Its official now.

bourbonv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

About three weeks agao I was approached by the University Press of Kentucky. They want me to write a bourbon history. I sent the Laura, the editor for this project an outline and today we sat down and talked the nuts and bolts of the deal and I am going to do it. I have a very busy year ahead of me.

The book will be ten chapters. I hope to have it written by September 2008 and they want a year for the design phase of the book so it will be released in September 2009. They want to do a very nice hard back book with illustrations and other features such as side bars to put in the historical tidbits that may not work into the main text, but are still of interest to the reader. We are also talking about maybe a historical timeline at the end of each chapter to place everything in context or maybe a general bourbon history timeline as an appendix at the end of the book. It will be based upon primary sources and I will document these sources with footnotes so future historians will know where the information came from and how to examine the sources for themselves. This is something I really want in the book.

The book will cover the history of the industry and the product. The focus will not be on individual distilleries but more of their roles in the overall picture. Certain individual people and companies may play a bit bigger role, but that is going to be more for the reason that their papers are available for research. The Taylor-Hay collection is a prime example of this fact. I also plan to carry it into the 21st century with the role of the internet and modern whiskey marketing. Now you know some of my reasons for the interest in the internet's role in bourbon marketing and the present growth of bourbon. Jim has been very helpfull so far and I want to thank him for the information he has furnished. There have been other people who replied to my inquiries that have given me some other avenues to pursue. Thanks Tim. The thought about the trade barriers alone was very helpfull.

I am going to be busy for the next year. If I spend five weeks writing a chapter, it will take about a year to write this book. If you don't hear from me for an extended period of time, you will know where I am what I am doing. Wish me luck.

Mike Veach

Good luck Mike!

I am excited about this book, so I know you must be ecstatic about it.

Again, congratulations on getting this opportunity.

I am going to be busy for the next year. If I spend five weeks writing a chapter, it will take about a year to write this book. If you don't hear from me for an extended period of time, you will know where I am what I am doing. Wish me luck.

Mike Veach

Hi Mike. Have a great time!

I bet you spend more time here than you think you will. Where else are you going to go with all the burning questions that are bound to come up?

Ed

Congratulations, I also noticed you were quoted in the new Drinks magazine (Spring 2007) article "Rising Rye".

Keep up the great work Mike.

Great... couldn't think of a better person to do it. Now, can we wait that long for the finished product?

Mike, it will be good to have a resource from which to find an encyclopedia of your bourbon knowledge without having to wait till your next posting. Best wishes, and congrats.

Mike,

Put my down as the first pre-order for the SB.com signed special edition!

Looking forward to reading it!

Joel

Thanks everybody. I am going to be busy for the next year. I am working on a schedule of 10 chapters with 5 to 6 weeks per chapter. It may take a week for me to straighten up my files so I can find things I need for the first chapter!

Mike Veach

• 3 weeks later...

Mike, Are you going to include info on how brands are shuffeled from one distllery to another in your timeline? Can't wait for some new info. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations Mike and Good luck on your task.

I look forward to reading the book.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.