How is Rye consumed?

GoodDram
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

well, i am going to try my first straight rye, Old Overholt, neat.

this bottle has been sitting on the shelf, all alone, for weeks next to about 10 canary yellow JB rye bottles...but today, i noticed new OO bottles...the labels are now toned down to a greyer color...and the tops are not maroon, but rather black. a new look i guess as JB rye did recently (to a more parchment tone).

anyways, i am looking forward to this.

Good eye for the OO change in packaging, that's not been mentioned here before.

Now I just wish Beam would do a bonded version.

Gary

i can't make a decent comment quite since my sinuses are totally whacked. but i did a small pour and did get a good sense of the OO. and i imagine it will be even better when all my senses (including my 'Spidey' sense!) are in synch.

it seemed similar to the OGD BIB, but mellower (of course, lower proof), but still quite spicey.

at $10.99 i can't complain. heck, i can celebrate!

since WT is a favorite, i imagine the rye version will be stellar.

o and i prefer the old OO label...but the new one is pretty similar.

I enjoy JB Rye neat and WT Rye over ice. OO doesn't do anything for me. I too would like to try JB Rye at a higher proof.

well, JB rye is same price as the OO and they seem to be different beasts to some here, i will give it a shot to.

the OO though is so good, i wouldn't want to mix it...tho i hear it is a natural mixer for ginger ale.

i wonder if a strong rye would mix well with something like canada dry's Bitter Lemon?

I think it would since a whiskey sour is rye or bourbon (or a blended whiskey), lemon and sugar. Bitter lemon is essentially lemons and sugar. Ginger ale is certainly a classic with straight rye, but rye goes well with Coke too. I like the younger ryes next to a beer. The older ones are best taken on their own or with ice or water, IMO.

Gary

well, i am GLAD i got the OO last night. and had a nice, deep, favorable impression.

because i wandered into a store today in search of wine etc for Yule gifts and there it was, Wild Turkey Rye on sale for $15.99....and i am even further blown away by the perfect balance of simplicity and complexity. i would not dare mix this with anything. it was a WT thru and thru...but i could catch the difference between the Rye 101 and the Bourbon 101...either way, wow...

...$15.99...:shocked:

glad i made peace with OGD BIB, but this is what my palate was born to drown in...

and i am even further blown away by the perfect balance of simplicity and complexity. i would not dare mix this with anything. it was a WT thru and thru...but i could catch the difference between the Rye 101 and the Bourbon 101...either way, wow...

Welcome to the rye side... WT Rye is lovely indeed. It's a great all-rounder in the rye world, just as the bourbon 101 is a great all-rounder in bourbonia.

Don't be afraid to try it in some cocktails, though - it makes a great Manhattan, Red Hook, or Sazerac.

For that matter, don't be afraid to try other ryes as well - if you can get any Sazerac rye (BTAC or not), get it - and Rittenhouse BIB is another must-have.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.