it falls apart completely. The finish is very nice; clean, sweet and long. I can't tease much more than that out of it. The above sounds more damning than I intend. As I said, I like it, but I don't love it. The finish is the best part.

This is the most positive review I have read about WLW of the BTAC.

I have the 2005 bottle unopened, and I have no need to hurry to get to it after what I have read about it.

But I don't really want to pay for an '06.

Oscar, in case you haven't read it here somewhere the '06 is much better than the '05 was.

What I have is, I think, the 2005 (122.9 proof). I like it but I don't love it. I get mostly sugar and soot. It needs a little water but you have to be careful. Too much and it falls apart completely. The finish is very nice; clean, sweet and long. I can't tease much more than that out of it. The above sounds more damning than I intend. As I said, I like it, but I don't love it. The finish is the best part.

I agree with you completely Chuck, a little water and the '05 is nice, too much and you've ruined it completely... The '06 I really think is a complete different story, I even enjoyed it on a pile of ice!

While it seems that some wheated bourbons have a reputation for being somewhat bland, I would have to say that NONE of those bland ones belong to the Weller family.

The Sazerac company's ability to tap into what is quickly becoming lasting trends, as well as a well-rounded product portfolio and excellent marketing, have put them at the forefront of the high-end bourbon market, and rightfully so.

On that note, I think I'll crack open this bottle of WLW as soon as I finish my Ezra B. and my Eagle Rare 17. So, give it about a week! :grin:

I still have to find that pesky GTS and Sazerac 18, though...

Okay, I cracked it open, set some aside for one of my co-workers, and then started drinking. The first few sips were interesting, sweet, and complex. A true hallmark of a good, mature, wheated bourbon...

Then I took a little more than a sip, about half a shot, judged its mouthfeel as "round", then swallowed...

... and it went down my throat every bit as smoothly as low-grade kerosene...

I didn't have this problem with the Thomas H. Handy or the Eagle Rare 17. Is it possible I got a bad bottle? Maybe heat damage?

Your thoughts and input would certainly be appreciated.

Okay, I cracked it open, set some aside for one of my co-workers, and then started drinking. The first few sips were interesting, sweet, and complex. A true hallmark of a good, mature, wheated bourbon...

Then I took a little more than a sip, about half a shot, judged its mouthfeel as "round", then swallowed...

... and it went down my throat every bit as smoothly as low-grade kerosene...

I didn't have this problem with the Thomas H. Handy or the Eagle Rare 17. Is it possible I got a bad bottle? Maybe heat damage?

Your thoughts and input would certainly be appreciated.

Half a shot (about 3/4 oz.):bigeyes: that's a pretty big swallow of 120+ I would agree Handy is a bit easer drinking than either year of WLW but Stagg (hazmat II III and I'm assuming I, I've never had the original) are more challenging. Worthwhile and tasty just more challenging on ones throat tissues.

I find when drinking whiskeys like Stagg it pays to be cautious how it enters your gullet. Most especially those first dozen or so sips untill you get warmed up.

The '06 WLW is a great pour. Wich year are you refering to?

Half a shot (about 3/4 oz.):bigeyes: that's a pretty big swallow of 120+ I would agree Handy is a bit easer drinking than either year of WLW but Stagg (hazmat II III and I'm assuming I, I've never had the original) are more challenging. Worthwhile and tasty just more challenging on ones throat tissues.

I find when drinking whiskeys like Stagg it pays to be cautious how it enters your gullet. Most especially those first dozen or so sips untill you get warmed up.

The '06 WLW is a great pour. Wich year are you refering to?

I had an '06 WLW. I poured off about half of it to give to a co-worker who is also very much a bourbon drinker. She thought it was excellent. Maybe it gets rougher as you reach more sediment toward the bottom?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!